Looking for mod - Subway tunnel segments with curves

dferstat

19 hours ago, RoNin1971 said:

I admire your persistence, but you keep failing to see the issue. Non of those pieces is supposed to link up seamless with itself to form a perfect 30, 45, 90 etc. turn. Look at my graph and imagine what happens if you move or resize those "pie pieces" ... it won't fit anymore! You CAN NOT get these pieces to snap to your grid.

Not the usual way. But... I don't know if you still have 3ds or if you switched to blender... 3ds has a PathDeform modifier. It allows you to stretch any object onto a spline. Accordingly, you can see an example... A straight tunnel can be bent at any angle without deforming the meshes. What's interesting about this modifier is that it allows you to create a tunnel shape instantly. Simply by manipulating the spline, bending it and setting any percentages and angles you want, you can create a tunnel of any shape with any starting and ending angle. You only need one direct tunnel. After setting the form, bake it ResetXForm>CollapsTo. If a collision is attached to a model, it is deformed along with the model.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/v7KfA2O8S-vMfA

Edited by South8028
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, South8028 said:

Not the usual way. But... I don't know if you still have 3ds or if you switched to blender... 3ds has a PatchDeform modifier. It allows you to stretch any object onto a spline. Accordingly, you can see an example... A straight tunnel can be bent at any angle without deforming the meshes. What's interesting about this modifier is that it allows you to create a tunnel shape instantly. Simply by manipulating the spline, bending it and setting any percentages and angles you want, you can create a tunnel of any shape with any starting and ending angle. You only need one direct tunnel. After setting the form, bake it ResetXForm>CollapsTo. If a collision is attached to a model, it is deformed along with the model.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/v7KfA2O8S-vMfA

I'm using Blender for my modelling. Works similar. I join everything to 1 object (including collision geometry). Apply a simple deform (Bend, 15, Z) and 'convert' that to a mesh. Separate by material & separate the collision by segments.

Export the nif for the mesh and 1 for collison. Then I convert that one to a Fo4 collison with 3DS 2013.

...but that's not the point / issue.

These tunnels need an exact starting & corresponding end point.

You can't 'stretch' a 15degree piece, without making it non-15degrees. You can't move it to center the insertion point, as it needs to be where it is, to put it seamless connecting with any vanilla tunnel, on your grid. Every next part will NOT snap to any grid as the coordinates don't fit on it.

After a 90 degrees turn it will once again align seamless with any vanilla tunnel piece.

So the diameter needs to be a grid point. The tunnels [the 3 different sizes] MUST be 640 points apart & the angle should be 15 degrees.

There is absolutely no way to place the 2nd-6th part of a 90 degrees turn using "snap to grid", unless the grid is set for 0.5 or something like that. No "BGS method" is going to change that.

15 minutes ago, RoNin1971 said:

I'm using Blender for my modelling. Works similar. I join everything to 1 object (including collision geometry). Apply a simple deform (Bend, 15, Z) and 'convert' that to a mesh. Separate by material & separate the collision by segments.

Export the nif for the mesh and 1 for collison. Then I convert that one to a Fo4 collison with 3DS 2013.

...but that's not the point / issue.

These tunnels need an exact starting & corresponding end point.

You can't 'stretch' a 15degree piece, without making it non-15degrees. You can't move it to center the insertion point, as it needs to be where it is, to put it seamless connecting with any vanilla tunnel, on your grid. Every next part will NOT snap to any grid as the coordinates don't fit on it.

After a 90 degrees turn it will once again align seamless with any vanilla tunnel piece.

So the diameter needs to be a grid point. The tunnels MUST be 640 points apart & the angle should be 15 degrees.

There is absolutely no way to place the 2nd-6th part of a 90 degrees turn using "snap to grid", unless the grid is set for 0.5 or something like that.

With PathDeform you can apply multiple bends to a single object. For example, a tunnel may have a starting and ending angle of 90 degrees, but its middle section will be bent at an angle of 15 degrees. There will be a transition. You can create a long tunnel with the entrance and exit of a straight tunnel and bend it in an S shape in the middle. By controlling the percentages of the modifier, you can set the model input to the coordinates of the spline starting point. By initially setting a straight spline, you can accurately measure the length of the tunnel. Once you have created the curve, you can mirror the tunnel and assemble a model with the specified entry and exit angles. This far exceeds the capabilities of the Bend modifier.

