Non-lethal alternative to levelling up piloting?

YetAnotherCat

I don't really like the skill challenge for the piloting skill in this game. I should improve my flight skills through pulling off sick moves and evasions in combat, not just going on wanton murder sprees, completely oblivious to the human lives that I'm ending just to get a cooler ship. Sure, I could use the Vanguard's piloting simulator instead - but that still adds to the ships destroyed statistic and, in a way, almost feels like cheating.

I understand I'm being very vague about what I want, so perhaps an alternative to the skill challenge could be to simply disable enemy ship systems using EM weapons or sheer luck instead of just killing everyone inside? I'm not sure how that would work, or if it'd even be possible without CK2, but any solution is a good one at this point.

I really don't have a problem destroying ships/folks that START the fight with me. Pirates, Ecliptic, Bounty Hunters, etc....... If they show up red in my hud, they are fair game. :D

That I can understand, but I still don't feel like I can take all those lives in good conscience. After all, they gave us EM weapons and diplomacy, if pacifism is even slightly supported in a game, then I like to stick by it.

Easy solution for this, once the kit comes out is to change the requirement. Honestly the challenge doesn't even make sense. Oh great, I am good at fighting in a fighter, now lets put me in a star destroyer.... at least with weapon improvements I can sort of wrap my head around being better at using weapons and getting better results.

A better method would simply be taking a class and paying a fee. Go to a flight school, shell out the cash walk out with that ability.

Easy solution for this, once the kit comes out is to change the requirement. Honestly the challenge doesn't even make sense. Oh great, I am good at fighting in a fighter, now lets put me in a star destroyer.... at least with weapon improvements I can sort of wrap my head around being better at using weapons and getting better results.

A better method would simply be taking a class and paying a fee. Go to a flight school, shell out the cash walk out with that ability.

And that should apply to ANY skill. :) I would LOVE to be able to just fork out some money, have some time pass, and my skill gets improved.