New to FO4 and Modding

Coluk003

Hello,

So since the show came out I've been playing FO4 on PS5 and there are somethings that just bug me about the game. So im going to buy the GOTY addition on GOG but  im looking for some, what id call quality of life mods for the game.

1.Just to make the overall game look better, brighter and such. This is subjective and if I can find the YT video I watched I may know of one.

2. Is there a mod for farming where I can assign people to more than one item at a time in a settlement?

3. Is there a mod that shows the weapon you have and compares it to a new one?

4. A mod that forces the companion to actually follow you. Im specifically talking about dogmeat, and others, they tend to either get in the dang way, or are off on thier.

5 A mod that identifies items not picked up yet on a corpse? Sometimes i get turned around and swear they disappeared on me 🙂

6. A Mod to see where your companion is in the area. Sometimes Ill tell them to stay and forget or downright lose them when they find an item.

I think that is all for now. Thank you to anyone who can lend a hand in these Mods.

I have seen mods for a lot of these things, but i have not saved/used them so I do not have them at my fingertips but I am sure whwn you rummage thruh Nexus you may find many mods that may strike your fancy.

It happens to me often that I look for one thing but find another 2 or 3 i like.

Before installing mods are you broadly familiar with the process?

Mod manager and all that?

8 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

Before installing mods are you broadly familiar with the process?

Mod manager and all that?

Not a clue. Im hoping theres a YT video that explains it. Which im going to go look for now

27 minutes ago, Coluk003 said:

Not a clue. Im hoping theres a YT video that explains it. Which im going to go look for now

This is your first step:

Vortex at Modding Tools - Nexus Mods

And there are tutorials on Vortex itself. Other mod managers exist and have fanbases arguing they are better than vortex. This may be true but Vortex  is arguably the most widespread one and well integrated with Nexus.

For FO4, there are some mods that are utilities and are considered essential like buffout 4, F4SE , High FPS physics fix.

Once vortex, and these utilites are installed and working you can download individual mods off nexus and install via mod manager tab (or manual if u like)

We are currently in a transition period between FO4 updates so not all mods will be compatible with whichever version of FO4 you are currently running (let us know).

Many mods have a listing what they are compatible with and for others we may be able to answer it for you on here.

Posted (edited)

First, ignore anyone who starts off their post by shilling for Vortex.  Them folks ain't here to help you, they are here to promote the site and it's tools, often to your determent. 

Also, ignore anyone who tries to turn your game into their game by telling you what you absolutely MUST do.  Those folks are out to sell something warm, sticky and stinky.

Next, play the game for a few hundred hours with NO MODS, just to see what you like, don't like, want changed and don't want changed.  Nothing shapes your mod list better than playing the game. 

Next, choose a mod manager.  There are  maybe half a dozen good ones, and twice that which ain't worth much.  Read the literature on several mod managers and choose one which gives you the greatest comfort, one which provides you with the greatest understanding of what a mod manager is actually going to do for you and has the friendliest interface for YOU.  If all else fails, ask someone whose opinion you respect, and follow their advice. 

When you are satisfied that you know what you really want and have a mod manager in place, start small.  Pick a mod which will satisfy your top requirement.  Read the description, all the way through. Mods often have requirements like other mods, or a specific level of the game or a specific place in your load order.  If you don't read the description and miss a requirement, you can turn your game into hot buttered goat clusters.  Then read the description again.  If there is anything in the description you don't understand, ask someone to explain it (preferably the mod's author). 

Now, use your chosen mod manager and install the mod.  Get comfortable with the process of downloading, installing and activating a mod.  Look to your chosen mod manager to see if the information on the mod and it's status are clear and understandable to you.  

Once that lonely mod is in place and you are satisfied with the mod manager and the mod and your comprehension of the process, play the game a bit to see what difference the mod made.  If you like it, pick another mod, read the description a couple times, install the mod, test, rinse and repeat.  Just do not  be in a rush to install a couple dozen mods and expect everything to "just work".  That is a fools dream.  YOU HAVE TO DO THE WORK TO SUCCESSFULLY MOD AND PLAY A GAME. 

Edited by ScytheBearer
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

This is your first step:

Vortex at Modding Tools - Nexus Mods

And there are tutorials on Vortex itself. Other mod managers exist and have fanbases arguing they are better than vortex. This may be true but Vortex  is arguably the most widespread one and well integrated with Nexus.

For FO4, there are some mods that are utilities and are considered essential like buffout 4, F4SE , High FPS physics fix.

Once vortex, and these utilites are installed and working you can download individual mods off nexus and install via mod manager tab (or manual if u like)

We are currently in a transition period between FO4 updates so not all mods will be compatible with whichever version of FO4 you are currently running (let us know).

Many mods have a listing what they are compatible with and for others we may be able to answer it for you on here.

TYVM. I've played the game for about 60 hours or so on PS5 and know what mods I'm interested in. The problem is I came at a time when the game is a bit hot again, they "fix" it and the extender needs to be updated, as well as the mods. I'M trying to narrow it down to Mods done after the 13th when everything was fixed with the new extender.

Yes, I am here to help and NO I do not like VORTEX - the learning curve and such is .. well I quit and went back to Nexus Mod Manager. It's easy, it does the job and it works like a charm with very little learning curve.

Now that that is out of the way:

MODS:

RULES:

1 - Read Carefully the Description Page and see / read what it works with and does NOT work with.

( This seems like a no brainer, but a lot of people do not do this! )

2 - Read the Posts and see what kind of troubles / problems users of the specific mod are having and possible answers.

3 - Read the BUG REPORT PAGE, if there is one and make note there too.

4 - See when the last active post in the specific mod, shows when the Creator was active and how responsive they are and/or are not.

( IF they are hit and miss and show no real active response, simply put - AVOID IT - sad, but true. )

5 - Do not remove and/or add mods during game play .. just don't go there. 

6 - Do not rely on ENDORSEMENTS ... some earn them and rightly so and some ( sadly ) only get hit because of the IDEA and NOT THE QUALITY OF THE MOD.

( I have actually a number of mods that have little Endorsements that are GREAT MODS ... and >> YES << there are mods that have HIGH ENDORSEMENTS that actually earned them! )

....> Just remember #1 through #4. Always educate yourself on the mod before you install it.

As for ENB mods. I did a serious upgrade to my computer and video card and found some of the ENB were worthless. Why? Because the quality of the Video Card didn't need them. So make sure you understand ENB's and your Video Card. 

ADDED -> It is strongly advised that should you find a MOD that you just simply enjoy too much and want it always to be a part of your game play - BACK UP THE ZIP FILE .. because sometimes the Creator Removes the mod to be seen no more.

Hello everyone i been playing fallout 4 a long time when they put fallout 4 in the ps5 I thought this time we get better mode but it seems nothing have changed at all we PlayStation should have better mode just like PC n Xbox same mode as them I promise if they do tht Ik everyone in PlayStation will be on tht n enjoy the game more

9 hours ago, Woody4477 said:

Hello everyone i been playing fallout 4 a long time when they put fallout 4 in the ps5 I thought this time we get better mode but it seems nothing have changed at all we PlayStation should have better mode just like PC n Xbox same mode as them I promise if they do tht Ik everyone in PlayStation will be on tht n enjoy the game more

Hello to our group.

Yes I understand Sony locked that platform down.