FO4edit: Can't "copy as override" files that are prefixed with letters

When I attempt to copy the file FE01A781 as override, the system changes the formID to 00000781 and seemingly copies it as a new file, as it's not attached to the original file tree. Any idea how to circumvent this?

I can copy any other file, such as 57000810.

I'm trying to add more faces to a mod's face pool.

I'm not sure I understand your question in part because I don't think you mean copy file but mean copy record. And it looks like, perhaps, you're trying to copy as override from on ESL file to an ESP file?

The FE01 portion of the record is not the record number. The A781 is the record number, and if FO4Edit is telling you an operation is illegal, I do recommend you trust it.

I don't currently have a working Fallout 4 so can't offer to look at and test a plugin for you, but if you step back and examine what you're trying to do I feel confident you'll figure it out 🙂

Kinda where Karna5 has gone.

If you are trying to ADD new faces, you need to Copy as New Record.

Then you change whatever you need to change in that new record and change whatever needs to reference that new record.

Edited by fraquar

On 6/21/2024 at 1:15 PM, fraquar said:

Kinda where Karna5 has gone.

If you are trying to ADD new faces, you need to Copy as New Record.

Then you change whatever you need to change in that new record and change whatever needs to reference that new record.

The .esp has a levelled list, I'm trying to copy as override into my .esp. when I do it, it just copies it as a new record, but ends up overwriting activation markers for some reason. The FormIDs keep changing, too. When I load all my mods in fo4edit, it prefixes this .esp's formIDs with FE (FE01A781). If load just my mod and the one I want to copy, it changes the whole ID to 30000002

On 6/21/2024 at 6:51 AM, Karna5 said:

I'm not sure I understand your question in part because I don't think you mean copy file but mean copy record. And it looks like, perhaps, you're trying to copy as override from on ESL file to an ESP file?

The FE01 portion of the record is not the record number. The A781 is the record number, and if FO4Edit is telling you an operation is illegal, I do recommend you trust it.

I don't currently have a working Fallout 4 so can't offer to look at and test a plugin for you, but if you step back and examine what you're trying to do I feel confident you'll figure it out 🙂

They're both .esp's. and my apologies, record is what I meant to say. Fo4edit isn't saying anything can't be done, it's just not doing what it usually does. I've never had an issue editing levelled lists, but I do it in my own .esp so I don't have to touch the original mod.

I seem to recall having a similar issue when making a patch for a mod that uses an ESL plugin. I think it was because the plugin header in my patch ESP was version 0.95 and changing it to 1.00 fixed it for me.

Also, try checking the plugin you are copying from for errors.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2024 at 3:53 AM, mkh97 said:

I seem to recall having a similar issue when making a patch for a mod that uses an ESL plugin. I think it was because the plugin header in my patch ESP was version 0.95 and changing it to 1.00 fixed it for me.

Also, try checking the plugin you are copying from for errors.

Sir... You're a genius. Changing the version number from .95 to 1 worked perfectly. Thank you so much!!!

• Like 1