I think I'm better off not trying to mod at all

Posted (edited)

Todd has been working on jettisoning Fallout:London since they said they were going to release in September of 2023.

They were slated to push this update last year - but didn't because Fallout:London pushed back their release to 2024.

When they gave the exact date they were going to release it, Todd must have soiled his drawers in anticipation for shutting it down with that update.

Edited by fraquar

8 hours ago, Infamous95 said:

Modding isnt for everyone. It took me 3 months to get the hang of it as a beginner with zero experience. Theres all sorts of stuff Ive learned over the years and still a bunch of stuff I dont know and likely will never have the time to learn them because life is busy. I started with xedit because its easy and more organized to my brain than the creation kit. I recommend just messing around seeing how the game records are set up maybe look at other mods and see how they set things up. My first mod was an update of another mod and it wasnt perfect but as you learn you can go back and fix those things.

On 6/1/2024 at 9:05 PM, cyan49 said:

This happens when you have an idea that is more than your learning motivation. This luckily didn't apply to me, but I've seen a lot of people stuck here. There is nothing you can do to bypass the learning curve.

My advice is to work on your projects even if you never finish them. It is very likely that what you learn will be useful for another project in your future.

On 6/1/2024 at 3:57 PM, Pellape said:

Our Nuke teacher in my 3D class told us that frustration is a good thing, sometimes it is. Nuke is frustrating for sure.  😉  Is frustration really good? 

Well Issacreaper2: I am not sure anything I would say would make you in a better mood really. One of my biggest mods, released 2006, a week before Oblivon came out was frustrating to make, well it was boring really but I felt I had to finish it and it took me 2 years,  back and forth but it ended up in a  Video later on, the 10 best dungeons for Mrorrowind 2017 and it was worth it and honestly, I do think it is the best and most dangerous dungeon I played in Morrowind.  😉 When I think about it, at least most good looking...  But so damn boring to make  😄  I made a lot of funnier mods since then and a lot in between. Not much are available as we uploaded our stuff to sites that do not exist any longer. The dungeon is however

Take a break and get back to it and what is it you fail with in the first place?  What I do know, as I am not a Fallout/Skyrim expert at all is to peek at this video series now, from start to finish and I did learn new stuff in the first episode that I did not knew about. I do consider myself as an Oblivion pro, but a Fallout 4/Skyrim newbie. I do remember 2012 when I first opened Skyrim CK, I failed to create a bloody door, closed it and did not open it again until 2022.  😄  Oblivion in the other hand, I made a lot of stuff 2020-2022 and I feel there is nothing I cannot do for that game. I do also recall the frustration when I first opened Morrowind CS, got a shock and closed it, but I managed to get into a good team, one of the best there was if you ask me and I learned a lot from them.

You need to give some more info if I can give any tips at all, well if I ever can that is. But do peek at Kingath Bethesda modding school, the author of SS2, if you have not seen it and hopefully it might shear you up some or inspire you to continue.  🙂  I do it right now, from part 1. I want to learn everything there is to CK and specially Papyrus as that one gives me grey hairs and is very different from Morrowind/Oblivion scripting. Kingath is very pedagogic.

On 6/1/2024 at 1:01 AM, DjinnKiller said:

Modding, as in using mods, is not that hard, but you have to spend some time learning.
Your loss if you quit. You will be missing out on a huge world of content created by some pretty brilliant people......

Creating mods is another story, but obviously doable, again, spend time learning, nothing comes free (work, put in the time necessary).

9 hours ago, RoNin1971 said:

The question is: Why?

Why do you think that you might be "better off"? You never will be. Being able to change or add anything you want (ultimately) to a game you like is 'unbeatable'.

Sure, prior knowledge of scripting/programming, Databases, 3d modelling and/or graphics manipulation helps. A lot. So work on those skills if you don't have 'm. Step by step. (and not all at the same time! )

Take the project you have in mind and cut it up into small pieces. The size of a single, simple, script/texture/3d model. Change a single setting for a weapon or armor. Create a simple, 1 room, cell and add a load-door somewhere to access it. etc.

Starting big is starting to fail 😛

For example, don't try to totally change & modify an internal cell until you know pretty much all about its mechanics. You need a clear sight at what needs to be done. Otherwise you are doomed to make mistakes or forget stuff or do things the wrong way & all your work was good for the experience ... and the trashbin.

May I ask what exactly are (or where) you trying to accomplish?

We (as in: the community) might be able to give some (better) advise or pointers on how to get there. 'cause, "modding" can be pretty much anything. Changing a few stats doesn't require any graphics or 3D skills. When using xEdit to do so, it doesn't even require any knowledge of CK. So what ever skills you need, depends on what exactly you want to do.

Thanks, I didn't really expect to get this many comments on this forum. This is quite a lot and I'm a little overwhelmed. This forum was just me expressing my feelings more than anything and now I feel a little better. I was doing a bunch of things at once and was so lost in the thought of creating something I couldn't really think. I haven't even created a mod yet. I don't even really know what I want. Welp guess what I have to do is take a mental break after all I've have real world issues I have to fix too I do have some things I want to share that I thought was pretty cool though (that's if you think it's cool😅)

advanced power armor mk1 sculpt attempt.JPG

Frank horrigan sculpt attempt .JPG

Posted (edited)

They do look cool. I get the feeling they are High-Poly?  Could you count the polygons in Blender and even show the wire-frames?  Making stuff for games and for raytracing, videos or pictures, is not the same thing as when we make stuff for the game, we must keep the polygons down.