44 minutes ago, South8028 said:

With PathDeform you can apply multiple bends to a single object. For example, a tunnel may have a starting and ending angle of 90 degrees, but its middle section will be bent at an angle of 15 degrees. There will be a transition. You can create a long tunnel with the entrance and exit of a straight tunnel and bend it in an S shape in the middle. By controlling the percentages of the modifier, you can set the model input to the coordinates of the spline starting point. By initially setting a straight spline, you can accurately measure the length of the tunnel. Once you have created the curve, you can mirror the tunnel and assemble a model with the specified entry and exit angles. This far exceeds the capabilities of the Bend modifier.

Thats all nice, but irrelevant for this specific case. There is 1 piece, at 15degrees, which gets a specific distance/length based on the diameter.

This 1 piece can be used to create any turn with steps of 15 degrees. Just look at my graph. those 6 'pie pieces' are 6x1 and the same mesh.

Sure, I could create 6 different pieces, each with a different insertion point, to fit on the grid for a 30, 45 or 90 degrees turn, which no longer fits if you deviate from that turn by using a straight piece along the way for example. I could create a single 45 or 90 degrees turn which has its insertion point on grid etc. ... but its going to be a cold day in hell before I'm creating a ton of 1 and the same tunnel piece, each with different insertion points just to fit 1 specific spot within a turn.

Only when using the piece to create a turn like my graph, (so no straight pieces, or bending the other way etc.) could it be done by using the 'circle center' around which they all rotate, as insertion point. This should always be on grid & the same point for all 6 pieces (for a 90 degrees turn).

However, this method does nothing for non-90 degrees, as the end point (where to insert a straight or whatever piece needs to be placed) still is off-grid.

2 hours ago, RoNin1971 said:

Thats all nice, but irrelevant for this specific case. There is 1 piece, at 15degrees, which gets a specific distance/length based on the diameter.

This 1 piece can be used to create any turn with steps of 15 degrees. Just look at my graph. those 6 'pie pieces' are 6x1 and the same mesh.

Sure, I could create 6 different pieces, each with a different insertion point, to fit on the grid for a 30, 45 or 90 degrees turn, which no longer fits if you deviate from that turn by using a straight piece along the way for example. I could create a single 45 or 90 degrees turn which has its insertion point on grid etc. ... but its going to be a cold day in hell before I'm creating a ton of 1 and the same tunnel piece, each with different insertion points just to fit 1 specific spot within a turn.

Only when using the piece to create a turn like my graph, (so no straight pieces, or bending the other way etc.) could it be done by using the 'circle center' around which they all rotate, as insertion point. This should always be on grid & the same point for all 6 pieces (for a 90 degrees turn).

However, this method does nothing for non-90 degrees, as the end point (where to insert a straight or whatever piece needs to be placed) still is off-grid.

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/2SKS1aSWzDQ4Mg

Here, look what I meant. Entrance and exit 90 degrees. You can export a tunnel of any length... It can be as long as the entire map of the Commonwealth. The smoother the arc, the better. The main thing is that the size of each mesh does not exceed 65k polygons. It is best to immediately draw up a map of the tunnel in the form of a spline and run the tunnel along the spline. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Qrsr said:

You are a miracle South8028

Your remark is unnecessary, since you will not be able to use this tunnel in your work. It is not compatible with vanilla models. I want to build this tunnel for my train. I have a model of an American diesel locomotive and in 3ds there is a controller that allows you to run this diesel locomotive along the same spline as the tunnel. If I put together a map with tunnels, stations and a diesel locomotive, then, naturally, I will share the models with you. But I don't know when this will happen because I'm in the process of moving to a new apartment.

20 hours ago, South8028 said:

https://disk.yandex.ru/d/2SKS1aSWzDQ4Mg

Here, look what I meant. Entrance and exit 90 degrees. You can export a tunnel of any length... It can be as long as the entire map of the Commonwealth. The smoother the arc, the better. The main thing is that the size of each mesh does not exceed 65k polygons. It is best to immediately draw up a map of the tunnel in the form of a spline and run the tunnel along the spline. 

23 hours ago, RoNin1971 said:

in addition to that: I can create any kind of tunnel, any length,/size going up/down/left/right... whatever. But, again, that is not the issue here.

This is about 1 .nif object in CK, for those who do not have the skills to do it themselves in 3DS/Blender & a user hell-bend on using "snap to grid" with that 1 object.

So, a "how to create a tunnel with 3DS" is 100% irrelevant.