quest and adventure mod category

See this is what i am talking about. I gave you the simple definitions of a word that describes the state of an object. It is either maintained or it is definitionally abandoned.

You are inferring expectation and judgement from a single one word description that accurately describes the state of an object. What anyone expects or thinks of the owner of that object is irrelevant and has no bearing whatsoever on the practical use their work.

As far as abandonment is concerned it is by no means a crime. I have several abandoned mods from games passed(maps & resources for OB, FO3 and SK) and they were made use of by others long after I had left them to rot and that is how it should be. Once you abandon your mod it effectively doesn't belong to you alone anymore and if someone wants to resurrect it with a patch then that is only fair.

Sometimes death and illness come into the picture, sometimes it is unruly fans, sometimes authors move on with their careers, and sometimes they are offended by moderation staff.  They move on and we love them for the work they left behind.

I can think of several of those things in terms of authors SmartBlueCat, Emma, Kris Takahashi, and Thuggysmurf.  The only thing that would interfere with those completed mods is new updates from the game maker that break the game in general.

I'm with @worm82075 on this one.
Both the definiton of the word, and the fact that the modders don't own us anything. We own them gratitude.

I always download mods I want to keep to my archive, and as I am staying on "old-gen" for the foreseable future, the mods from RedRocketTV, the amazing mods from Thuggy, Ruddy88, fadingsignal, humannature66. SKK,  and countless other, works fine..
Went back to FO4 after a long break, the mods work, as they have always done.

Stop whining, be aware of game and mod versions, and download and store them for future use.

• Like 1

On 5/24/2024 at 12:52 AM, worm82075 said:

See this is what i am talking about. I gave you the simple definitions of a word that describes the state of an object. It is either maintained or it is definitionally abandoned.

You are inferring expectation and judgement from a single one word description that accurately describes the state of an object. What anyone expects or thinks of the owner of that object is irrelevant and has no bearing whatsoever on the practical use their work.

As far as abandonment is concerned it is by no means a crime. I have several abandoned mods from games passed(maps & resources for OB, FO3 and SK) and they were made use of by others long after I had left them to rot and that is how it should be. Once you abandon your mod it effectively doesn't belong to you alone anymore and if someone wants to resurrect it with a patch then that is only fair.

No, it's simple.

When you abandon something you walk away from it - out of apathy.

Most old mods are not left that way.    They are left in the state they were when they walked away from the game (or were pried away from it from life's demands).

Remember,   A budding 19 year old College student who made a mod in 2015 is now 28 years old with likely a wife, a kid or two (or more) and the business for providing for the family and their financial future.   Those things don't mesh well with the expectations of mod users to keep updating a mod they made for a game they haven't even entertained in the last 8 or so years...

It's even simpler than that.  Be responsible.  If you aren't going to maintain your mods, give them to someone else or take them down.  Don't leave your discards and detritus lying about for others to stumble over or step in. 

If you are unwilling to take responsibility for your "stuff", then you are part of what is wrong with modding.  You are what drags the reputation of mod makers into the swamp.  You're one of the mod authors user love to hate, and deservedly so. 

Responsible?    To who?   You?

Good luck with that bud.

Where is this document they are supposed to read, sign and 100% follow through on before they post a mod at?

-----

I've never posted a mod I've created in the 10+ years I've been on the Nexus - and posts like yours are why I don't.   

Too many people have unrealistic expectations for my time.    

And I'll be honest here - I've been guilty of the same over the years and I'm not proud of it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fraquar said:

Responsible?    To who?   You?

Good luck with that bud.

Where is this document they are supposed to read, sign and 100% follow through on before they post a mod at?

-----

I've never posted a mod I've created in the 10+ years I've been on the Nexus - and posts like yours are why I don't.   

Too many people have unrealistic expectations for my time.    

And I'll be honest here - I've been guilty of the same over the years and I'm not proud of it.

How about responsible to the community at large and the users who get abandoned? 

Now, for the record;  please tell us all just exactly how much time does it take a mod author to remove a mod they no longer intend to support?  Seconds?  Minutes? 

And while we on the record, please, tell us where we might find the documentation which entitles mod makers to leave their "stuff" in the bowl without flushing when they're done?

Edited by ScytheBearer

7 hours ago, fraquar said:

No, it's simple.

When you abandon something you walk away from it - out of apathy.

Most old mods are not left that way.    They are left in the state they were when they walked away from the game (or were pried away from it from life's demands).

It doesn't sound good but when you give your kid up for adoption you are still definitionally abandoning them. If you travel abroad and leave your kids with family and die on the trip then you still definitionally abandoned them. Again the circumstances of how an object ends up separated from it's creator are irrelevant because the result is definitionally the same. You can't just change the definition a word and tell me that is actually what i mean when i use it. I get that you FEEL like there is a distinction to be made and I don't necessarily disagree with the distinction you have drawn however if language is to be used to communicate amicably with each other we have to agree on the meaning of words and that is why we have dictionaries.

Just to be clear this is a purely academic disagreement. I don't disagree with the spirit of your argument. Also, apologies for disrespecting you previously when i mistook your skeptism for disdain.

I'm obviously a fanboy and you are a skeptic so of course we will be at odds sometimes but you seem to have good character and honestly i don't want to live in an echo chamber. I need to be challenged by people i can respect.

Unlike this guy..who by the way is exactly the type of user you were describing.

4 hours ago, ScytheBearer said:

How about responsible to the community at large and the users who get abandoned

Now, for the record;  please tell us all just exactly how much time does it take a mod author to remove a mod they no longer intend to support?  Seconds?  Minutes? 

And while we on the record, please, tell us where we might find the documentation which entitles mod makers to leave their "stuff" in the bowl without flushing when they're done?

One can not abandon that which they have never created nor possessed.

What a sad place this would be if we could only download mods from active mod authors.

One man's trash is another man's treasure.

You know, i am a free speech absolutist and in my over 25 years on the internet(yes i started on dial-up) i have never blocked another person from any of my personal accounts. I did run a website in this community for a couple years and obviously people like you would eventually have to be banned but YOU might be my very first block though.

Nah, i'm just kidding. I'll just stop responding to you eventually, hopefully before I get my self banned. I'm getting too old for this sht. 🤐

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, worm82075 said:

< snip >

You know, i am a free speech absolutist and in my over 25 years on the internet(yes i started on dial-up) i have never blocked another person from any of my personal accounts. I did run a website in this community for a couple years and obviously people like you would eventually have to be banned but YOU might be my very first block though.

Nah, i'm just kidding. I'll just stop responding to you eventually, hopefully before I get my self banned. I'm getting too old for this sht. 🤐

... unless someone has the temerity to express a belief you disapprove of, then you are into suppression, censuring, dismissal and ad hominems.  If you were being honest with us and yourself, your self aggrandizing claim would read "i am a free speech absolutist just as long as everyone agrees with me".  Talk about self deluding.  It's bad enough that you lie to us, but lying to yourself.  tsk  tsk.

And lastly, unless you remember "Ike for President" ads, don't even start spouting "I'm getting too old for this crap". 

Edited by ScytheBearer