Could not parse this line.

ghowriter

I am trying to test my custom race in the game. I am told that the console command "player.getrace" should return my player's race but no, it instead returns "Could not parse this line." My search of this forum and Google and Bing turned up nothing. I am not using any mod organizer and will not even consider it. I am not using SKSE and, again, will not even consider it. I also tried to check if my character has a specific perk, my race's racial perk, but that returns no information. The console even tells me my per ID is not in the form of perk. I checked everything and then double checked and (1) my race is on the list of races and I can select her and configure her; (2) when she enters helgen keep with Ralof and after he removes her bindings she has all the abilities the perk applies to the race including a stagnant magic effect on her skin and (3) the game still will not parse the player.getrace or give the form id for the perk... the entire point of checking this perk info in game is to try to ascertain the perk owner so I can adjust certain perk entry points accordingly or to verify that they are being applied accordingly. SSEEdit tells me my perk form is 0100184E but when I enter player.hasperk 0100184E in the console I get told that the script couldnt compile which has me thinking my fresh install has an issue (my CK cannot compile any new script and ALWAYS gives an error when checking existing scripts --- sone nonsense about a missing script that cannot be missing since I just reinstalled everything in order to remove SKSE. I had Steam verify game files just in case and it verified successfully.

This issue has been ongoing since I reinstaleld Skyrim SE and I really need to fix it, please. I won't, however, install any mod organizer os SKSE so if that's your final answer, then don't bother. I will simply uninstall and shelve Skyrim as unplayable.

Closest I know of is getisrace command.    

I.e. 

player.getisrace nordrace

Will return 1 if player is Nord, 0 otherwise.

One thing I can tell you: without a mod organizer or SKSE, your modding experience will be a most unpleasant  one.

Posted (edited)

oh... so it's a compared value... that explains it entirely... and the could not parse this line would be a syntax error in Basic. Silly console should just return missing parameter, would have been self explanatory

thank you so very much

23 minutes ago, scorrp10 said:

One thing I can tell you: without a mod organizer or SKSE, your modding experience will be a most unpleasant  one.

I have to disagree. I have no mod issues whatsoever; the info you helped with is for my personal custom race mod. As for SKSE, I have no mods that require it so don't need it but this is by design. I check a mod requirements and if I see SKSE i close the page and move on. I tried three times to use SKSE because I wanted to try RaceMenu, SkyUI and MCM helper(?) and could only ever get RaceMenu to show up though no text was in the menu so it was a wasted effort. And I spent too much time making sure it was eliminated from my files so I will not install it again. Personal choice.

Edited by ghowriter

Posted (edited)

why then is the GetIsRace on the conditions? and why does my specific custom race always fail this? Just as an example, my custom race has a perk and i had a condition on the perk to make sure the player was actually playing the race and I used GetIsRace MyRace == 1 which then turns pink which indicates an issue already. I am told pink lettering is not good. Now this condition was on the perk itself so the game failed this and didnt apply the perk to MyRace at the beginning even though I had selected MyRace and created the character. This was the reason I was in the console check the player.getrace in the first place. Also, no matter where I place the condition, it always turns pink. Some might tell me to check my spelling of my race but this wouldnt help since the race is selected from a list. My only thought here is that I am missing something needed for race compatibility that remains hidden from my, obviously, limited understanding of modding Skyrim SE. To get around this quirk I now use GetPCIsRace MyRace == 1 which never turns pink and since my race is not available for NPCs it does the job well enough. It's not like anyone would ever want to play the race I converted anyway. While I would like to fix GetIsrace, it is not a priority for me. I have to learn how to make quests which I've been avoiding like a plague but must be done to spread the race's abilities out over leveling. (If there is someone who wouldnt mind creating the quest for me, I would be very, very, VEERRRRRY interested.)

EDIT: I just re-read your post Ishara, specifically, the mention of condition functions... i need a cuff on the back of my head for missing that one...

Edited by ghowriter

For some crazy reason, Bethesda separated the condition function into two.  One for NPCs GetIsRace and one for the player character GetPCIsRace.  At least you found the correct one.  And did so before I remembered that there was a separate one for just the player character.