How to simulate window view of a make-pretend moving vehicle by moving the player?

VanyarElf

Basically, I'm trying to do something very simple which is proving to be very challenging. Let us say in the context of Skyrim, I want to fake a cinematic sequence of the player riding in a carriage, but maybe it's supposed to be some special vehicles and I'm not going through the hassle of actually making any moving vehicle.

Instead, I just need to disable the player's controls, then push the player in a certain direction at a certain speed, let's say along some road, as the world goes by, and make sure their screen displays some kind of peeping-hole window with say, the illusion of an empty carriage seat and the roof corners in the edges of the screen, with only the middle hole/window being transparent.

Alternatively, although this will be more complicated, I could try allowing the player looking around inside the carriage in first-person including the windows.

2 problems:

A. I might be stupid but I have no idea how to accomplish the '2D view', which should theoretically involve just taking a picture of a carriage seat POV with a window in the middle, making the window alpha channel, and then 'pasting it' on the player's screen for the duration of the sequence like an Imagespace Modifier, but I have no idea how to do that. Imagespace Modifier and Imagespaces only allow for effects, not for pasting a JPG/DDS on the player's screen.

B. No idea how to do the latter 3D view either. Presumably I'd place the player in a chair and put static carriage walls and a roof around it, but I can't find a way to move static objects together with the player in real-time. Does it need to be a moveable object, and if so how to make it unaffected by gravity or anything else while moving in sychnronity with the player? Another idea I had was creating a static vehicle with interior textures and making the player wear it as an armor so when they look around ( Because it's much bigger and encompasses them ) they just see the interior, and then moving the player will move it too - would that even work?

Appreciate any advice.

I wouldn't even know where to start with this, but if you have Fallout 3 take a look at the Presidential Metro Train in the Broken Steel DLC, they made a train out of a hat. 

On 2/15/2024 at 9:36 PM, JimboUK said:

I wouldn't even know where to start with this, but if you have Fallout 3 take a look at the Presidential Metro Train in the Broken Steel DLC, they made a train out of a hat. 

Or the sequence when first leaving DC to visit Point Lookout. I think they make a boat to wear on player but I am not totally sure.

I think in both case they made boat/train as an armo item to wear on player. Then having player move through real map cell: Pres Metro cell is interior, while Point Lookout pier is exterior. These are all 3D space.

As the case of Salt Lake Stories, I think they make car and 2Dworldmap as armor on each hand. Thus the 2D car move on a customized SL 2d map. The actual cell is hidden by the map, I think.

Edited by laclongquan

• 3 weeks later...

The way it's already done in game with fake elevators, for instance, is like how it is done in movie: the player will be in a fixed environment with some windows/see thru and the whole decor around would be moving.