Skyrim Script Extender Reporting Wrong Version; Game Won't Start

rasmusblack

So I'm very new to modding, but I'm a programmer and a sysadmin so I have a lot of technical knowhow. Apparently those skills do not translate lol. I've got the newest (*.6659) GOG version of the game, and I've just installed my first collection, a lovely little assortment of mods called Skyrim, the Definitive Edition (GOG). Installation went off without a hitch; no collisions or anything, etc. It had me semi-manually (through the built in Vortex browser) install SKSE64, which I did.. However upon starting it, it reported a version mismatch and asked me to update my game. I am running (what I believe to be) the newest version of skyrim. Strange, I thought. So I manually installed it. Version 2.02.06. Newest version. Run the launcher again. It's reporting a version of 1.6.659 and refuses to start, asks me to update my game again. What gives?? Has anybody else had this issue? 

EDIT: my bad, the 1.6.659 is actually my version of SKYRIM not, SKSE64. so apparently the newest GOG version is incompatible with the newest SKSE version. I find this kind of hard to believe, however, since I literally just read on reddit yesterday that SKSE works with GOG (kind of the whole reason I bothered to mod it in the first place). Do I have to downgrade or something?? It said it was the GOG version when I clicked the link! so confused lol.

AFAIK, however, latest GOG Racemenu version is for 1.6.659.    So if you indeed have 1.6.659 ,   It might be a good idea to instead go to SKLSE archived builds and get this one:

skse64_2_02_03_gog.7z 2022-10-11 12:30 732K

Then, if SKSE complains that any of the .dll plugins are wrong version,  you need to go to individual pages for those mods, and get the version that is for 1.6.659 GOG, rather than the latest.   (I.e. for FSMP, consider grabbing version 2.2.1  from their Old Files section rather than the latest) 

Well, now we're getting somewhere, I guess. The launcher starts now, with no errors, however, it now simply drops me into the title sequence and crashes immediately after the bethesda logo 😭

I am playing with SSE AE GOG version 1.6.1179 and believe your problem is a wrong dll version.

I am using skse 2.02.06 with this version of SSE AE GOG and you must download  mods like Address Library for SKSE Plugins that say they have been updated for SSE AE version 1.6.1179 to use the correct dll.

Check your mods that have a dll to make sure that you are using the correct version for your game.