Take a break and get back to it when you feel like it. When it comes to the CK, now you know which tutorial to follow  🙂   I do think it was a bit easier to start 20 years ago as CS for Morrowind was not that comp+0licated as CK is. The script language was easier to understand as well than Papyrus is. It is the defines I do have issues with but I will learn it one day.

The drill I made below, with Fusion 360 and exported to Blender, has around 500 polygons and the bit as well I guess. I have made models with a million polygons as well, well photo-scans and it does not matter as long as it is not for the game. Well except for they can crash Blender easy...  😉

My favorite Bethesda model must be the Dvemer coffee machine I made for Oblivion 3 years ago for my big Oblivion project.  😄  I do guess, 100-200 polygons. The main reason why I did choose it to really look like an octagon, well 8 sides, is because that is how the dvemer stuff looked like in Morrowind, so I really wanted it to have 8 sides.

52047-1657289883-1029630034.jpeg

I also made fitting cups

52047-1657289972-1812827091.jpeg

It can be so that the number of polygons is not as important these days as it was 10-15 years ago but do share the numbers and/or a wire-frame anyway.  😉    

Edited by Pellape

11 hours ago, Issacreaper2 said:

Thanks, I didn't really expect to get this many comments on this forum. This is quite a lot and I'm a little overwhelmed. This forum was just me expressing my feelings more than anything and now I feel a little better. I was doing a bunch of things at once and was so lost in the thought of creating something I couldn't really think. I haven't even created a mod yet. I don't even really know what I want. Welp guess what I have to do is take a mental break after all I've have real world issues I have to fix too I do have some things I want to share that I thought was pretty cool though (that's if you think it's cool😅)

advanced power armor mk1 sculpt attempt.JPG

Frank horrigan sculpt attempt .JPG

Pretty good. The second one reminds me of a Yautja. (Predator)

Edit:

If these are high-poly then thats not a problem. It would actually help. A lot.

Just make a copy and add a decimate to it to reduce the face count to a minimum.

Then use them both to bake the normal. (there are some very good video's around on how to bake a normal with blender.) The result will be 100x better as using a diffuse map (or a specially/hand made 'height map') and the 'normal map' filter in Gimp.

19 hours ago, DjinnKiller said:

The update didn't kill anything as long as you stay on old-gen.

But, the TV show brought a whole slew of new gamers to FO4, and when they try to manovuer  between old and new gen mods, chaos is asured.
Why the fcuk did Todd have to release this new-gen now, a pile of shite adding nothing but crap.
Nuking Fallout London days before release, creating chaos and confusion for new players.
How this dude has kept his job all this years is an enigma to me.

He kept his job, because it works.

A company like Beth doesn't really care much about old-players, using mods. Those do not bring in the revenues they seek.

They need to sell the game to new players. Usually young players used to better graphics and stuff as a 9 years old game can deliver.

The next-gen update is absolutely needed for that. Albeit mostly to little, to late (& could have been way better)

Besides, Beth is one of the few actively supporting modding, providing tools etc. So personally I give 'm some slack.

Yes it would have been nice to get an update that doesn't break old mods, and is actually totally worth it, but that's just an unrealistic expectation in today's world. Imho.

You have a hard time bringing in new players convincing them to

a)  Download and play a 10 year old game - then forcing an update down the pipe moments after you do bring them in.

b)  DISASSOCIATE your current player base at the expense of bringing in new players.

That really only makes sense if you don't plan on releasing the next version of Fallout for another 10 years....

a) alone is a challenge - even if you don't screw with their game moments after getting them to try it.

12 hours ago, RoNin1971 said:

Pretty good. The second one reminds me of a Yautja. (Predator)

Edit:

If these are high-poly then thats not a problem. It would actually help. A lot.

Just make a copy and add a decimate to it to reduce the face count to a minimum.

Then use them both to bake the normal. (there are some very good video's around on how to bake a normal with blender.) The result will be 100x better as using a diffuse map (or a specially/hand made 'height map') and the 'normal map' filter in Gimp.

yeah they are high-poly and yes I am in the process of using retopology on one of them it's a little hard with the first one

11 hours ago, RoNin1971 said:

He kept his job, because it works.

A company like Beth doesn't really care much about old-players, using mods. Those do not bring in the revenues they seek.

They need to sell the game to new players. Usually young players used to better graphics and stuff as a 9 years old game can deliver.

The next-gen update is absolutely needed for that. Albeit mostly to little, to late (& could have been way better)

Besides, Beth is one of the few actively supporting modding, providing tools etc. So personally I give 'm some slack.

Yes it would have been nice to get an update that doesn't break old mods, and is actually totally worth it, but that's just an unrealistic expectation in today's world. Imho.

I don't know if I agree with that if I didn't know any better, I'd probably call them money hungry and I'm pretty sure they didn't have to come out with an update that wasn't tested because of all of those but that's my opinion and I think it's courteous to respect everyone's opinion. Anyway, I'm a little confused is it just old mods or mods that aren't compatible with the new update.