IT JUST WORKS (Issue resolved)

Bourboncigar

So for some reason my game decide to roll back to using german voices, instead of english ones.

The UI is still in english though.

This happened completely random. Have tested mods in question many times before, since I value relatively bug free gameplay.

language never changed. ever.

The last mod that was added to to the list was botox for skyrim, idk shouldnt really cause any issue of that sort.

I set it to english ages ago, when I disconnected it from any updates, and made the Appmanifest read only.

The only Time I tampered with the game files was for enb, and moving xedits scripts folder. nothing else was deleted or added.  I dont use mods in any language except english. havent touched the Language settings in MO ever before this bug occured as far as I can remember.

changing the ini in mo2 doesnt do jack.

ini in original game folder also in english.

checked steam, game still wants to update, so version is correct.

also set to english still

I wouldnt mind,  german voice acting is good, but those Khajiit Voices just make your ears bleed, and the argonians sound like even heavier smokers.

So is this Todd trying to force himself back into my Game, or has someone ever experienced this bizzarre Phenomenon?

EDIT: after deleting the voices_ger0.bsa (that I hadnt noticed before)

I simply changed the voices bsa in both inis (Documents and MO2) from voices_ger0 to voices_en0.
Save, done.

(also if anyone has a similar bug and reads this, do not delete shyt if theres only one voices bsa in the folder. Except If you hate talking npcs).

SUSTENANCE !!!!

Edited by Bourboncigar
issue resolved

Afaik, you can switch the game language by changing a setting in Skyrim.ini (aside from any peculiarities a given mod might introduce to its content)

sLanguage=ENGLISH

Should be the first entry below the header at top page in the ini file

And just in case you're not aware already, Skyrim.ini is located in your /Documents/My Games/Skyrim Special Edition/ folder.

Hope it helps, good luck 

PS> I've found it useful to create a series of shortcuts to various areas like the Skyrim.ini file location, Racemenu preset folder, player meshes and textures, etc, and store them in their own folder that I drop into the desktop for easy access. Open skyrim shortcuts folder, double click loc entry, and bam you're there, no pissing around with memorizing folder locations and navigating the file manager.... fyi fwiw ymmv blah blah blah)

Also, since you're using Mod Organizer, check the .ini's in your MO profiles too, as well as any contained in your mods' folders.  Definitely sounds like something somewhere is set to the wrong language!

On 2/26/2024 at 10:18 AM, anjenthedog said:

PS> I've found it useful to create a series of shortcuts to various areas like the Skyrim.ini file location, Racemenu preset folder, player meshes and textures, etc

Yah, I have those kinds of places (Steam compatdata, Mod Organizer's folders, etc.) linked in my Skyrim folder in Documents, right next to my screenshots folder.  I take a lot of screenshots, so it's a handy place for me to look from.

Edited by AaronOfMpls
I accidentally a word

16 minutes ago, AaronOfMpls said:

...Definitely sounds like something somewhere is set to the wrong language!

Yah, I have those kinds of places (Steam compatdata, Mod Organizer's folders, etc.) linked in my Skyrim folder in Documents, right next to my screenshots folder.  I take a lot of screenshots, so it's a handy place for me look from.

If it's not just one-offs (some item, building, cave, ruin, house, character etc improperly addressed in another language than the expected), I'd think it was the general setting, but...maybe not.

And yes, Skyrim screen shots are one of mine. ( I call them snapshots but whatever)

about half are shown

Spoiler

partial-listing.jpg.4a09013ddd34ade5527af2dad292cdaf.jpg

On 2/26/2024 at 5:18 PM, anjenthedog said:

Afaik, you can switch the game language by changing a setting in Skyrim.ini (aside from any peculiarities a given mod might introduce to its content)

sLanguage=ENGLISH

Should be the first entry below the header at top page in the ini file

And just in case you're not aware already, Skyrim.ini is located in your /Documents/My Games/Skyrim Special Edition/ folder.

Hope it helps, good luck 

PS> I've found it useful to create a series of shortcuts to various areas like the Skyrim.ini file location, Racemenu preset folder, player meshes and textures, etc, and store them in their own folder that I drop into the desktop for easy access. Open skyrim shortcuts folder, double click loc entry, and bam you're there, no pissing around with memorizing folder locations and navigating the file manager.... fyi fwiw ymmv blah blah blah)

My guy.

That was precisely it. Somehow the ini in the documents was still set to german.

Interestingly enough around the same time this bugged out MO2 went back to ger 2. Didnt change the UI however (only the setting), so didnt see it

til I looked closer. Suspect either its the infinite hellscape that modding is, or in some stupor I took a dump, that I´ll probably regret later....

I also found out that this sneaky basterd spawned a ger voices bsa.

Looked a bit through the ini and the game doesnt seem to even list the english voices.

So I just deleted the ger bsa.

Now its quiet. very relaxing. not sure if I shouldnt just keep it this way, since it would make unvoiced mods so much more immersive.

38 minutes ago, AaronOfMpls said:

Also, since you're using Mod Organizer, check the .ini's in your MO profiles too, as well as any contained in your mods' folders.  Definitely sounds like something somewhere is set to the wrong language!

Yah, I have those kinds of places (Steam compatdata, Mod Organizer's folders, etc.) linked in my Skyrim folder in Documents, right next to my screenshots folder.  I take a lot of screenshots, so it's a handy place for me look from.

I do keep me some shortcuts.

Mos inis are fine as far as Ive checked

However whats compdata? never heard that term yet.

25 minutes ago, anjenthedog said:

And yes, Skyrim screen shots are one of mine. ( I call them snapshots but whatever)

about half are shown

Manjaro Linux here (with XFCE desktop environment set to a dark theme), so my file browser looks a little different from the Windows one:

Spoiler

Screenshot_2024-02-26_12-27-17_c.png.c4d4001216b4cc722d643d37f6042f2d.png

The shortcut-arrow icons are symlinks, which work a bit differently from Windows shortcuts in that programs can treat them as actual file and folder locations, regardless of where they "really" are in the file system.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bourboncigar said:

However whats compdata? never heard that term yet.

It probably doesn't exist on your system, if you're on Windows.    I'm on Linux -- and Steam for Linux has compatibility stuff (Wine/Proton) to let you run Windows games on it.

34 minutes ago, AaronOfMpls said:

It probably doesn't exist on your system, if you're on Windows.    I'm on Linux -- and Steam for Linux has compatibility stuff (Wine/Proton) to let you run Windows games on it.

So Linux version of Steam with Wine can for example run a Win Version of Skyrim?

neat.

Hows it generally regarding comp with programs? (since a lot of stuff is win only)

6 minutes ago, Bourboncigar said:

How is it terms of graphics, perf and comp?  Do you just need a win version of a program because emulator?

It works pretty well, in my experience.  Though some games need settings tweaks (like specific versions of Steam Proton) to run correctly -- which you can find in various places online (like ProtonDB for Steam games, WineHQ's AppDB for for Windows programs in general (in Wine), and some individual games' fan sites).  Definitely Google around a bit for specific games you might want to play. 

And definitely Google around if you play heavy online multiplayer games (like MMOs).  Some of their Windows anti-cheat software doesn't work well on Linux.

Then, too depending on what you play, you might find some of your games have Linux versions already. 

Also, side note: Running old MS-DOS games was solved a long time ago by DOSBox -- which has had Windows, Mac, and Linux versions (among others) from a pretty early date.