⚠ Known Issue: Media on User Profiles ×

Switching between different versions of F4SE (for pre-update and post-update mods)

xENJAJVEx

So how difficult will it be to play older mods if and when those of us who dodged the update decide to finally bite the bullet and update, maybe some years from now?

Umm, I'm guessing a lot of mods won't get updated so there will be a rift between the not updated mods and the updated mods but moreso any mods that release post-update, like Fallout London...

I'm guessing it will just be a matter of switching between different versions of F4SE? And using older mod uploads that are compatible with whichever version you're using... Or maybe just having two copies of Fallout 4 (one updated and one not) would be easier? (e.g. One on Steam and one on GOG). If there were a mod(s) that you really wanted to play but which required the latest version of F4SE.

For example, I have not updated my Fallout 4 so for now I'm safe and should be able to enjoy any pre-update mods, even those that are buried and hard to find... Those mods that may never be updated (providing the old uploads are still archived here or elsewhere..) Those mods that are compatible with the current version of F4SE. But any post-update mods like, Fallout: London, would need to be used with the newest version of F4SE (whenever that releases) -- so it would just be a case of switching between old F4SE and new F4SE or owning two copies, one updated and one not. Is that right? I'm hoping it will be that simple.

I'd hate to miss out since I'm still squeezing many hours from FO3/NV and haven't even scraped the surface of Fallout 4 mods and so many mods are affected by this update. Help put my mind to rest. 🫠

I use GOG version and stay at 1.10.163.    

When you've been using mods like MCM Menu, Bullet Counted Reload and a host of other F4SE mods - the game essentially becomes unplayable without them.

Maybe in a couple months the landscape will be sorted to update - but I'll know that PRIOR to updating.

If it's one thing I'll never, ever do again is be a Day 1 adopter.    Nothing works on Day 1.

Edited by fraquar
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fraquar said:

I use GOG version and stay at 1.10.163.    

When you've been using mods like MCM Menu, Bullet Counted Reload and a host of other F4SE mods - the game essentially becomes unplayable without them.

Maybe in a couple months the landscape will be sorted to update - but I'll know that PRIOR to updating.

If it's one thing I'll never, ever do again is be a Day 1 adopter.    Nothing works on Day 1.

Yeah, I heard a lot of good things about GOG leading up to this update - being able to choose different versions and install offline/have local copies? No DRM?? Sounds awesome. I got really worked up about this update for a variety of reasons, including the fact that the only reason Bethesda and their games are even (still) relevant are because of modders and I think trying to force us to take this update shows just how little they care. Steam is also to blame though by allowing developers to update or change their games willy-nilly as they please. It's so wrong. I'm thinking I'll be moving back to physical media, personally. Just like the good, ol' days. 😌 

TBH, Steam can't dictate to a game publisher when (or how) they update their game.    Steam is just a distributor.

It's like the relationship between a local car dealer and Ford, GM, etc.     The manufactures push, the dealers receive.

-----

Steam's business model is push, push and push some more.

This isn't a bad thing for Multiplayer Online games - it's horrible for Single Player games - especially ones that are modded.

GOG's business model is - you decide when you want the next update.

That said you still have forced updates through GOG for Multiplayer Games - it just won't let you play it again until it updates.

Edited by fraquar

6 minutes ago, fraquar said:

TBH, Steam can't dictate to a game publisher when (or how) they update their game.    Steam is just a distributor.

It's like the relationship between a local car dealer and Ford, GM, etc.     The manufactures push, the dealers receive.

-----

Steam's business model is push, push and push some more.

This isn't a bad thing for Multiplayer Online games - it's horrible for Single Player games - especially ones that are modded.

GOG's business model is - you decide when you want the next update.

That said you still have forced updates through GOG for Multiplayer Games - it just won't let you play it again until it updates.

Multiplayer online/live service are fair enough yeah, that's why I'm very cautious of them now. It's to be expected. Nerfs this, nerfs that. Removing content, etc.

But, for example, I used to play Conan Exiles which is an open world, survival game that you can play solo... It's marketed as a single player game too. Lots of mods. Good fun. But the problem is that they eventually introduced a battle pass and changed a lot of stuff (also introduced a terrible stutter) to the point where if the game was in that state before I purchased it, I wouldn't have purchased it, know what I mean? It is indeed, horrible.

I remember a time when developers couldn't force an update on you, when you could resell your games, lend them to a friend and you pretty much owned them (unless they're gonna break down your door and take back the disc lol) - like with physical media/DVD ROM. So then maybe the problem is just with digital gaming/streaming where you don't actually own the games - just the licence to play them - and the developers can do as they please, even though you paid e.g. £60 for it (and usually buying something means that it's now yours - you own it - an exchange of goods), turning the product into something entirely different or breaking it somehow or adding in things that you're against like battle passes, MTXs, etc.

Like, Fallout 4 didn't always have the Creation Club, did it? Now I'm forced to see that eyesore every time I launch the game that reminds me of just how much things have changed for the worse over the last decade. 😭

You can keep the earlier version, it'll take some time for modders to update their mods. If you'd like to try out the new update, install Fallout 4 in another folder and either play vanilla or enable only those mods which are not F4SE dependent.

Edited by LarannKiar
  • Thanks 1