Body replacers

Hey everyone, I'm new to this whole body replacer stuff and I'm not sure what to use.

There's type 3, 4 , 6? Now i saw the creator of mannequin races is making a type 6z.

I just want to know which one is the best, and how custom outfits for these replacers work. Are they compatible with every outfit mod? 

Much appreciated 

All "type" bodies are compatible with each other so best is personal preference, as for outfits the vast majority of them replace the body with one that is part of the outfit so it doesn't really matter which body you choose, you just need "type" compatible textures when using "type" outfits.

There is no "best"

There is only body type that fit your taste most.

Personally I think Type 4 is too thin and the seam thing is overrated, but obviously its many fans would not agree with me. Same deal with the modest thing, which is too funny for me, but again, the download number say quite a lot is actually follow that taste. So your choice~

As for clothes specifically for body type... You can always use one body type but another type's clothes. It's a bit tricky but you dont need to force to use certain body type just because you like only some clothes in that set.

Edited by laclongquan

The whole body type thing threw me too coming from an FO4 environment.

What I found:

Choose a body type that you like the texture of...that seems most important. A lot of mods use the texture but not the shape. So, go for looks, skin, pubic hair for nude mods, etc.

Clothes/armors have their own body shape no matter what you use. Now, it gets weird here. Sometimes, you'll use a type 3 beware of girl body (which I do like) and put on a type bnb outfit and yeah, doesn't fit....BUT you put on the bnb shoes and POOF, working bnb body that fits the clothes. Or. you'll install bnb and put on a type 3 armor and get clipping until you equip the boots and poof type 3 body.

So, I threw my hands in the air and grabbed type 3 BOG for the texture. Installed the skeleton compatibility mod for flexibility. Installed BNB for shits and grins and because there's a fun slooty replacer for BNB. Grabbed outfit sets that I like and now main character is usually BNB, Willow is type 3 cali, Veronica is 3F with BNB movement because of that skeleton mod....and NPCs are the BNB. Fun for all.

1 hour ago, Ophiucus68 said:

Now, it gets weird here. Sometimes, you'll use a type 3 beware of girl body (which I do like) and put on a type bnb outfit and yeah, doesn't fit....BUT you put on the bnb shoes and POOF, working bnb body that fits the clothes. Or. you'll install bnb and put on a type 3 armor and get clipping until you equip the boots and poof type 3 body.

That's because the shoes will be in the upperbody slot and contain the correct upperbody, when anything is put in the upperbody slot your own body is no longer rendered. This is why for the vast majority of armours the body type your character has doesn't matter because it's gonna get replaced, it's only the textures that matter.

3 hours ago, JimboUK said:

That's because the shoes will be in the upperbody slot and contain the correct upperbody, when anything is put in the upperbody slot your own body is no longer rendered. This is why for the vast majority of armours the body type your character has doesn't matter because it's gonna get replaced, it's only the textures that matter.

Yep...which is weird

Attaching the upperbody to the shoes makes sense for things like heels where the angle of the feet isn't the same as default body.

10 hours ago, JimboUK said:

Attaching the upperbody to the shoes makes sense for things like heels where the angle of the feet isn't the same as default body.

Hey, I'm impressed that FONV can handle heels so much better than FO4

5 minutes ago, Ophiucus68 said:

Hey, I'm impressed that FONV can handle heels so much better than FO4

Are the bodies set up differently for FO4? I've never modded it.

13 hours ago, JimboUK said:

Are the bodies set up differently for FO4? I've never modded it.

Completely. Essentially everything is separated yet interrelated in a more coordinated fashion. 

Skin features such as quality, moles, freckles, body hair is mostly part of the texture but can also be added as an overlay in game on the fly.

Meshes, body shape, can be manipulated by the user in Bodyslide to basically any figure then with bodygen, set to a variety of body types in one game. I have  pool of over 60 shapes in a game. Every companion, every NPC has a different body.

Then the fun part, if you use outfit studio to conform sliders of body slide as you build outfits, it doesn't matter what body type you pick for player character or companions or NPCs. ALL CLOTHES/ARMORS WILL FIT ALL BODIES.

The clothes are tied to vertices on the body mesh. So the same outfit will fit on slender or full figured. So the body defines the shape of the clothes not the other way around like in FONV.

However, high heels require a high heel skeleton replacement that makes your character waaaaaaaaaay taller than everyone else...and doorways....looks weird.