Concerned about having different playthroughs(NEW PROBLEM)

NextTurnLeft

I have become interested in working on modding CK for fallout 4 and eventually want to get into things like scripts, however I do not know where to test them. I currently have an enclave playthrough using america rising 2 and scrap everything so i can build settlements better.

Would like some help, because I really dont want to break my current games(I am getting kinda bored of it tho lol). Thanks.

(UPDATE) Now worried about Fallout London coming up and having another playthrough dedicated as a "rebuilding the commonwealth" playthrough just rebuilding settlements and having new ones with a load of new settlement mods. Does not involve sim settlements or anything like that.

Edited by NextTurnLeft
a

If you use a mod manager, you should be able to create a new profile for testing that won't affect your save games, so the question is:

Do you use a mod manager?  if so, which one.

If you don't then you can start to use MO2, which will allow you to manipulate your esps and load order  and give you access to profiles.  You will still have all your mods in the game folder, but you will at least have access to profiles and different save folders.

The CK does work best on a vanilla game with a minimum of mods installed.  The more plugins you have enabled the more processing is required by the CK to load it.  Editing 1 or 2  plugins in a vanilla install will load far faster then editing those same plugins embedded in a modlist of even 20 additional plugins.  I have had as many as 7 to 800 plugins in a modlist.  At that point the ck would just crash, but my point is CK work is best done in a mostly vanilla environment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sattyre said:

If you use a mod manager, you should be able to create a new profile for testing that won't affect your save games, so the question is:

Do you use a mod manager?  if so, which one.

If you don't then you can start to use MO2, which will allow you to manipulate your esps and load order  and give you access to profiles.  You will still have all your mods in the game folder, but you will at least have access to profiles and different save folders.

The CK does work best on a vanilla game with a minimum of mods installed.  The more plugins you have enabled the more processing is required by the CK to load it.  Editing 1 or 2  plugins in a vanilla install will load far faster then editing those same plugins embedded in a modlist of even 20 additional plugins.  I have had as many as 7 to 800 plugins in a modlist.  At that point the ck would just crash, but my point is CK work is best done in a mostly vanilla environment.

I just use the typical Vortex mod manager.

So then use a vortex profile.  I don't know much about vortex, but i do know you can create vortex profiles to have different versions of the same game, and different saves.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 11:53 AM, NextTurnLeft said:

I just use the typical Vortex mod manager.

As sattyre said, you can absolutely create extra profiles in vortex. I fothe do for different style playthroughs or to test mods as what happens in one profile will not bork up the other.

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP: 

Step 1 Clone your profile

Step 2: COpy/paste your savegame files into the new profile

NOw you ahve forked your game one original and one you cna do edits on. 

Mods done on one profile do not affect the other (unless you not just disable but actually "remove" a mod in one profile them it can affect others)

Okay so an update on this, I decided to just say "screw the enclave playthrough" and deleted all saves of it. I was hoping to start a playthrough dedicated to rebuilding the commonwealth object by object with many settlement mods as inspired by a youtube series for f4, but im also looking VERY forward to fallout: london. Fallout London is a different case because it involves a complete rework of the game, even the main menu, but I want a different playthrough too just for those mods. 

I dont think it is possible to have both playthroughs at all without conflicts, but hopefully I can work something out.

3 hours ago, NextTurnLeft said:

I dont think it is possible to have both playthroughs at all without conflicts, but hopefully I can work something out.

If you use Mod Organizer, I have multiple portable installs, each one can be completely different.  When Fallout London shows up, I plan on making a build dedicated just to that.  Just to be clear, I do install MO2 multiple times.  You are stuck with the same enb as well as other Root level mods, but even the enb can be gotten around with an enb swapper.  I don't remember what it's called off hand.