Can Bethesda make more than 255 mods possible?

Sebiale

Since it's a technical issue with the amount of bits that each mod requires, is this something that Bethesda could alter if they so chose or is it some kind of limit that comes from the architecture of computer software?

Edited by Sebiale

As far as I know, they could increase it. Keep in mind, though, that it's just a limit on the esps. I suspect that skyrim isn't designed to draw on more than 250 esps, but you can merge esp's and add additional esms.

In their next game they very well could.

But how would they go about incorporating such change into Skyrim now, when all internal FormIDs already use the format "xxyyyyyy", "xx" being the plugin/master-index, 00-ff = 256 different values? How would they go about re-doing the game's own ESM, all DLCs and every mod ESP or ESM ever created so far and to be created in future, to reflect this major change now?

• 2 weeks later...

In their next game they very well could.

But how would they go about incorporating such change into Skyrim now, when all internal FormIDs already use the format "xxyyyyyy", "xx" being the plugin/master-index, 00-ff = 256 different values? How would they go about re-doing the game's own ESM, all DLCs and every mod ESP or ESM ever created so far and to be created in future, to reflect this major change now?

To be fair, they could do that without altering the esms at all. The engine would need modified slightly, but that's all. Just make the part of the engine that processes the id check if it's 8 or 9 digits. If it's 8, treat it like before. If it's 9, treat it differently. Wouldn't be too difficult. I'm not saying they will, but that shouldn't be a difficult change.

• 1 year later...

Well, I think 255 is GREATLY all you could need. I'd say that after 200 mods you are already having difficult issues with compatibility, load times and such.

Take that back! xD I have 255 plugins no crashes / compatability issues and I STILL WANT MORE, I'm now being forced to merge certain mods. (Serious addiction)

Btw I can't even run my game without Safety Load anymore, even though I thought the SKSE memory patch made that obsolete. (Btw I'm using mod organizer which is a lifesaver, stuff like overwritten files are no longer an issue)

Edited by EmeraldShadow