Whats up with Female character mods?

CrustyJuggler

Just wanted to get this out there. First and foremost, I appreciate all modders efforts for this game. Its something I don't have time for and don't want to put any one persons work down.

That said.

I, like a lot of people, use predominately female characters for Fallout. I, like a lot of people, like my female character to look good. I've happily downloaded the Type 3 body and some of the race tweaks. I like some of the tight fitting armor in order to make my character look like some sort of hot assassin. Well and good.

But more and more there seem to be these mods that make female characters look like fashion underwear models and not nuclear holocaust survivors. Everything from hairstyles to "armor". Is it silly to anyone else? I know everyone has their own specific tastes but it boggles my mind that there isn't more context related hairstyles and armor to be had. Something that appears functional and believable but still allows for a certain level of hotness. I mean, seriously, what person is going to wander around a nuclear wasteland in a bikini (or less) with a done up hairstyle with flowers and such? I don't know, I guess since I used to mod other games I am a little frustrated that I can't get the type of mods I like.. or at least more of them. It just seems weird that no one else would be interested in making mods more in the likes of, say, Selene (Kate Beckensale) from the Underworld movies. She was a tough ass chick that was hot and could kill everything. Yet she didn't dance around in a bikini with ribbons in her hair. She had a tight ass latex type uniform that seemed to serve some purpose and a normal (non-model) type hairstyle. Again, that's more in context with the fallout universe. After all, with bullets flying everywhere, radiation, and monsters around every turn... the last thing you would want to be in is a bikini and sandals.

That's all from me. Typing it out makes me feel better at least. For all you modders who get me and already make bad ass Fallout universe related mods, keep it up. But to all the bikini makers, its great work but I just have to ask..... why? I've downloaded them like everyone else but after I tried them on my character once and maybe took a posing screenshot, I dropped them and put back on my Chinese stealth suit.

Again, I don't need to put anybodies work down since its more than I could do but I'm just curious.

Re-reading what I posted, I want to clarify that I don't think that there shouldn't be mods for looks only (underwear model type mods) but when it comes to making a female character look good for this game, it seems thats all there is. You can wear a baggy Brahmin skin suit or a S&M chain bikini that leaves nothing to the imagination. There doesn't seem to be much middle ground.

The beauty about modding is that if you do not like a mod, nobody is forcing you to use, see or like it. There ARE mods that give the latex skinsuit you so want, several in fact, so stop whining about mods that you won't use and go download the ones you would.

Well, you posted a thread primarily to criticize some modmakers and then didn't expect to get criticized in return?

I suppose I don't call your primary point ("hey, I don't like some of the mods out there") a "constructive observation."

The short answer is that a lot of folks DO like those types of mods (as anyone can see by the number of downloads) and they're entitled to their opinion as you are to yours. And the individual modmakers obviously like them, and they aren't getting paid for them, so they don't need to answer or apologize to anyone.

As TGBlank said, if you don't like them, don't download them. Simple as that. But I would not recommend starting a whole thread just to talk about why you don't like certain types of mods.

Perhaps this is to your liking, as it is to mine: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=7059

It's nothing totally original, but it does take the Leather Armor and adds a sash of shells, a shotgun holster on the leg, and generally makes the leather armor look more Mad Max-ish. You know, armed to the teeth and all that. I'm sure it would look great for a female character looking to chew bubblegum and kick ass.

I sort of feel the same way as op, but there's really nothing you can do besides DIY or request (which this thread can be taken as.) However, that doesn't mean it's not okay to make an observation on mods in general. Well, at least you have one fact to comfort yourself with: Your character ain't a male. Pffft, good luck trying to find any male hair mods out there!

Here's an observation I've seen about mods in general. There are mods aimed for gritty wastelandish realism and there are mods that add colorful animu people and make the wasteland a colorful place. No matter your preference, there will be plenty of each coming out in the months ahead.

When you do not get to see attractive women in the buff in real life, I guess you do what you can :whistling:

I have yet to play a female character, do you get more out of the female version of the ladykill perk?

ps I keed you all :)

Combat armor is my favorite. It looks like good protection without being too Sci-Fi. I'm including a retexture of female leather armor in my mod that basically just makes it all black, a little more shiny and removes all the haphazard stitching. That may be more to your liking.

I just write off the skimpy costumes to the fact that this game is a fantasy, and men's #1 fantasy is women. I don't go along with the "sexually deprived basement dweller nerd" theory either. I don't try to explain to my wife how, although she looks great naked (truly), I can find images of other naked women appealing. Could be hazardous to my health.

Even the "Selene (Kate Beckensale) from the Underworld movies" look or the Matrix outfits are fantasies. I should think that successful assassins try to be as unremarkable looking as possible. Even ninja didn't dress in all black outfits most of the time. Mostly they dressed like farmers or merchants or priests when making a kill, so I have heard.

I don't see anything wrong with stating your preferences for armor mods though. Might be the only way to see more of the type that you are looking for.

Just wanted to get this out there. First and foremost, I appreciate all modders efforts for this game. Its something I don't have time for and don't want to put any one persons work down.

That said.

I, like a lot of people, use predominately female characters for Fallout. I, like a lot of people, like my female character to look good. I've happily downloaded the Type 3 body and some of the race tweaks. I like some of the tight fitting armor in order to make my character look like some sort of hot assassin. Well and good.

But more and more there seem to be these mods that make female characters look like fashion underwear models and not nuclear holocaust survivors. Everything from hairstyles to "armor". Is it silly to anyone else? I know everyone has their own specific tastes but it boggles my mind that there isn't more context related hairstyles and armor to be had. Something that appears functional and believable but still allows for a certain level of hotness. I mean, seriously, what person is going to wander around a nuclear wasteland in a bikini (or less) with a done up hairstyle with flowers and such? I don't know, I guess since I used to mod other games I am a little frustrated that I can't get the type of mods I like.. or at least more of them. It just seems weird that no one else would be interested in making mods more in the likes of, say, Selene (Kate Beckensale) from the Underworld movies. She was a tough ass chick that was hot and could kill everything. Yet she didn't dance around in a bikini with ribbons in her hair. She had a tight ass latex type uniform that seemed to serve some purpose and a normal (non-model) type hairstyle. Again, that's more in context with the fallout universe. After all, with bullets flying everywhere, radiation, and monsters around every turn... the last thing you would want to be in is a bikini and sandals.

That's all from me. Typing it out makes me feel better at least. For all you modders who get me and already make bad ass Fallout universe related mods, keep it up. But to all the bikini makers, its great work but I just have to ask..... why? I've downloaded them like everyone else but after I tried them on my character once and maybe took a posing screenshot, I dropped them and put back on my Chinese stealth suit.

Again, I don't need to put anybodies work down since its more than I could do but I'm just curious.

Haha dude I agree with you. I laugh everytime I see a new mod that adds new armor, something like "Scout Armor" or "Black Ops Elite" and its some goofy looking bikini and shorts for some chick with triple F tits. Not to dis anyones work, that just my opinion, I get a laugh out of it lol.

Thanks for being good sports everyone :)