NifSkope: How to convert NiTriShape into BSGeometry mesh? Please help...

Hi All,

I have been trying to make a very simple custom object for Starfield (just a dice, which happens to be a textured version of the default cube Blender starts with). As a kind of test to see if I can get it working.

I am having difficulty getting my mesh into a format that Starfield accepts. My workflow so far is:

To create the .nif

• Install Blender 2.83
  • Open Blender 2.83, get rid of splash screen
  • Install Add-on to Blender: Import/Export NetImmerse/Gamebryo format support
  • Delete light and camera
  • Add texture to the dice/cube
  • (add a vertex colour to the cube) for some reason the Import/Export addon requires this
  • Set scene details for Nif Version Info to Fallout 76 then manually change the 'User Version' and 'User Version 2' variables  to 11.
  • Export as 'cube.nif'

To alter the nif

• I am using NifSkope 2.0 dev 9
  • Open cube.nif
  • The shape of the cube now appears in NifSkope but it is represented as a NiTriShape
  • All the models I have looked at thus far in NifSkope for Starfield seem to use BSGeometry meshes to display shape information but I see no way to convert a NiTriShape to BSGeometry mesh.

Any help would be graetly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sam

Edited by SammyPeer

I have never been able to get Blender to work.  I install it, install the plugin, try to import a NIF, and get some error about "setup assets first".

I get I'm not the target end-user for Blender, but shouldn't an install program walk you through, you know, installing the program?

On 6/19/2024 at 12:10 AM, fo76utils said:

Try using this Blender plugin (with the fix for version 1.11.36+ from here), the Niftools one does not seem to support Starfield yet.

Thanks fo76utils. That plugin for Blender seems to work as intended. Now I just have to figure out how to get my custom texture onto my dice.

I have been trying to use this mod to manage my materials but so far no luck:

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/7830

1 hour ago, AngelWilly said:

I can confirm that Blender plugin that "fo76utilsis talking about works. I just finished my first 3D model from scratch. Blender 3.6.4 -> Nifskope -> Creation Kit -> GAME 🙂 Works as it should

That is great AngelWilly.

Did you happen to use a custom mesh or texture? I have been struggling to get either into the game, even with the Starfield Geometry Bridge plugin for Blender and the Material Export Mod linked above.

If you could give a more detailed explanation I would appreciate it a lot.

22 hours ago, SammyPeer said:

That is great AngelWilly.

Did you happen to use a custom mesh or texture? I have been struggling to get either into the game, even with the Starfield Geometry Bridge plugin for Blender and the Material Export Mod linked above.

If you could give a more detailed explanation I would appreciate it a lot.

Yep, I have my custom mesh + my textures. Simply everything is done by me 😄 It's gonna be a new Standalone weapon. I've seen you already put your textures into the game. So is it working as it should? Not sure which thread is the most recent one

17 hours ago, AngelWilly said:

Yep, I have my custom mesh + my textures. Simply everything is done by me 😄 It's gonna be a new Standalone weapon. I've seen you already put your textures into the game. So is it working as it should? Not sure which thread is the most recent one

Very nice, AngelWilly,

I have just now got my dice into the game and found it where I spawned it in Akila City. Sadly no working physics yet, but that is my next task.

Thanks to you and fo76utils for your assistance. Without which I would still be floundering.

So I made the model and textured it in Blender 3.6 then changed settings and exported with this plugin from Sesame Paste on Nexusmods site. Altered the .nif with a NifSkope version from Deveris256 on Github. I also had to change the material (.mat) file with Starfield Creation Kit using AngelWilly's instructions from this forum post.

The result is seen in the attached picture. A big ole dice with no physics or collision sitting in mid air in the Universe Sanctorum.

Thanks again,

Sam

First Dice in Game - no physics (small).jpg

3 hours ago, SammyPeer said:

Very nice, AngelWilly,

I have just now got my dice into the game and found it where I spawned it in Akila City. Sadly no working physics yet, but that is my next task.

Thanks to you and fo76utils for your assistance. Without which I would still be floundering.

So I made the model and textured it in Blender 3.6 then changed settings and exported with this plugin from Sesame Paste on Nexusmods site. Altered the .nif with a NifSkope version from Deveris256 on Github. I also had to change the material (.mat) file with Starfield Creation Kit using AngelWilly's instructions from this forum post.

The result is seen in the attached picture. A big ole dice with no physics or collision sitting in mid air in the Universe Sanctorum.

Thanks again,

Sam

First Dice in Game - no physics (small).jpg

Nice one, good start 🙂 Yeah the physics is something I lack behind as well. my weapon has collision only on its body, but the rest is without it. I still cant get used to Nifskope formats 😄