Level Progress Frozen (PLEASE HELP! This one's a doozy!)

LordSarcasm

So After playing Skyrim for a couple years I finally decided to jump into Oblivion. My opinions on the game aside (there's somethings I like better in Obliviion and some things that don't make sense), I've clocked in over 100 hours. Anyway, just today, I've run into an absolutely infuriating bug (well I'm not screaming about I must not be THAT furious). I've found that I can no longer level up. All of my skills level up, but the progress to next level is frozen. Here's the kicker, it's affecting ALL of my save files. I've started maybe four new games just to see if it's a weird fluke, but I whenever I increase a skill, it doesn't show on the progress bar at the bottom of the screen. I went to an older save before I had that problem, but lo and behold, the problem is affect PREVIOUS saves as well! This has got to be the mother of all glitches because somehow it's affecting the game all the way to the core.

I think it started when I changed my character via console after starting a new game because I needed a break from my Argonian assassin. So I started playing as a battlemage then decided I didn't want to play as a battlemage so I changed my character's class to a custom one. I didn't notice the problem until shortly after that, but I'm not sure that's what caused it. It could have happened earlier but I can't know because I wasn't watching my level bar before that.

Welcome to the problems when using the showracemenu command. If you click the "Done" button you will trigger the bug. Here's what the UESP Wiki has to say about how to avoid the bug:

New racial abilities, benefits and weaknesses do not seem to be awarded properly when you use this menu, although the old ones are removed. WARNING: Using this menu will reset all of your skills to their default initial settings. If you want to save your current skills, you'll have to open the escape menu right before clicking the final "done" button, save the game through the console (save test) and then reload it (load test). After the reload your race and appearance will be changed like you wanted them to be and your skills will not be reset. WARNING: Using this command while wearing bound items may crash the game.

• 3 months later...

I' back at this thread months later because I decided to reinstall Oblivion. Apparently a clean reinstallation didn't fix this either, which is usually how I fix Skyrim in worst case scenarios. Yeah that tip in the above post makes no sense to me, and I've still got a broken game.

Reinstalling the game won't do anything,the problem lies in the save files. If you have a save file before changing your character then use that one and change your character (if you still want to do so) by following what Striker879 posted.

Say I wanted to start a new character anyway. Is that method the only way to fix this, or could I maybe delete all the old saves, and then reinstall? Plus how do save from the console menu, is it actually "save test"?

Edited by LordSarcasm

The console save is "save MySaveName" (no quote marks of course). There's no need to reinstall ... simply start a new character (which will mean doing the tutorial dungeon again).

I use Multiple Oblivion Manager - MOM to handle profiles for my different characters (each with their own different mod list). Before I started using MOM I used the Esc menu saves for my old guy and console named saves for my new guy, making it easy to keep them separate. Now with MOM that's not necessary, though I've continued using console named saves for my new guy and Esc saves for my old guy when I play him.

Another tip if you like changing races etc. is to make a save at the point when you first see the tutorial dungeon sewer exit in the distance. If you ever decide to start a new character you use this save, changing the race, birthsign etc. without needing to redo the entire tutorial.

I didn't change my characters race in console, I just started a whole new game cause I needed a break. I didn't even go into the console at first, I actually changed my character at the gate, before I escaped the dungeon, and even then it was the same race.

Most recently I deleted all my old corrupted saves, and tried the console save in the character creator, but the game said I couldn't do that at that time. Thus I ended up having to press the "done" button anyway.