Anyone know how to read these crash logs?

DarthZanos

I am not new to modding but I have never really learned how to read these crash files. Mainly have troubleshooted the old fashion way, remove one mod at a time following their uninstall steps till I can figure out what broke. The problem here is I have done that over the last two days and I can figure it out. It looks like its the engine fix files but aren't those supposed to fix it not break it? When they are installed and enabled it crashes at logo screen before main menu. If I uninstall them and launch I get an infinite loading screen on the main menu before the UI updates to show the menu options.

But the thing is I had it fully working before I tried using jk's Skyrim and the other jk mods. but I tried removing them and it now doesn't work. Something when I install the jk mods breaks my Skyrim and I can only fix it by a full wipe, then not installing the jk mods when I do it again. So I am trying to learn to read these logs so I can better face the problem. Because I would like to use the jk mods if possible. Anyone got any info or tips? Maybe even the solution?

https://pastebin.com/6FcS5J5X

this comes from r/skyrimmods

If Skyrim Special Edition crashes immediately after you launch it — particularly if your crash log lists memory address 0198090 address (version 1.6.640 address) or 05E1F22 (1.5.97 address) — then you are experiencing one of the following issues:

• You are missing a master file. That is: you have some Mod A that relies on Mod B, but you only installed Mod A and not Mod B.

• More likely: one of your installed mods (or an official content file) may have file format version 1.71, meaning it was made for game version 1.6.1130 or higher. This format is not fully backwards compatible; if you're running an older version of the game, then these files can cause crashes on startup. Installing Backported Extended ESL Support will allow older versions of the game to load these files safely.

Make sure to check the troubleshooting guide for help with crashes and other problems!

• If you are on Skyrim version 1.5 (SE), the .NET Script Framework can also help in diagnosing crashes.

• If you are on Skyrim Version 1.6 (AE) or Skyrim VR, Crash Logger can also help in diagnosing crashes. If you also use MO2, you can use this plugin for improved functionality!

11 hours ago, Deathbringerrr said:

this comes from r/skyrimmods

If Skyrim Special Edition crashes immediately after you launch it — particularly if your crash log lists memory address 0198090 address (version 1.6.640 address) or 05E1F22 (1.5.97 address) — then you are experiencing one of the following issues:

• You are missing a master file. That is: you have some Mod A that relies on Mod B, but you only installed Mod A and not Mod B.

• More likely: one of your installed mods (or an official content file) may have file format version 1.71, meaning it was made for game version 1.6.1130 or higher. This format is not fully backwards compatible; if you're running an older version of the game, then these files can cause crashes on startup. Installing Backported Extended ESL Support will allow older versions of the game to load these files safely.

Make sure to check the troubleshooting guide for help with crashes and other problems!

• If you are on Skyrim version 1.5 (SE), the .NET Script Framework can also help in diagnosing crashes.

• If you are on Skyrim Version 1.6 (AE) or Skyrim VR, Crash Logger can also help in diagnosing crashes. If you also use MO2, you can use this plugin for improved functionality!

That backported ESL support seems to have fixed it. thank you so much

Unhandled exception "EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION" at 0x7FF7B92E8090 SkyrimSE.exe+0198090 mov rax, [rcx+0x30] 

Think of it like this:
It CRASHED!!!!  The problem occur at this memory address, The Skyrim exe registered the exception with this Error number

Above, where it says the error number is the memory address, is the blind leading the blind? I do not know what the error number signifies, so let me give the above brownie point... You are missing a master; truthfully, I do not know.  I will say this: if you experience a start-up crash, straight away run xEdit to diagnose it; if you are lucky, it will tell you the missing master, making the crash log pointless for start-up crashes 

BTW, I know the difference between a memory address and an error integer number because I am a software engineer.

• 3 months later...
On 12/25/2023 at 8:25 PM, DarthZanos said:

It looks like its the engine fix files but aren't those supposed to fix it not break it?

in case you never figured it out, engine fixes doesn't seem to be completely compatible with at least 1170. i had the same issue, and after a day of disabling and booting, i figured it out as the culprit. what you gotta do is disable achievements in its toml file. no idea why but thats the fix i found, and it works just fine now. just do something to give yourself a reminder that thats the issue, in case you need to reinstall a bunch of stuff. i had to spend another day a few weeks later, bc i forgot what the cause was

weirdly it casues esps to be disabled on startup (but not in your mod manager), so if, like with me, theres a dll attached to an esp that gets deactivated, the cash happens bc theres nothing for the dll to point to

• Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 12:24 AM, Silversai213 said:

in case you never figured it out, engine fixes doesn't seem to be completely compatible with at least 1170. i had the same issue, and after a day of disabling and booting, i figured it out as the culprit. what you gotta do is disable achievements in its toml file. no idea why but thats the fix i found, and it works just fine now. just do something to give yourself a reminder that thats the issue, in case you need to reinstall a bunch of stuff. i had to spend another day a few weeks later, bc i forgot what the cause was

weirdly it casues esps to be disabled on startup (but not in your mod manager), so if, like with me, if theres a dll attached to an esp that gets deactivated, the cash happens bc theres nothing for the dll to point to

There is a mod to change the 'settings' too, for anyone looking into this info. Arthmoor explains exactly what is wrong and the required fixes in the posts section of his mod Alternative Start - Live Another Life

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/272?tab=posts

See the 4th pinned post down the list, and he continues to talk about it and fixes, etc farther down with people.