Seemingly Broke My Load Order

Mackintoke

Yo, I messed up my mod load order for New Vegas in Mod Organizer 2 and now things are acting weird. Moved a few things around, got error messages in main menu, then used LOOT and now it's all weird. Skybox keeps changing (clouds will disappear), companions getting stuck in the ground (in non-modded game areas) random NCR trooper showing up to help me (I never even used the NCR Radio) and crashes. I used my computer's system restore, went back a few days before I made changes to my mod load order. But that did nothing. I'm guessing mod load orders are documents. System restore does not mess with documents, right? I'm using Mod Organizer 2. I have a copy of my modded Fallout New Vegas game setup and mod organizer setup on my second computer. This copy has my original setup, before I messed things up in the load order. Do I just delete everything and uninstall new vegas on new computer, then transfer over everything from old computer? Or is there a simpler method? Can I just transfer over the mod setup files in the "documents" folder from my old computer?

NOTE: I also did this change to my FalloutCustom.ini file to increase LOD distance.

[TerrainManager]
; Increases the maximum distance of LOD
fBlockLoadDistanceLow=100000
fBlockLoadDistance=250000

[SpeedTree]
; Makes flora use the highest LOD quality, removing the pop-in (not related to Tree LOD)
bForceFullLOD=1

This was done before I messed around with my mod load order. Does this have an effect on the skybox?

Edited by Mackintoke

Posted (edited)

I just thought of something. Copy and paste the mod load order and mod list files from my old computer. So I did that. doesn't seem to crash anymore. I ran around outer vegas for a long time. The sky box did abruptly change once though. Like all of a sudden the clouds disappeared, then slowly faded back in. Also some of my companions were still stuck, but after going into a building and coming back out they were unstuck. Things seem to be back to normal. I still dunno how that random NCR Ranger joined up with me but I like her now, I don't feel like reverting to earlier save games so I'll keep her around.

Has anyone heard of this skybox glitch? The way the skybox changes all the clouds will vanish for a bit, then several seconds later they fade back in at different positions I think. This glitch could be related to those ini settings I changed:                                                                                  

[TerrainManager]

It was only after making these changes that this skybox glitch started happening. It's happened twice now, once at night and once during the day.

I really like these ini settings for cranking the view distance way further. Before I did these changes, sometimes the road textures in Vegas would load up all blurry. With these settings I've noticed detail across the board has been increased. It looks pretty good, except for a few distant LOD things like mountains not quite being accurate to their close ups. Like a large hill in the distance will be a bit to the left of the real hill that you see when you get close enough. I only have a basic LOD file I downloaded a while back, Vanilla LOD it's called. I also have this: Impostors and LOD Flicker Fix at Fallout New Vegas - mods and community (nexusmods.com)

One of these days I'll get around to generating my own LOD file. I tried once on my old computer but it took like 5 hours and then it crashed or something.

Edited by Mackintoke

Yah, it's a good idea to keep backups of your load order .txt files, for when you're making changes.  MO2 even has buttons for it in both the left and right panes:

Screenshot_2024-08-08_15-00-46.png.55a9369685bb8789c7dbf4a136a86b89.png

The arrow is Restore Backup... (which opens a list of your saved backups to choose from), and the arrow-to-a-disk-drive is Create Backup.

Edited by AaronOfMpls
I accidentally a word

Posted (edited)

Mod load order and list. Odd thing is I haven't added ANY mods that affect the skybox/weather, so I have no idea why this crap is happening. Well I have one idea: 

This glitch could be related to those ini settings I changed:                                                                                  

[TerrainManager]

It was only after making these changes that this skybox glitch (and giant sun) started happening.

loadorder.txt modlist.txt

Edited by Mackintoke

Posted (edited)

I reverted those .ini file changes back to default and the skybox bug still persists. I disabled mods one after the other process of elimination style and still the skybug persists. Researched a bit and found that some guys playing on Xbox experience something similar. Some clouds will all of a sudden turn red.

It's basically a quick reset of the skybox. The current cloud patterns disappear and are replaced with a new pattern, with some of the new clouds being tinted red initially, before fading back into white. This "switch" happens only occasionally. From my last save I ran from the entrance of the killer plant vault all the way past the westside vegas area and that is when the switch occurred. I kept running past west side to east, then down past camp mcarran. Sky was fine, did not switch. Then I used the wait function and waited for 24 hours. The sky switched again.

All in all, not a game breaking bug, and not a complete immersion breaking bug. I dunno where this came from though, in my 800 hour play thru with 200+ mods I've never noticed this before.

tl;dr bug is the clouds all disappearing and being replaced, the sun also seems to get a LOT brighter, and thus bigger. Skybox during the day does an odd "reset," like a switch was flipped.

Edited by Mackintoke

Posted (edited)

Oh dayum, I just saw my whole sky box change again. This time the clouds turned green. And the sun does seem bigger than it's supposed to be. Does anyone have any information on this bug?

EDIT: MODERATORS CAN DELETE THIS THREAD

Edited by Mackintoke

14 hours ago, Mackintoke said:

EDIT: MODERATORS CAN DELETE THIS THREAD

Solution was posted in this thread:

Edited by AaronOfMpls