Should i buy eve online?

Ranokoa

Well i looked at the website.. it was vague at best. Basically told me it had the same aspects of an online oblivion but slightly different. I dont have the game, and honestly, havent even heard of it anywhere except the forum here on the nexus. It looks good, but i just dont know enough about it.

Can someone tell me the following:

How much is it to buy

How much is it monthly

How BIG is it (in relation to World of Warcraft)

What is the storyline

What kinds of things can you buy

Are you able to have more than 1 ship?

Can you ever get OFF that ship

If you are on the ship, does it have an interior?

What is your favorite thing about the game, in detail.

Is it worth buying?

Is it seperated into servers, and, if so, can one person go to a different server with the same character at will? How many people are able to be on one server

And other usefull things i might need to know, such as the money, how much is nothing how much is something, what it can get me, and all that good stuff.

Thanks.

Be well, sleep well, fight well, live long.

~Ranokoa

Well i looked at the website.. it was vague at best. Basically told me it had the same aspects of an online oblivion but slightly different. I dont have the game, and honestly, havent even heard of it anywhere except the forum here on the nexus. It looks good, but i just dont know enough about it.

Can someone tell me the following:

How much is it to buy

You dont buy it (well, you can buy the boxset, but you dont have to), you download it for free from the website. You do need to pay monthly for an account though). Similarly, any expansions released are also totally free.

How much is it monthly

Payment is quite confusing tbh, there are lots of different ways of paying for it Monthly, quarterly, and yearly subscription, Game Time Cards, and PLEXes - which can be traded in-game - are the main ones, and prices vary between them. Not to mention prices are all in Euros, so they change with the exchange rate. I usually paid for it by buying 60-day GTCs from www.shatteredcrystal.com, for $34.99, you might be able to get a better deal from other GTC traders, or through a different payment method however.

Either way, you get a 14 day free trial, so you can decide whether you like it before paying anything.

I've never played WoW, but Eve Online is at least as big, probably bigger. WoW you have a few thousand people online to play with at a time (per server ofc), Eve you have 50,000 people online to pay with at a time :P

What is the storyline

Pretty much whatever you want it to be. It just drops you into the world, and leaves you to do whatever you want :P

There is a backstory though, here (I think, the website doesnt seem to want to load for me atm so I'm going by google :P), and a LOT of extra lore, stories, etc, so its a very deep, fleshed-out game world.

Anything from ships, to parts for ships (guns, ammo, shield boosters, armour plates, sensor boosters, ECM, etc etc etc), to random trade goods which dont really do much, to prostitutes, and slaves :P (Those dont actually do anything either, but you can still buy them)

You can buy as many ships as you want.

You can leave your ship and fly around in your escape pod, or get in a different ship instead if you have one.

You cant walk around inside your ships, but the next expansion will apparently include the long awaited 'walking in stations' - which basically lets you walk around space stations instead of them basically just being a menu.

Now that is a tough one. Mostly just the huge amount of freedom. When I log in, I can go and do pretty much anything, from sit in a station trading stuff for profit, or hauling it from one place or another, or even building it all from scratch. I could go out and mine minerals (to use for building stuff, or to sell), or I could go hunt pirates (NPCs or players). I could go become a pirate myself - hop into a combat ship, head into low security space, and find some unsuspecting pilot to kill (or bait people in high security space into a position where I can attack them without having the police warp in and punish me). I could join one of the large alliances in 0.0 space, fighting for control of resources and territory - there are regularly vast battles with hundreds and hundreds of ships on each side, and thats before you get into all the political intrigue. This map shows who controls what regions of space, and its always changing, as massive alliances rise and fall. Then of course you have spies :D This was what persuaded me to give the game a try in the first place :P

Theres plenty more, but this post is beginning to get dangerously long, so I'll leave it there.

Is it worth buying?

HELL YEAH!

Is it seperated into servers, and, if so, can one person go to a different server with the same character at will? How many people are able to be on one server

And other usefull things i might need to know, such as the money, how much is nothing how much is something, what it can get me, and all that good stuff.

Its all one big universe, everybody plays on the same server. You frequently get 50,000+ people online at once, all playing together. Its great.

Money can get you almost anything in Eve - bigger, shinier ships, better guns, you could use it to hire a mercenary corporation to destory a rival, you can even buy your own starbases. As for how much is nothing and how much is something... it really depends on what you want to do with it.

I had to clump a few questions together sorry, It wouldnt let me use that many quote boxes :confused:

I played it for a while, it got boring VERY quickly. If you are used to WoW then you should give this serious thought and look around at the info on the web.

Also, there is a lot of uncontrolled ganking / PvP in this game. There is little mercy and you'll often end up in your beginner pod right after finally getting a new ship.

No, you can't ever get off the ship / walk around or anything and that, for me, was the killer. There is just so little to do. The graphics are gorgeous, though.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Cheers.

