Does Vortex give better performance than Mod Organizer?

Ever since installing Ubuntu, I've noticed that Mod Organizer gets up multiple gb of ram. Also, its always throwing error messages perpetually while running, even when I was running windows. I've been thinking; maybe my game would run better if I didn't use it? The only other mod manager I've ever used is NMM, which mangled my SE beyond repair. Its why I chose MO over Vortex; NMM's problems mainly came from it actually installing stuff in your data folder, which MO does not.

Now, I'm thinking that perhaps it isn't such a good idea. I'm running stuff in the background while I'm playing the game, which surely doesn't help things. At the same time though, I like being able to have more than one load order 'installed' at a time. I also like being able to fix compatibility issues by 'hiding' files. When I was using NMM, I was actually running every mod I used regardless of the character I was playing as. Such as running spell mods even when I wasn't using magic, or stealth mods when I wasn't a stealth character. That load order got quite bloated, obviously.

Either way, does Vortex even support linux? Would switching to Vortex make my game run better?

Posted (edited)

I've never used Vortex myself, so I don't know its details.  Though there is a pinned Vortex for Linux thread in the Vortex subforum, that might have some answers.

And my understanding is that errors like "EnableNonClientDpiScaling() failed" are pretty harmless.  "EnableNonClientDpiScaling() failed" itself is MO2 trying to auto-scale its own interface to match a Windows 10/11 setting that Wine doesn't support.  Looking at my CPU and RAM graphs, it doesn't seem to be affecting anything enough to be a problem, either.  My Oldrim game still runs just as well as it ever did on Windows 7.

Though searching around a bit, looks like you can kill that particular error with an extra .conf file in MO.  Via the github for rockerbacon's MO2 installer script:

If it bothers you, you can drop a qt.conf file in the directory containing the ModOrganizer.exe, with the following contents:

[Platforms]
WindowsArguments = dpiawareness=2
Edited by AaronOfMpls

Posted (edited)

And testing a little further, MO2 doesn't seem to spam my logs with that error like it used to, either -- with or without that workaround.  Maybe a Steam or Proton update fixed the spam?

Edited by AaronOfMpls

1 minute ago, InDarkestNight said:

I'm using proton 8 ge, which doesn't come with steam. Its the best one I've tried.

While I'm using the regular Steam version of Proton 8 (currently 8.0-5).

I know we have different hardware and software setups too, beyond our different Skyrim mod setups.