Mod has itself as a master after loading autosave

So, CK crashed after a couple hours of not saving, and while I was able to rename the last autosave to the ESP to recover my progress, the new ESP now has itself as a master reference. I still have the ESP from the last manual save and was planning to use SSEEdit to merge the "new" autosaved changes onto the "old" ESP but SSEEdit can't load the plugin as it has itself as a reference.

How can I remove the mod from being its own master? Or do I have to just bite the bullet and do everything I had lost all over again?

I don't have a sure solution, but here's what I'd probably try if it happened to me:

Rename the .esp temporarily.  Then make a dummy .esp with the mod's (old) name.*  Load both in xEdit, and either merge, or remove masters.  Rename back after, if needed.

* Open the CK, but don't activate any plugins, then save with the mod's old name.  Or use Cathedral Asset Optimizer to make one.  Or open Wrye Bash > File > New Mod.

Thanks, I ended up doing something similar. I renamed the autosaved ESP and since it kept the original ESP as a master I merged the changes from the new into the old (with the original name) in xEdit.