Question to the Gurus for the GOG version

I am Currently runing .163 via Steam.

This works reall well with my mods list

Howeve rI also own the GOG game on my SSD.

Previius attempts have shown that only half my mods seem to act on the GOG verion though.

there was a trick of chanign somehting in the game files of the GOG game for this? I seen it mentioned beofre about tweaking some settings?

I dont want to be dead in the water in case Steam ever manages to break through my last defense the 377160.acf file set to read only. They are trying to update me every single time I start the game even if its via F4SE, IMO just one step short of a hacking attack 😄

So i want to be ready to switch to GOG.

Anyone know the settings tweaks we are suppsoed to do with the GOG files to make them take all our mods?

Posted (edited)

I haven't done anything special with the GOG version at all - and I've been using it since it released.

Maybe the only thing different with my setup is that Steam has never been on this box.   I reinstalled Windows 10 once Fallout 4 hit GOG - I simply didn't need it anymore and to be honest never really used it's "features" anyway.

Added:   I did need to copy over the Creation Kit since GOG doesn't come with that.   I have the version downloaded from the old Bethesda Launcher - before it migrated to Steam.  

Edited by fraquar
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, fraquar said:

I haven't done anything special with the GOG version at all - and I've been using it since it released.

Maybe the only thing different with my setup is that Steam has never been on this box.   I reinstalled Windows 10 once Fallout 4 hit GOG - I simply didn't need it anymore and to be honest never really used it's "features" anyway.

Added:   I did need to copy over the Creation Kit since GOG doesn't come with that.   I have the version downloaded from the old Bethesda Launcher - before it migrated to Steam.  

OK. thanks. I know you're one of the Gurus on here so what you write has weight.

but I remebr when I DLed GOG, it was unable to use a large portion of my plug ins.

When I moved save games over it they would complain about missing all these .esp when the save game loaded and osmeone here wrote something about tweaking .ini files or something to let GOG levelrage  certian plug ins.

But maybe I will just try again actually setting up a GOG only profile on Vortex now and then starting my F4se thats linked to GOG and see what happens (rebuilt the computer since those installtions with the SSDs so thats another variable)

OK made a new profile on Vortex for a new clean GOG run. Lablled it GOG profile.

Opened it via my F4SE that is pathed to the GOG falllout 4 folders.

Same issue:

- Within minutes of playing I found several mods that where enabled and had active plug ins ( I checked) that were simply not showing up in the game:

-Select Assault Rifle, the hatch to get it did not exist and a console command search drew a lank also

-Select Power Armor, The hatch to the basement to find it did not exists, a check via console command search same result , not in game

-jetpack integration into Power Armor legs. not in game

- Diamond City Security buff, not in game despite active in mods and plug ins

- Xander's Aid (big Quest mod) enabled both mod and plugs ins. - no show in game

-Clothing replacer I had forgot about. I noticed this tme since Piper looked less sexy, so anotehr one not in game

-Diamond City plus (a DC Expansion) - no show in game, despite ative in profile in both Mods and plug ins section

These are the issues I always had with the GOG game on 3 different computers and at least 3 maybe 3 versions of Vortex now. All on Win 11 (not sure if it matters)

More shenanigans:

- Several mods showed up in MCM, marked when trying to open with ".esp missing!" messages. Yet they were mods that were disabled in Vortex for this GOG profile! Checked where the save games where, yes definetly playing the correct profile loading from the GOG files with F4SE

-Atomic World 2.0 not in game, yet Atomic World 1.9 with its locations was. (i can tell difference)  1.9 was disabled in this profile well prior to start of new game and 2.0 enabled. So 2.0 did not show up in game but 1.9 kept ghosting

I did this on my MSI gaming laptop while I am typing here on my desktop

MSI Raider 78, Win 11, i9 14900, 64 GB RAM, 2 Samsung 990 PRO SSDs, RTX 4090 (laptop version of course)

Mods that for sure worked:

CBBE ( could see on pipers figure)

Cheat Console (to help me teleport aorund to check locations and mods)

vault tec in concord : small location mod  showed up in game

So this is in line with my previous experiences on a differnet computer with GOG. Someone posted somewhere there was a trick to get them all to work on GOG, but I posted there  a couple months ago no answer.

Posted (edited)

I went 100% clean.   Did not retain any save games - there was no point to it from my perspective.  

Fresh OS install, fresh GOG game install, fresh MO2 mod list.   Nice clean break.

Added:  Remember, Save Game Files have things baked into them and I had/have no exact understanding of what GOG had to do to make it DRM free and whether it would affect save game files.    I do know that with a new game I have no issues with mods or save game files.

Edited by fraquar
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, fraquar said:

I went 100% clean.   Did not retain any save games - there was no point to it from my perspective.  

Fresh OS install, fresh GOG game install, fresh MO2 mod list.   Nice clean break.

Added:  Remember, Save Game Files have things baked into them and I had/have no exact understanding of what GOG had to do to make it DRM free and whether it would affect save game files.    I do know that with a new game I have no issues with mods or save game files.

Understood Sir.

Thats is why my main complaint is that my New games started on GOG gamefiles only have these issues.

My savegame files i copy/pasted over had same though.

Maybe there is some overlap in game files on the C drive that is causing my issues as I have both Stema and GOG FO4 installed on the same computer and run both off the same Vortex.

Thats onlty explanation i have right now.

but even so the mods that are not "hooking into" GOG, are mods that are active on (nearly) all my other profiles on steam also, so if there wa soverlap the opposite would make sense ( not being able ot get rid of them)

Actually I did see a bit of that too when in the MCM i had mods listed that were not on this GOG profile and the MCM losted listed "missing .esp" as an issue but they were not enabled on this profile.

21 minutes ago, fraquar said:

GOG profile?   Are you trying to use MO2 in a Global Instance to manage both Steam and GOG versions? 

yes.

I use Vortex to manage both my Steam and my GOG.

I hold the GOG in reserve, when I switch between the two, I use different F4SE files installations.

The one shortcutted on my task bar is pathed to GOG game files and the one shortcutted on Vortex is pathed to Steam game files .

I enable the GOG profile on Vortex and then open via my F4SE pathed to GOG game files.

Works great, except when it doesn't 😄

On neither of my computers I was ever willing to completely tear down my Steam install and my steam profiles on Vortex, as all that is working so well and I was told somewhere on these pages that its fine.. 

I can't speak to your setup.    Maybe someone versed in Vortex can help.

Personally, I never saw a need to switch to the "latest and greatest"  (i.e. Vortex) when what I was using (MO) was working spot on.

I'm an old fart, getting resistant to change - just for change sake.    To me that was the vibe I got from Vortex.

• Like 1