We are aware aware of an issue with authentication on the site. See our status page for details. ×

Game refuses to launch; idk if it's my large mod order or issues with a specific mod "EXCEPTION_PRIV_INSTRUCTION"

Hi,

After days upon days of downloading tons of mods, tweaking my mod list, fiddling with the Creation Kit to convert mods to ESLs/ESL flagged ESPs, I 'm finally ready to play the game.

Problem is that it launches, shows as running both in Steam and Task Manager, then crashes before it can go fullscreen and load the main menu.

I've tried googling for the error message, but nothing so far has worked; changing my load order relating to my skeleton mods did nothing, cleaning and ditching problematic mods did nothing. Some posts recommended more debug tools, but none of them work with my up-to-date MO2 installation.

So I'm giving up, and asking for help. I've attached the latest Crash Logger report, and a converted report for the sake of including everything I have.

I would appreciate any and all help, including "you missed this, you absolute walnut" posts.

Thank you in advance for reading my post!

Edit: I forgot to mention that the game updated to 1.6.1170 while I was working on this mod loadout, so I'm not sure if it has anything to do with mods meant for 1.6.1130 that just aren't playing nice with the game right now, and need to be updated.

crash-2024-02-02-08-37-32-REPORT.txt crash-2024-02-02-08-37-32.log

Look in your ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE folder (I made a shortcut to my desktop for this folder).  Inside you will find logs for virtually all of your SKSE-based mods, which could definitely be affected by the update process currently in play.

Two basic ways to use this info:

Look at the skse64.log, read down the wall of text, looking for .dll files that did not load properly, OR

Arrange the contents of the folder in descending 'Date Modified' order, and look for the first mod that did NOT update along with the others (works best if you have the time in YYYY/MM/DD format).  This can be a quick(er) method of locating problematic .dlls.

There is a wiki on the Nexus to help with finding updated SKSE-based mods ( https://modding.wiki/en/skyrim/users/skse-plugins ).  Good luck!

12 hours ago, 7531Leonidas said:

Look in your ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\SKSE folder (I made a shortcut to my desktop for this folder).  Inside you will find logs for virtually all of your SKSE-based mods, which could definitely be affected by the update process currently in play.

Two basic ways to use this info:

Look at the skse64.log, read down the wall of text, looking for .dll files that did not load properly, OR

Arrange the contents of the folder in descending 'Date Modified' order, and look for the first mod that did NOT update along with the others (works best if you have the time in YYYY/MM/DD format).  This can be a quick(er) method of locating problematic .dlls.

There is a wiki on the Nexus to help with finding updated SKSE-based mods ( https://modding.wiki/en/skyrim/users/skse-plugins ).  Good luck!

Thank you so much for your response!

Looking at the linked chart, I found that Scaleform Translation Plus Plus NG was indeed incompatible with 1.6.1170, updating that meant that the game didn't immediately crash!

Getting the updated version of EngineFixes.toml also seemed to help for a bit.

However, now I have the problem where the menu will "*almost* load, so I'll see the silver dragon, the mist coming from the bottom of the screen, and then the game will crash before the menu loads properly, and the dragon turns gold.

CrashLogger is now at least giving me much more useful advice about which plugins are having issues, so I now have a more concrete idea of what to do next.

Thanks again friend!