ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

I made a mod using only creation kit. Will it be broken by the recent update?

Dantw2

I made a mod using only creation kit. Will it be broken by the recent update? I worked for hours on it and I would like to release it but I think I am just going to uninstall and play other games because the update broke my game and I don't want to go through the trouble of fixing everything, especially if my save is ruined. My mod is in a pretty much finished state and I tested it but I haven't played since the update broke my game.

The mod uses vanilla resources and as far as I know, shouldn't require SKSE. I would like to release it for others to play, assuming that my mod is compatible with the recent update.

The only way to be sure is to test it. If you can't face going through that process (and I do sympathise) can you get someone to test it for you? In any case, testing on different systems is always a good idea even if it's just to rule out the infamous: It worked perfectly on my machine at home... (which is what many software houses seem to be subscribing to at the moment...)

Hey, I was worried about this too. My mod was made in the creation kit and used vanilla assets and hair assets from KS hairdos. I did have to uninstall a lot of my other mods, and ended up having to launch Skyrim from Steam instead of Vortex, but once I got in game I immediately ran to the area I had added on and it didn't seem to be broken at all! There is one issue where an NPC I added who's using a custom voicetype with no actual audio associated with it won't talk to me, but this may be due to the uninstallation of Fus Ro D'oh and is probably fixable. I also don't know if the KS hairdos are appearing correctly, as the hat-hiding mod I use was also uninstalled and I didn't feel like wrestling with their default outfits with console commands to get their helmets off. But if they're not then I'm not adverse to picking vanilla hairstyles for them instead.

I don't know how comparable our mods are: mine was made entirely in Creation Kit and has no scripts associated with it except for the ones the CK automatically generates.

Most likely the update broke your game because SKSE no longer works. In order to get it to run for me I had to uninstall all the mods that depended on it (and I couldn't remember which ones those were so I just uninstalled all of them). But your mod is not broken, and most likely you'll be able to pick up where you left off when SKSE gets updated. If you had a save with a bunch of mods installed, though, I would recommend not opening it again until that happens, as that really can break things.

It is my understanding that there is a HEDR record in the file header that shows it is made in the newer CK.  The "Version" is 1.710000 under the new CK.  I believe that will not allow it to be run under versions of the game lower than the newest 1.6.11xxx, even if there is no SKSE dependency.  The fix made on one mod was to change this HEDR version number to 1.700000 in SSEEdit.  Please shout out if you KNOW this is wrong, so I won't be causing problems for people.

Okay, in order to test it, I had to delete everything else and reinstall the game. Aside from the creation club mods that are enabled by default since I have the anniversary edition, I just have three of my ESPs and a mod that one of my optional files depends on installed. I tested it for a while and most stuff appears to be working. Strangely, some of my custom weapon enchantments don't seem to be working anymore, at least the visual effects are not working. Maybe it is a bug and one of the bug fix mods like the unofficial patch had some fix for that, I don't know how else to explain the change. I need to test it some more. Does anyone know if the latest update changes the way that the game reads spell/enchantment conditions? Now that I've got creation kit working again, I am going to edit it a little more before releasing.