reinstall question - is everything stored in the save file?

Grogrokl

I have to reinstall Oblivion and want to continue my current game, not start over.

Is it enough to just make a backup of the save file and then move it into the new installation? Or do I need to backup other files as well? I have no idea how this works, but perhaps some of the data in my current game is saved in other files than the save file? I have a lot of mods, perhaps those save their data in their own files or something?

Would be very thankful if someone could answer this.

Is the save file enough to backup?

Edited by Grogrokl

If you are not using Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) then all you need is the saves (files with .ess extension). If you do use OBSE then you will also need the OBSE co-save (same base name only with the .obse file extension). Bear in mind that you will need to get your re-installed game's load order back in sync with the mods that were used with the saves. Some missing mods will be OK (e.g. armor or clothing mods, though if your character had them in inventory or equipped it may cause problems), but there are plenty of mods that will crash your save if they are missing.

It is advisable to create a clean save before backuping your savegame. This forces you to get rid of ALL your mods.

If you don't want to lose the mods in your savegame, just screencap your load list and, after reinstalling everything, be sure to replicate the original load list in your new install.

Cheers!