PSA: CK update uses a new BA2 archive format

I can't see any "Fallout 4 specific" reason of why they felt like they'd need to update Archive2.

To me it seems like they just edited the tools/formats including Archive2 through the years which they've been relying to build game files.

Since Fallout 4 has offical mod support, despite the popular belief they didn't intend to break everything. I wouldn't be suprised if the new format was actually an oversight, that they couldn't switch back to their original environment when they were recompiling the files..

Anyway, I noticed is that unlike the pre-update Archive2, the post-update one can open Starfield archives too and even extract those that contain files with formats interpretable by Fallout, e.g. Papyrus .pex files from Starfield - Misc.ba2.

Also, they watered down the file save dialogue window... when pressing ( Archive >> Extract Selected To... ) to extract the archive, the post-update Archive2 seems to open a directory tree (i.e. no address bar) and not the file save dialogue used before, which makes selecting a folder less convenient.

The version byte of the BA2 archive format changing to block older game versions is possibly as a wheeze to try and prevent the bundled CC content being back-published to frozen (you know the people who cant update for, ahem, legal reasons) game instances.

Or the action with zero documentation is yet another signal that back compatibility for mods is a zero priority for the new corporate ca$h register. 

16 hours ago, SKKmods said:

The version byte of the BA2 archive format changing to block older game versions is possibly as a wheeze to try and prevent the bundled CC content being back-published to frozen (you know the people who cant update for, ahem, legal reasons) game instances.

That was my thinking as well. It sounds totally like the kind of harebrained scheme a typical middle management person would come up with to "solve" this.
Even more so as there are actually two new versions (7 and 8), with apparently no difference whatsoever in the actual format from version 1.

This little thingymadum will however allow version 1.10.163 to load v7/v8 archives anyways: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/81859

• Like 1

Occums Razor: The solution that makes the least assumptions is most often the answer. I don't think there is any scheme, it's just a simple way of establishing version control. My guess is it is more for in house development than anything else which would explain why it doesn't make any sense to us.