It depends what you want and how patient you are. Eve Online is a long term investment and it's not a solo game. If you have no intention of playing with others, of finding and joining a corporation/alliance and working with others, then don't bother buying this game because you'll play it for 2 weeks, call it monotonous/boring and leave without ever experiencing 85% of the game. I can't stress how important that is; there is solo PVE and (to a small extent) PVP content but it's not worth the time except for learning the ropes.

What got me most interested in Eve was the economy and politics. The economy is completely player driven so it succums to the whims of the players, not NPCs like in WoW and other games. This means you can play and exploit the market at your own risk; you can try to scam people, you can buy up all the goods on the market to artificially inflate the prices to sell them for a profit later, you can do what you wish in this area.

The politics are no doubt the most interesting part of Eve and I check the "influence map" of the game daily. The map shows all the player driven alliances in the game and what systems have changed hands in the past 24 hours. It can be found here. Each different colour represents an alliance of corporations that contains between 100 - 6000 players, each with their own agendas. There are always wars and conflicts going on across the borders and whole portions of the map regularly change hands. If working towards this political cause doesn't get you giddy then, personally, I wouldn't bother playing Eve. Every other fantasy/sci-fi MMO has tried to incorporate this sort of "realm vs realm" system of land changing hands or providing guilds with land and castles/buildings of their own. Eve Online is the only MMO to do it properly. The mechanics have their faults, mind.

Keywords: patience, economy, politics, PVP, pew pew

Bad words: PVE

My 2 bits:

How much is it to buy

How much is it monthly

As pointed above, eve is a long term game. You should be mentally prepared to pay for the first year. After this you should be in a position to earn enough ISK (in-game money) to buy time codes or PLEXes using ISK. You will need 300-400 million ISK a month.

What is the storyline

There possibly 10K solar systems (including uncharted wormhole systems), each with numerous planets, stations, asteriod belts etc. But these are distances in space, not on ground- and you can have the fastest ship run at full speed for days/years and not get anywhere. The Universe has a central "Empire"- high security area where events such as killing new players are extremely rare.

Note: There are suicide ganks on selected targets, where one (or more) people kill the target and are then destroyed by (NPC) police, and an accomplice steals away the cargo- but this will not happen to you till you are stupid enough to transport goods worth >100 million in a fragile ship.

The 4 races in eve have their respective space in empire, and on the fringes of the Empire there are vast low/null security regions, ruled by alliances (of player corporations). If you venture into low security space as a new player, you are asking for it. Unless of course your corp/alliance has access to the space.

The fact that you will not see another person, or inside of ships or stations or planets is something that has put a lot of people off eve. Especially if you play solo. Future updates will address this issue, but don't hold your breath :)

Er.. I am in love with the game, my view is biased :)

As a new(ish) player I have tried a number of career paths. For me the market is the most fascinating aspect. As nearly all the in-game items are manufactured by players, the whole research, manufacturing and trading aspect attracts me. I am experiemnting with industry nowadays, as I feel that the real money is in manufacturing cheap, and selling high. Trade, though, is something that I will always do in eve, as it brings in money even when you are not playing, compared to Mining and Missions, where your ISK is proportional to the amount of time you play, and thus has an upper limit. Mining I have tried and find a waste of time now, though I had great fun doing it as a new player. Missions I do for fun. Our corp has great fun getting together for missions, and this is a regular feature for us. We also take expeditions into wormhole space, which are great for mindless group massacre.

People who are into PvP (player vs player) swear by it, and I am looking forward to that aspect of the game, and I am sure I will drift into it in a couple of years.

Is it worth buying?

Why don't you try it as it is free. If you send me your email address I will send you a buddy invite that will give you a 3 week free trial instead of the 2 week.

• 1 year later...

I play and love Eve Online.

You can effectively never pay for a single month as you can buy plexs from in game cash or ISK. But you will need a character that can make a clear 600 mill or so ISK every two months.

How big is Eve ?

Well its huge, think of our galaxy put online. Or ever play Elite Frontiers ?

At one time there can be over 50k other people all playing on the same server.

Download the trial and give it a try, no excuses now.

Also the thing about walking about well there is a expansion in development called Incarna where your character will be able to walk about the stations and rent office units, bars shops etc.

In WoW pvp has no meaning in Eve PvP can change the whole political map for thousands of players. And if you do PvP in Eve then don't worry about getting the shakes every pilot does. Been playing on and off since 2003 and I still get them. :teehee:

Been playing for 7 years now,

It has changed over the years and it is a much better game now than it used to be.

Its cheap per month, its like £12 in the UK or something, I currently dont know as I play with 30 day plexes with in-game money (ISK).

It is worth downloading the trial and giving it a bash mate butttt be warned...its a harsh and unpredictable game and there is no such thing as trust and consented pvp.

If your caught with your pants down, you will pay for it.

The pvp is amazing and gameplay is insane, TRY IT