Adding dialogue options for vanilla npcs with blocked dialogue.

Posted (edited)

I'm looking at the farmer Loreius and I had noticed that adding dialogue didn't work as readily as it did for others I've looked at. I'm guessing this is because his dialogue is set to [blocking]. Other than changing his dialogue settings (I don't want to do that) am I correct that there's no clean way to add dialogue to such an npc ?

Edited by csbx

You can insert yourself as an extra option in his blocking dialogues.  I think, but haven't tried.

You should also try to return him into is blocking dialogue when you're done with him.

Still means messing with DB01Misc dialogues.

Loreius branch  is blocking, but not exclusive.    You should be able to add an extra branch there.   If there is another blocking branch  of higher priority which also satisfies conditions, it will be used first.

So, I went into CK, added a global 'DB01Loreius'  which I set to 0.   Under DB01Misc  player dialogue, added an extra branch 'DB01LoreiusOverride', set to Blocking, with priority 60.     Under it, created a Topic, and made a TopicInfo, which I made exactly like the 'Oh for the love of Mara'  from DB01MiscLoreiusGreet.   branch, except  for Loreius response,  I chose "Not my Problem"  SharedInfo,  and I also added a condition that DB01Loreius  Global must be set to 1.

In-game,  I start new game, go to Loreius (coc loreiusfarmhouse),  and he greets me with the usual 'Oh for the love of Mara'.    Then I use console (set DB01Loreius to 1), talk to Loreius again, this time he says 'Not  my problem'.     I set the global back to 0, and he again greets with 'Oh for the love of Mara'.

Posted (edited)

@scorrp10 - Gotcha. Thanks for the detail of your response showing how to essentially have the dialogue show up, but return to normal blocking when you're done.

I did some experimenting and confirmed what both you and @xkkmeEI were saying. Blocking dialogue exclusive yields a dialogue I can add in my quest that does show up in Curwe's dialogue and is repeatable without seeming to affect anything else. As we know, her dialogue with the player is near nil, so she'll be my target rather than Loreius. Though I suppose both will likely die anyway...

I did notice a couple of oddities with this method: 1) she still did say her single Stepford Wives line (talk to my husband) but only once; then my dialogue options were the only that appeared, which works for me. I also noticed the topic info doesn't show up normally so I had to kludge it in in a roundabout way--but I did get that to show up too.

In the event you're curious what I'm up to, I'm working on a way to allow the player to ask for directions to various places on the map. In this case, farmers know something about giant encampments in the vicinity due to their sacrificial bargains every year with the giants.

Edited by csbx