⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Dismissing Custom Companion Will Not Travel Home

Skidgeroonie

Hey everyone - I originally posted this in the Mod Troubleshoot but it might be a bit specific so unfortunately couldn't find any answers.

I'm having an issue with my custom companion. Everything seems to work in the basic sense, hiring, firing etc. Only problem is, when I dismiss him, he just stands in place. The messages comes up saying that he's heading back to the specific cell, but he doesn't move.

To test, I tried changing his location to a few base-game cells like Nick's Office or Strong's waiting position at Trinity Tower and he still refuses to move. I've also made sure to try it from random locations to ensure it's not some kind of navmesh problem. He will travel to settlements listed like Sancatury or Red Rocket. I've been trying to compare scripts etc to pre-existing companions but I'm not seeing any glaring differences.

If anyone has any idea or tips, I'd appreciate it.

It really depends on what mod made the custom companion. For instance, I know that Problems of Survivor custom companions stay where you dismiss them.

Whatever mod you're using for your custom companion, you'll need to check with the mod author if you think there's an issue.

6 minutes ago, Skidgeroonie said:

It's my mod that I'm creating, and I'm stuck on this while I make it. I'm hoping to figure out why this is happening so I can fix it. No base-game companions have this issue, just my guy.

It's been a few years since I looked at the NPC records that way, but I think you might have to set their workshop permissions to be able to send them to workshops. I recommend looking at a few settler records specifically for any flags related to workshops.

So I checked the workshop scripts but nothing seems much different from base companions. Sending them to settlements is fine, they'll go, sandbox, do work etc no issues. It's mainly sending them back to their original pick-up location when they just don't move. Even setting it to a pre-existing one doesn't help.

I've tried delecting the Location data and remaking it, also changing their sandbox to make sure it's something they can actually get back to, but every time I dismiss them and cancel out instead of sending them to a settlement, they just stand still, even though the message says they're going back to the original cell.