Documentation for creating weapon mods?

minecam123

hey all as the title suggest I've been thinking of creating my own custom mesh weapon/armour mods! I've got the artistic skills however there doesn't seem to be much documentation for implementing those models into the game. Was curious if there's a well rounded modern tutorial on the subject that isn't 15 years old using unsupported blender plug ins lol. So yeah im open to any resources y'all might have to give me an understanding so that i might make my own pipeline for creating these mods. (specifically for FO3/NV)

thanks!

I've been making armors & guns for both games for 5 years now, there's never been the one go-to place for learning the process.
I think most people have developed their own pipelines

I use this, there's literally nothing wrong with the old software from 2010, though I do use the newest NifSkope and export down from Blender 3.0

I did see this video a while back and thought it was pretty useful to understand what the workflow is like for me at least.

There's alot of tiny things I can tell you about making mods which is why it's always difficult to explain these things to new creators.
So really the best way is to learn how to import objects, play with the sizing and positioning, export and hope it works in game and if not, come back here and ask or do some detective work ahahah.
I had zero help at the start and it wasn't until TWO YEARS in someone told me that "L" selects all vertices of a object, "A" selects everything and "P" is to seperate in Blender.

Edited by MuteSignals

On 12/28/2023 at 5:34 PM, MuteSignals said:

I've been making armors & guns for both games for 5 years now, there's never been the one go-to place for learning the process.
I think most people have developed their own pipelines

I use this, there's literally nothing wrong with the old software from 2010, though I do use the newest NifSkope and export down from Blender 3.0

I did see this video a while back and thought it was pretty useful to understand what the workflow is like for me at least.

There's alot of tiny things I can tell you about making mods which is why it's always difficult to explain these things to new creators.
So really the best way is to learn how to import objects, play with the sizing and positioning, export and hope it works in game and if not, come back here and ask or do some detective work ahahah.
I had zero help at the start and it wasn't until TWO YEARS in someone told me that "L" selects all vertices of a object, "A" selects everything and "P" is to seperate in Blender.

Thank you for your message! I've been watching this vid and gathering info from many other places. I've managed to create a sword and have it in game and working perfectly! Only issue is the GECK can't figure out where the textures are seemingly? The textures/mesh are in the data folder in their own respective mesh/texture folders but still no dice : / They're also pointing to "textures\" etc and not the full directory as I've heard can be an issue. image.thumb.png.2446935cea2e54e65c6cda47a2c98847.png

I'm not sure if any of these settings are wrong? but hey ho worth a shot.

22 hours ago, minecam123 said:

Only issue is the GECK can't figure out where the textures are seemingly? The textures/mesh are in the data folder in their own respective mesh/texture folders but still no dice : / They're also pointing to "textures\" etc and not the full directory as I've heard can be an issue.

I'm not sure if any of these settings are wrong? but hey ho worth a shot.

If your mesh is appearing with the 'ground' texture on in the GECK, instead of the one you made...

Idk lol, sometimes it shows for me sometimes it doesn't, I don't tend to really care as long as it works ingame, thats enough for me.
It is probably a directory issue either requiring a full address incuding C:/etc for the texture or in binalized format maybe like a .bsa?
the only time it doesnt show usually is when I'm retexturing a pre-existing mesh, not custom.

Glad to hear it all works though

On 12/31/2023 at 9:18 PM, MuteSignals said:

If your mesh is appearing with the 'ground' texture on in the GECK, instead of the one you made...

Idk lol, sometimes it shows for me sometimes it doesn't, I don't tend to really care as long as it works ingame, thats enough for me.
It is probably a directory issue either requiring a full address incuding C:/etc for the texture or in binalized format maybe like a .bsa?
the only time it doesnt show usually is when I'm retexturing a pre-existing mesh, not custom.

Glad to hear it all works though

Hey sorry turns out all i had to do was restart my pc lol (goddamn GECK) it's all working perfectly now, textures and all : )

20231231115423_1.jpg

On 1/2/2024 at 5:38 PM, minecam123 said:

Hey sorry turns out all i had to do was restart my pc lol (goddamn GECK) it's all working perfectly now, textures and all : )

I have often said that the GECK is really a secret Vault-Tec experiment designed to test modder's frustration levels.

Glad you got it working.

On 1/3/2024 at 8:53 PM, MuteSignals said:

Haha nice one, I guess you're gunna try your hand at outfits now right?

i was curious yeah! I'm currently trying my hand at a gun now just to build up the familiarity with the pipeline!