Override mods manage

Lafaerte

I downloaded about 3-4 override mods that manipulates the game RNG, drop table and merchant loot table, some of them can work together, some don't, how do i know what one is working, and change them to whatever i want? i don't know what is active\deactive in-game like dazip files installed via modmanager

is there anyway to manage override mods like we can manage dazip mods at modmanager? mod manager got a section of override mods but i can't simply drag and drop the files or copy and paste at modmanager override folder

Edited by Lafaerte

To 'manage' override mods, in terms of installing/uninstalling them, can be accomplished by using a mod manager, like DAO ModManager (requires the creation of proprietary '.override' archives), DAModder (can handle zip/7zip, and maybe RAR), or a general manager like NMM or Vortex.

That won't help with determining what mod takes precedence when there are conflicting files, though. DAO uses a primitive 'load order' system to accomplish that.

Files in the override folder have priority over DAzip installed mods. And then the override folder itself is subject to a load order of sorts: the folders within the override folder load in reverse alphabetical order from Z-to-A. The game engine is supposed to load the first instance of a file name, and ignore any subsequent files with the same name… in theory, at least. The reality is that sometimes the game will ignore multiple identically named files in override - especially NPC morphs and GDAs - and revert to vanilla.

T

he game will load the folders in override using a simple alpha-numerical reverse order system, with the last folder in 0-9 A-Z being the one that gets priority. (Always put override mods in there own folders... loose files in override can't be 'managed' at all)

So if your override folder has subfolders called

Acme Mod

Best Mod Ever

Change That Thing NOW

My DAO Mod

Really Cool Mod

the game will give them priority in the reverse order:

Really Cool Mod
My DAO Mod

Change That Thing NOW

Best Mod Ever

Acme Mod

with the files in Really Cool Mod being the ones that the game uses, and conflicting files from the other mods being ignored.

Now, if you prefer the changes from Change That Thing NOW, you can 'prioritize' that mod just by changing the name of the folder, so it falls later in the alphabet. The most common prepend is 'zz_' or the like, but other letters can be used to fine-tune the order... and using that technique, the mods can be reordered as

aa_Really Cool Mod

My DAO Mod

zz_Best Mod Ever

zzz_Acme Mod

zzzz_Change That Thing NOW

with the order that the game loads them being the reverse; zzzz_Change That Thing NOW having priority over aa_Really Cool Mod.

Having said all that, it really is best to avoid mod conflicts, rather than trying to work around them with 'load order'.

• 2 weeks later...

wait this is kinda confusing for me... then what if i name my subfolders in alphabet order but inside them there are other folders with numerical orders? like this;

Bugfixes

Clothing

Gameplay

then inside Bugfixes folder there are folders with name 01. aa, 02. ab, 03. ac .....

inside Clothing there are 06. aa, 07. ab, 08. ac .....

and inside Gameplay there are 11. aa, 12. ab, 13. ac .....

How is my load order priority here?