QUESTS: Failed to get owner quest for unowned conditions

When I try to add a condition to a spell I get the warning message: "QUESTS: Failed to get owner quest for unowned conditions."

And then I cannot actually add the condition as it disappears. This has completely shut down work on my mod and I have no idea how to fix it.

Does anyone know why I'm getting this error and how to fix it?

Conditions that require an underlying quest, like getIsAliasRef, cannot be used with magiceffects or spells.  They can only be used in scenes, topicinfos, objectives and the like.  You can recognize these conditions from the fact they are parametrized with something that is defined on a quest, but do not allow you to specify the quest explicitely.

Conditions like getVMQuestVariable ask you for the quest, and the variable, and are therefore usable anywhere.  GetIsAliasRef asks for the alias, but leave the quest implied and can therefore only be used in contexts where the owning quest is already implicitly identified by the object that holds the condition.

On 2/10/2024 at 3:06 PM, scorrp10 said:

You would have to describe in more detail what sort of condition you are trying to add.

Are you trying to check  conditional property of a quest?

I've tried adding a condition to a spell, to an effect and to a dialogue option and nothing works.

For example let's say you want a spell to only work on a target who's a guard or whatever. Well, when I try to add that the condition disappears.

Or if I want a dialogue option to only be available when talking to anyone belonging to the Whiterun Citizens faction. Well, I add that condition and it disappears.

This happens with every condition in any place where you can add it. Quests, spells, dialogue, anything.

On 2/10/2024 at 4:09 PM, xkkmEl said:

Conditions that require an underlying quest, like getIsAliasRef, cannot be used with magiceffects or spells.  They can only be used in scenes, topicinfos, objectives and the like.  You can recognize these conditions from the fact they are parametrized with something that is defined on a quest, but do not allow you to specify the quest explicitely.

Conditions like getVMQuestVariable ask you for the quest, and the variable, and are therefore usable anywhere.  GetIsAliasRef asks for the alias, but leave the quest implied and can therefore only be used in contexts where the owning quest is already implicitly identified by the object that holds the condition.

It's not due to the condition. I've tried many different conditions with quests, dialogue or spells and the same problem occurs with every single one.

Can't imagine why you'd get that behavior on getFactionRank... except if you are running it on a quest alias, or are testing a faction that is foreign to your mod and defined in a non-master esp.  But even if you were doing these things, the condition would be invalid but still appear in the CK.

Are you trying to place the condition on a pre-existing object, that is perhaps not defined in a master referenced by your esp?

26 minutes ago, xkkmEl said:

Can't imagine why you'd get that behavior on getFactionRank... except if you are running it on a quest alias, or are testing a faction that is foreign to your mod and defined in a non-master esp.  But even if you were doing these things, the condition would be invalid but still appear in the CK.

Are you trying to place the condition on a pre-existing object, that is perhaps not defined in a master referenced by your esp?

I just did the following right after you posted this:

1. Started up the creation kit in administrator mode.
  2. Loaded up Skyrim.esm and Update.esm.
  3. Waited for the creation kit to load them.
  4. Clicked away the error messages that you always get when loading up something in the creation kit.
  5. Went to "Spell."
  6. Right-clicked and clicked "New."
  7. Made "Spell" the ID and "Spell" the name.
  8. Clicked "Ok."
  9. Clicked "ok" when it said there were no effects.
  10. Opened up the spell again.
  11. Right-clicked among the effects and clicked "new."
  12. Added "AbWaterwalking" as the effect.
  13. Added a duration of 6 seconds.
  14. Right-clicked in the "Conditions" part of the effect and clicked "new."
  15. Got the error "QUESTS: Failed to get owner quest for unowned conditions. "Yes to all" will disable all warnings for this context."
  16. Clicked it away.
  17. Selected as "Condition Function" the "GetFactionRank" one.
  18. Clicked ok (left it on "==" and "1.0000").
  19. There is now no condition (as seen in the picture).
  20. I click "ok" on the effect.
  21. Creation Kit is basically frozen because I cannot click "ok" or "cancel" out of the effect anymore.
  22. I have to shut down the creation kit (get an "error" sound in the background when I do this but no visible text of any kind).

That's the entire thing.

2024-02-12 15_20_01-Effect Item.jpg

17 hours ago, scorrp10 said:

Looks like you need Creation Kit Fixes.   I get the same warnings in my log window, but I can add conditions to things just fine.

I still don't know what the actual problem was and I don't know what magic the developers of this extender used that solved it, but it works perfectly now and the problem is solved. I can add conditions again.

Thank you!