Creation Kit suddenly not starting from MO2, trying to update

Went to use Skyrim SE CK for the first time in a while, and it's giving me an error about USVFS not working. Long post, sorry for so much detail. Trying to get my CK setup working again, or else update my setup. I've tried a bunch of things to fix this, using Macrium to restore to the original point after nothing works. If you have any solutions or ideas to get my old setup working or for getting an updated setup to work, I'd appreciate it.

CK used to work fine out of MO2, but now I'm getting an error that says "Unhandled USVFS proxy exception (line 112): The system cannot find the file specified." This error appears when CK starts, but goes away. It comes back up anytime I try to script, and then CK fails to open the scripting window. I can create and load mods, edit Effects, Items, etc, but suddenly I can't edit existing scripts or create and compile new ones.

My setup:

Skyrim  v1.6.640

SKSE v2.2.3

MO2 2.4.4

Skyrim SE CK v1.5.73.0, installed using Bethesda launcher.

Skyrim and SKSE are installed in X drive, which is a folder I created in C drive mounted virtually as a drive letter. (I know my setup is jank, lol. Didn't have a spare HDD when I first set everything up.)

Things I've tried with current setup:

Removed antivirus: no effect

Making USVFS folder not Read Only: can't, Windows sets it right back to Read Only

Copying the contents of X drive out of their C drive staging area into D drive, then re-mounting virtually as X drive: MO2 says it can't run the game from one drive and mods from another

After failing to get CK to compile scripts, I tried to update MO2 and CK, shown below. Now CK won't run. When I select CK in MO2 and hit Run, the window blinks for a second and a little box pops up and disappears so fast I can't see if it says anything. Then the "Mod Organizer 2 is locked..." box pops up for half a second and also disappears. Skyrim still runs fine when I use MO2 to open SKSE and run the game, but CK won't start.

Note: I mod Fallout 4 using this same setup below (Steam version of CK running out of MO2, using the Overwrite Steam App ID option) and have no issues. It's only Skyrim that's having trouble.

I have NOT tried updating Skyrim or SKSE yet, since they both seem to be working fine.

Updates and changes I've tried:
Removed CK through Bethesda launcher and updated CK to the Steam SE/AE version 1.6.1130.0
Updating MO2 to v2.5.0 using the install .exe from Github; also tried downloading the .7z version and unpacking
Setting the Overwrite Steam App ID to 202480 (old ID) and to 1946180
Tried creating both Global and Portable MO2  Skyrim instances, neither works

After these updates, CK just fails to start. The MO2 logs don't show anything as far as I can tell. I enabled the Debug mode in both the MO2 and loot options. The main MO2 log only shows issues finding ModOrganizer.ini when running a portable instance. usvfs-DATETIMETHINGIE are all blank.

Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks for reading my novel.

Well, first of all, does the CK shortcut in MO still point to the right file after updating?  (Pulldown next to Run > <Edit...>, and check the path.)

As for "cannot find the file", did it say which file it couldn't find?  Though searching around for "USVFS proxy", maybe you need to add MO2 to your Windows security exclusions.

(As for MO 2.5, I had a few issues with it myself from a botched update, and reinstalled MO 2.4.4.  I'm running MO2 in a slightly unusual setup on Linux, and I suspect MO's updater got a little confused when I tried to run it.)

Edited by AaronOfMpls

On 4/27/2024 at 9:19 PM, AaronOfMpls said:

Well, first of all, does the CK shortcut in MO still point to the right file after updating?  (Pulldown next to Run > <Edit...>, and check the path.)

As for "cannot find the file", did it say which file it couldn't find?  Though searching around for "USVFS proxy", maybe you need to add MO2 to your Windows security exclusions.

(As for MO 2.5, I had a few issues with it myself from a botched update, and reinstalled MO 2.4.4.  I'm running MO2 in a slightly unusual setup on Linux, and I suspect MO's updater got a little confused when I tried to run it.)

I think it is, but I'll check. There's a folder for USVFS, but no files in it. One of the recommended fixes I've found is to delete this folder, then remake it, so I'm not sure what files are supposed to go there. From what I understand, USVFS is the virtual folder system MO2 uses. I've tried adding MO2 to my antivirus's accepted files. Even tried uninstalling it, but still nothing.

That's interesting. Does CK run on linux using WINE?

3 hours ago, LostMyAlembic said:

That's interesting. Does CK run on linux using WINE?

Yes it does -- especially if launched in the same Wine prefix as the game itself, so it can find everything. 

If using Steam, you can use that MO2 installer script I mentioned, then launch MO for that game via Steam, and launch the CK normally from within MO.

(It's probably possible in MO without Steam too -- e.g., with a GOG version -- just with more manual installation of things within your Wine prefix(es).  Though since my Beth games were already on Steam anyway...)