Fallout 4 CTD on main menu

5 hours ago, fraquar said:

I have no idea what the download entails.    I will say this though - just do the downgrade.

You should literally have NO mods installed to make sure the upgrade was done properly.

All you need is F4SE and the Scripts - that's it.   No Bullet Counted Reload, no Buffout 4, no High Physics Fix, etc.   i.e. Nothing.

---------

You add that stuff AFTER you have completed the downgrade successfully.   

That was after the downgrade had run successfully, and everything worked when launched from the F4SE by itself in the actual game file. That is the crashlog from the first or second time it was attempted to be run from MO2 with anything installed. that just happens to be the most recent one when I started attempting to build a mod list praying that it would work. It doesn't crash until MO2 gets involved.

Launch the game with MO2 (F4SE)  - with no mods installed.

That is your foundation - just like having a clean game install was earlier.

One step at a time - trying to rush things just makes the process take longer.

----

If the game runs with MO2 using F4SE with no mods installed - then your problem is with the mods you are using - not MO2 or F4SE.

I'm not saying MO2 is infallible but I've used MO for the last 10 years - in that time I've been the reason why the game hasn't launched - not the mod manager.

I didn't do my due diligence - as anyone looking to mod their game should, 

Edited by fraquar

38 minutes ago, fraquar said:

Launch the game with MO2 (F4SE)  - with no mods installed.

That is your foundation - just like having a clean game install was earlier.

One step at a time - trying to rush things just makes the process take longer.

----

If the game runs with MO2 using F4SE with no mods installed - then your problem is with the mods you are using - not MO2 or F4SE.

I'm not saying MO2 is infallible but I've used MO for the last 10 years - in that time I've been the reason why the game hasn't launched - not the mod manager.

I didn't do my due diligence - as anyone looking to mod their game should, 

I will do that momentarily. Thank you.

I haven't used MO since it's first iteration so i am curious as what function has been added to MO2 that makes it beneficial in some way to start the game through the app instead of just starting it directly.

Starting the game through Steam leaves Steam open while the game is running. The same is true with Vortex. I imagine it is no different with MO2 so why would you want it running in the background while the game is running? Is it doing something I should be aware of?

14 hours ago, worm82075 said:

I haven't used MO since it's first iteration so i am curious as what function has been added to MO2 that makes it beneficial in some way to start the game through the app instead of just starting it directly.

Starting the game through Steam leaves Steam open while the game is running. The same is true with Vortex. I imagine it is no different with MO2 so why would you want it running in the background while the game is running? Is it doing something I should be aware of?

Supposedly it makes a perfectly clean install of mods because it uses a virtual file system which doesn’t install any files actually in the games files which makes it easy to uninstall because there is nothing to clean up or look for. I chug is better than trying to remove mods with some others, and definitely from some other games like KoTor and Kotor2TSL among some others I can think of. Now if only I could get FO4 to run at all with just one file installed.

On 6/21/2024 at 4:04 PM, fraquar said:

I have no idea what the download entails.    I will say this though - just do the downgrade.

You should literally have NO mods installed to make sure the upgrade was done properly.

All you need is F4SE and the Scripts - that's it.   No Bullet Counted Reload, no Buffout 4, no High Physics Fix, etc.   i.e. Nothing.

---------

You add that stuff AFTER you have completed the downgrade successfully.   

Okay, I just deleted the entire game and anything involved or connected to do a complete clean install…again. I had it working. I even had approximately 50 mods installed on the 4th start when I played about a hour to test it. Then I turned off the PC and went to bed. When I came back this morning I can’t even get the game to load again. This time it was installed to the actual ssd on my PC not the sdxc where I have all the other steam games installed. So I dumped all the mods and attempted to start fresh…no dice. Also not a single one of the mods was a an F4SE mod it was only outfits and two guns. I’m open any advice…again. Not sure what I did wrong this time. I went slow and added them in lots of 10 and tested it after every 10 mods and it worked. It actually worked. Now it doesn’t again. I’m totally lost as I am still having the same issue. Either the game doesn’t load at all, or the audio menu loads forever and leads to a CTD with no error message or anything from buffout or any of the other diagnoses programs recommended around here.

Posted (edited)

Okay. What did I do wrong? I installed only Fallout 4, F4SE, and did the downgrade...that is it. Nothing else is installed. just that. Now I can't even get F4SE to launch the game. That was working until I turned my PC off.

*EDIT* Okay. I just got it working again. Now it works but the main menu is completely blank. this is frustrating.

Edited by BattleshipsSpaceships57

What happens when you delete Fallout 4 and reinstall it (next gen) without any mod and without F4SE? Does is work?* If so make the downgrade again and get F4SE 0.6.23 from https://f4se.silverlock.org and unpack the files into the Fallout 4 main folder (where the Fallout4.exe is) and set your game in Steam to be only updated on launch before you start Fallout 4. Now try again to launch the game through the F4SE_loader. In case it crashes you can try to delete every Creation Club content from your game. Everything that begins with cc....in Fallout4\Data. It should start now and hopefully show the whole main menu. If so don't forget to disable weapon debris in your Fallout 4 launcher and start the game always through the F4SE_launcher. 

*If it only works next-gen perhaps it's best to leave it that way and wait for updates for your F4SE dependent mods.

Edited by subaverage

• 2 weeks later...