No, but for real though, how do I use Archive Invalidation?

I have no idea how Archive Invalidation / BSA Redirection works. Apparently it is used to overwrite old files with new ones and is especially important for texture mods, but the only thing I see regarding how to use it is "turn it off and then back on again."

Okay, when? Do I turn off AI, enable a new mod, and then re-enable AI? Do I install and enable the new texture mod, and then turn-off/turn-on AI? Do I deploy mods after every disable/enable step or do I flip the switch back and forth before deploying all changes?

I'm a modding newbie and I have no idea how any of this works. Walk me through it mouse-click by mouse-click like I'm an idiot.

And I quote

Vortex has archive invalidation — just go to tools and it should be listed on there (I think the exact words are BSA invalidation). Just enable it and a new mod will appear on your mod list called ArchiceInvalidation.

in vortex go to setting, second to last tab is called workarounds. under that tab there should be a toggle for bsa redirection.

After you active that toggle you will have a new mod with the same name in your mod list. Deactivate it and the reactivate it. It just cleans up some files the game and the mods need. At least that's my understanding of it

---

I will note that being newbie, which is what I label myself sometimes, Vortex is the worst you can pick. Only veterans can mess with it.

If you call yourself a newbie, stay the eff away from it. Choose MO2.

Edited by laclongquan
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, laclongquan said:

And I quote

Vortex has archive invalidation — just go to tools and it should be listed on there (I think the exact words are BSA invalidation). Just enable it and a new mod will appear on your mod list called ArchiceInvalidation.

in vortex go to setting, second to last tab is called workarounds. under that tab there should be a toggle for bsa redirection.

After you active that toggle you will have a new mod with the same name in your mod list. Deactivate it and the reactivate it. It just cleans up some files the game and the mods need. At least that's my understanding of it

---

Yes, that's the same quote I see everywhere too, and I find it unhelpful. Again, when exactly do I deactivate Archive Invalidation and when exactly do I reactivate it? Is disabling the Archive Invalidation mod the same as flipping the BSA Redirection switch in settings? Should I do it one way or the other? Does it matter / make a difference?

Do I need to deactivate/reactivate AI every time before starting the game? Do I need to do it before or after installing or enabling any mods or only certain ones?

I am really hoping for details here - like obnoxiously, point-by-point, step 1 - step 2 - step 3, "first click this with your mouse, and then click this with your mouse" details.

Vortex is the worst you can pick. Only veterans can mess with it.

If you call yourself a newbie, stay the eff away from it. Choose MO2.

I am going to ignore this. It does nothing to answer my question. I am using Vortex. It works fine for everything I want it to do, and I am not going to switch to a different mod manager. It will either work or it won't. I have installed hundreds of mods with it, and the only problem I've had is some textures look messed up sometimes. When I looked up how to solve that problem, I saw many recommendations to use Archive Invalidation, but no one says anything other than "turn it off and then back on again." That does not solve my problem - especially when I don't know when or why to do that.

Please only reply if you are going to lay out a step-by-step detailed list of instructions of exactly what to do and why to do it.

Add a mod or two or three, etc.  Turn off Archive Invalidation Invalidated or whatever it is called in VORTEX.  Turn it back on again.  Do this before starting the game. 

You may or may not have to do this more than one time with VORTEX.

MO2 has a check in profile to auto validate sheesh. So I can click on it once and f*#@ing forget about it~

Which is why I recommended MO2. You know what is, and what is not, where to check. Total noob-friendly. And I dont pretend to be a veteran and mess with things I shouldnt.

If those "seen everywhere" instructions dont help you... doesnt that say something very clearly about Vortex, innit? And you, too. Since obviously you dont get those seen everywhere instructions .

----

I will be patient and found a video tut for you: get to Setting button on the left, click that, get to Workaround tab, click that. There's that nice and clear Archive Invalidation section with that nicely green button for ya...

No seriously. I am not a veteran so I wouldnt pretend to be one and messing with things clearly over my head~ I will act like a noob and play with something noob-friendly.

Edited by laclongquan
  • Sad 1

On 4/22/2024 at 8:02 AM, M48A5 said:

Add a mod or two or three, etc.  Turn off Archive Invalidation Invalidated or whatever it is called in VORTEX.  Turn it back on again.  Do this before starting the game. 

So it is really just turn off and then back on immediately after - no waiting for mod redeployment?

Archive Invalidation Invalidated is no longer used because Vortex now has its own AI mod created through settings/workarounds called BSA Redirection. Apparently turning on BSA Redirection in settings creates the Archive Invalidation mod that can then be enabled disabled just like other installed mods.

I'm guessing (hoping) that all I need to do is disable that mod and then re-enable it and not have to turn off BSA Redirection in settings to accomplish the same goal.

I am still skeptical, though, because I have tried exactly that (and other combinations of possible solution steps) and whether or not something works seems random / due to luck. It would be great if there was a reliable method that fixed the problems without so much screwing around.

9 hours ago, CliffSedge said:

I am still skeptical, though, because I have tried exactly that (and other combinations of possible solution steps) and whether or not something works seems random / due to luck. It would be great if there was a reliable method that fixed the problems without so much screwing around.

The inability of the VORTEX archive invalidation to work consistently has been an ongoing issue since it's launch.  It seems the devs either can't or won't correct it.  It seems that to only way to ensure that your old texture files are not displayed when they are replaced it to use a stand-alone archive invalidation invalidated mod.  If you go this route, you must disable the VORTEX invalidation feature.

On 4/22/2024 at 9:18 AM, laclongquan said:

----

I will be patient and found a video tut for you: get to Setting button on the left, click that, get to Workaround tab, click that. There's that nice and clear Archive Invalidation section with that nicely green button for ya...

You are not being patient or helpful at all. I know all that already. I already said that I know all that. And that video is absolute garbage. Please stop replying if you refuse to actually help.