1.6.1170 - Can't move in third person

darkphoenixff4

Okay, this is an issue that seems to pop up every time I try to get a modded 1170 game working.  Everything works except that I can't move in third person.  The left stick doesn't do anything at all.  It's not an old controlmap file; I've deleted them.  It's not even a mod; I've turned everything off except the Unofficial Patches and Alternate Perspective.  I reinstalled the whole game multiple times, and it seems to persist.  I cleared out my Steam controller settings and made sure it's set to Gamepad.  I have no idea what the problem is.  I can use the Left Stick to move in first person and in the menus, but the second I switch to third person, nothing.

Okay, a bit more info; this isn't a controller issue, it's something Skyrim itself is doing, because WASD doesn't work either.  I unhooked my controller and reverted to keyboard controls and I still can't move in third person.  Also, my Y-axis in third person hardly moves at all, though X-axis is fine.

Does it still happen if you launch without SKSE?  Maybe a stray .dll or .ini from an SKSE mod is still getting loaded. 

EDIT: I assume you're testing this in a new game too, to rule out a problem with your save file.

Otherwise, maybe delete Skyrim.ini and SkyrimPrefs.ini out of ...\Documents\My Games\Skyrim Special Edition\ (back them up somewhere else), and have the game recreate them.

Edited by AaronOfMpls

When the game loads fine but the player won't move (ie using wasd, or other), you can try these two console commands to see if it helps

1) enter the command enableplayercontrols

.... and/or ....

2) enter the command player.tai (toggle AI)

this command will return a message after it sets the value. it will either say "player AI ON", or "player AI OFF" (or something very close to those messages).

If it returns "Player AI ON", you're done. it had apparently been turned off by some other interaction (ime, likely a partly failed "Defeat" situation or an accidental triggering of  Proteus's "take control of NPC" function, if you happen to have Proteus installed)

if it returns "Player AI OFF", then you want to fire it once more, since this command toggles the value, rather than setting it to a logic hi like ennableplayercontrols does

Hope it helps. And if not, keep them in mind for the future, since both conditions can happen due to glitches in conjunction with (or without) intended mod behavior

I've hotlinked each console command above, so you can read up on them in more detail if you like

Oh, and IFF you happen to have Defeat installed, also consider trying to use it's get-out-of-jail hotkey to open it's "release" menu. WHen defeat "breaks" it often leaves the player in a stuck pose, unable to move. Defeat's release function will resolve that in most cases. (see its MCM for the associated hotkey def)