Planet "Travel" extra step skip + Planet Scan instant survey everything.

Pankypops

• 4 weeks later...

My ideal exploration set up would be the ability to staff non home ships to go on away missions, passively scanning planets and systems over time and reporting back on resources flagged and bringing back samples.

I’m also hoping to see both planet scanning and on planet scanning overhauled as survival, crafting, and resource gathering mods get made. I’d really like multiple scanning visor modes and further hybridizations as well as constant surprising interactions between such technologies and local discoveries, flora, fauna.

For example, occasional rare quests that only start if you happen to be in a certain biome on a certain planet viewing x-rays. I’d like some incentive to truly explore and conduct science experiments rather than fill a copy paste survey data checklist.

And in orbit I’d like to really have to plan out the gear needed to safely explore each new planet as well as have grander planetary features identifiable from space. Massive aquifers, super volcanoes, grand canyons, and the like. I got so tired of just trying to find borders between 2 rare resources rather than rare aesthetics or sub biomes. So many known crazy planetary features just waiting to be modded in to the game and planetary scanners. Show me those high pressure planets that rain diamonds and require full power armor to even consider exploring. Show me those lakes of mercury to walk across. And show me the extremophiles that manage to live in these places. Maybe stowing away on my ship if I’m not careful and stranding me in deep space when they nosh on stuff. That’s what I want hints of on my planetary scan, what I want to confirm in person, and what I want to snag for a constellation zoo or museum I establish at some outpost with visitors from all over.  

Trouble is, planet surfaces are not 'fixed', for the most part, nothing exists there, until you land. Sure, there are some fixed POI's, but, those are very few, and far between. The game (vanilla) only remembers three landing zones, per planet. (I believe....) land a fourth times, and the first one will be different if you land there again. I would expect that planting an outpost beacon changes it to a 'fixed' layout.... which is stored in your save game.

• Like 1