Ethics on tweaking other people's mods

JayDovahkin

So I've recently released my first two mods to the Nexus, SSEO - Settled Systems Economy Overhaul and SSEO - Outpost Investor. 

The mod rebalances the economy to be more punishing at lower levels, but more rewarding of player progression. I want to know the best way (if there is one) of providing people who download my mods with tweaked versions of other mods on the nexus that would help players make more money in-game from mission boards, contraband etc. Should I release them as "Compatibility" patches? Nothing in our mods conflict per se, so i admit that feels.... wrong 

I contacted the mod authors and got no response, possibly due to the maintenance, but if really like to share these tweaks to values with the community, but I want to be respectful of the work done by these talented guys. Any tips?

Edited by JayDovahkin

Set the originals as masters to your compatibility patches . Whatever you want to tweak on other peoples work can be tweaked by using "copy as override".

Edited by dw420

You just have to wait for the author to reply to you, that's all you can do.

SSEO - Settled Systems Economy Overhaul and SSEO - Outpost Investor.   Stated on the mod page-Permissions and credits

"Modification permission You must get permission from me before you are allowed to modify my files to improve it

Asset use permission You must get permission from me before you are allowed to use any of the assets in this file"

Edited by ZMD78

I believe for compatability patches, as long as links are given and properly sourced, you do not have to wait for permission. This is how it has been for most of Nexus mods history; waiting for permission for patches has never really been a thing. Incorporation of features even really hasn't been a thing to wait for permission on either. It's a courtesy but if you are adding a new spin or making those features a part of a larger mod, I think we haven't really needed permission...I mean how many blood splatter mods would never have been made? etc. etc.