It is lonely in the Off Topic thread Forum Games.

Pagafyr

I sent my regards and then spent some time traveling along our memory lane.  Then I posted a Farewell too.  The sense of relief from my grief came after it.  In my thinking the farewell is the point where he knows I, or anyone, that has; lets him go on his way to where ever our souls travel once all of the family and friends do so too.

1 hour ago, Pagafyr said:

I sent my regards and then spent some time traveling along our memory lane.

Good for you and your friend. Really, no sarcasm intended. Keep doing that because I believe that's how one achieves immortality, by being remembered either as a person or the legacy one leaves behind, good or bad.

Some folks think that immortality is achieved in the flesh. I don't see that happening, not in our current biological composition anyways. I suppose that some savvy and clever scientist could genetically alter/create an immortal genome and then birth it via surrogate womb or maybe just 3-D print out a baby with the genome already embedded. It's probably happening right now in some lab somewhere over there. But who the heck wants to be a genetically altered freak of humanity? And you're immortal too? So you have a whole bunch of time to consider yourself. What if you don't like being immortal? I don't know about you, but I wouldn't mind it for awhile. I suppose maybe 30-50 years beyond my average life span and I'd be bored with it and go looking for someone to lop off my head. Forever is too long to suffer fools.

I kind of went off on a tangent there. Sorry 'bout that. Cheers...

• Like 1

Thx.

Interest in those theories is a good exercise for our mind; as well you know.  I accept the idea that Memory Lane is a path we build as we live.  I accept the idea that our discoveries are what interests us.

I suggest that when someone we find left a path, while we are following it we walk alongside each other along the way.  While we are investigating others paths, that could be the makings of a story that could make them immortal on that level?  

In your thinking is it plausible that as long as someone living remembers our story we live like an immortal?

Could immortality be what is known as our written record as well as a living person's memory, of all our lifetime and our achievements?

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Pagafyr said:

Could immortality be what is known as our written record as well as a living person's memory, of all our lifetime and our achievements?

The ancient Egyptians had a belief like that which is one of the reasons they erased some people's names - so they couldn't be remembered and spoken aloud again. Some of the modders we've lost really wanted us to have what they left as a legacy. Do you remember Grumpy? He was so very keen to encourage new modders and for them to use his work. I always feel pleased for him whenever I see someone has built on what he left. He'd have been delighted. He so wanted to share.

2 hours ago, zixi said:

The ancient Egyptians had a belief like that which is one of the reasons they erased some people's names - so they couldn't be remembered and spoken aloud again. Some of the modders we've lost really wanted us to have what they left as a legacy. Do you remember Grumpy? He was so very keen to encourage new modders and for them to use his work. I always feel pleased for him whenever I see someone has built on what he left. He'd have been delighted. He so wanted to share.

If you mean do I remember his instruction manual for learning to mod a cavern or a house in Morrowind.  That I do.  His wording in the newbs instructions reminded me of another friend I knew.

Posted (edited)

@Pagafyr , Grumpy also wrote what's pretty much become the standard in Morrowind companion scripts. It's been used in countless mods, including one of mine, since as a base for companions. If I'm not mistaken, Emma --creator of The White Wolf of the Lokken Mountain mod-- used it as well. He and her were somewhat close from what I understand. I wasn't on the scene when he was active, unfortunately.

Edited by UsernameWithA9
1st Edit: Forgot to mention you, Pagafyr. 2nd Edit: Added links

Thx for giving attention to Emma and Grumpy!

They deserve all video game players attention for much more than Morrowind mods.  Especially for bringing attention to family life into the game.

23 minutes ago, Pagafyr said:

Thx for giving attention to Emma and Grumpy!

Sure, no problem. I wasn't sure if you knew so just thought I'd put it out there. I also went back and added relevant linkage to my previous post for posterity.

It is interesting how my grief relief page for 5746's passing got focused on Grumpy's Morrowind Mods Official Websites...

I'm done grieving.  Happy Trails to all who travel videoland on Nexusmods dot com!

• 3 weeks later...

The Summer days already remind me of how like a child I am still.  I want to roam about untethered again.  Away from the watchful eyes of the parents, sisters, and brothers watching over me.  A time or two I actually escaped from the powerful sense of being kept in eye sight by family, and began a journey when I was almost six that felt different.

There were no prickling neck hairs from strangers or beasts that might prey on a child, no tense sense of knowing any moment I was going to hear the shout to get back in the yard.

While pondering that freedom I again saw what made me realize how the stages of growing up are.  They are like a story which pauses just long enough to turn to the next page.  At one such memory moment I began remembering there were sounds of excitement in the air as one page might seem turned.

Eww!  Did you burp the baby?  What a mess!  Spackles of bright red spaghetti sauce and bits of beef adorned the space the baby's aim gave the new colors to.  As I watched I remembered the sense of bobbing up and down, not fully comprehending Mom's reason before.

I was reminded by sightings of such wondrous colors that baby needs tending to after being fed.  Even refined baby food is a danger if the patting on the back to raise the inner gases above the tank filled with food isn't done immediately after lifting them up from the table.

I found myself standing behind the one who picked up the baby as the person started bobbing the baby up and down, while patting them on the back.  The face the baby made looked so cute I began giving the baby a look and talking baby talk with it since I still rmembered baby talk.
I remember seeing the cute face the baby made while letting out a sigh.

I was admiring the baby when the child's mouth changed from a sweet sort of smiling way to a round capital O and the volcanic blast sent the contents of the baby's stomach all over me on my birthday.  All over my Sunday suit and tie.  I learned to be quick from that day on.

What I heard next was, "The baby definitely isn't ready for solid food yet mom".

I learned the hard way about burping the baby immediately after meals at the moment they are lifted out of their seat, is a required habit.  Next and most important is; "Be attentive to the direction the baby is facing while their chin is propped on Mom's shoulder."

Thanks to several speckles of red and bits of what looked like beef I remembered that birthday when I didn't enjoy my birthday party as much because my hair, face, my Sunday going to meetings suit didn't have todays modern repellent so it can be cleaned instantly with a wet wipe, and all I would have had to do today is wipe my face and use the sinks shower wand to rinse out my hair.  Not back then!  No such easy solutions when I was a child.

My vision has need of magnifiers these days.  I also us the web browsers Zoom In and Out function too. 

I remembered that awful day because; Before getting my visual focus I have seen the spoiling colors so often recently.  Yes and they are there now whenever I open the forums pages.  I am sure my memory was stirred recalling my past.  It was like seeing those blurred identical images through my tears.  So many times when I look in at the forums seeing the blurs helped me recall, what the last baby mom had, and I shared on my birthday when I turned six years old.  I felt a little bit of upset, and I just couldn't put my finger on it.  Until I recalled the picture that was taken of me as I stood there crying while everyone else in the room was laughing.

I am writing about it, because I learned if I do that I won't forget the moment.  And if I die and if we repeat all we forgot because we forget, my birthday that day wont be repeated with a bunch of tomato sauce and bits of beef being where they ended up as a reminder when I turned six.  That time we had eaten at a restaurant called, "The Top Hat".

• Like 1