Disable Land Vehicle Mouse Steering

chuckdm

Is there a way to do this?  I don't want to disable mouse aiming, only mouse steering (to steer exclusively with keyboard instead) and only for the new ground vehicles.  This would allow for strafing targets and generally be more stable than the mouse.

And of course, if not, could someone make a mod for it?  I suspect this will require SFSE, of which I know absolutely nothing.

Edited by chuckdm

59 minutes ago, HeyYou said:

I am not even sure the game will support looking in one direction, while driving in another....  could you do that from horseback??

In Skyrim?  Kinda.  You could use the opposite arrow key to the direction you were facing to cancel out the turn.  So for example if using a bow on a horse and you're shooting to the left, you could press forward and right (W and D) at the same time and your horse would continue to go straight ahead because your keyboard's right input cancelled out the mouse's left input.

That said, Starfield already has an Auto Recenter mod for flight.  I imagine whatever code is needed to enable that could also be used to decouple the mouse from steering a ground vehicle.

Honestly with the stock REV-8 this isn't even needed, but the REV-9 mod (which I already love) makes the rover so responsive that it's constantly swerving left and right even when my hand is totally off the mouse, due to the simple fact that terrain isn't flat.  I don't normally get motion sickness in games but this is pretty close.

12 hours ago, chuckdm said:

In Skyrim?  Kinda.  You could use the opposite arrow key to the direction you were facing to cancel out the turn.  So for example if using a bow on a horse and you're shooting to the left, you could press forward and right (W and D) at the same time and your horse would continue to go straight ahead because your keyboard's right input cancelled out the mouse's left input.

That said, Starfield already has an Auto Recenter mod for flight.  I imagine whatever code is needed to enable that could also be used to decouple the mouse from steering a ground vehicle.

Honestly with the stock REV-8 this isn't even needed, but the REV-9 mod (which I already love) makes the rover so responsive that it's constantly swerving left and right even when my hand is totally off the mouse, due to the simple fact that terrain isn't flat.  I don't normally get motion sickness in games but this is pretty close.

Ok, side question here.... 🙂 Does the buggy have any onboard storage????

4 hours ago, HeyYou said:

Ok, side question here.... 🙂 Does the buggy have any onboard storage????

Only if you use a mod (there are already some that add this - either to the vanilla rover or as a standalone rover).

6 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

Only if you use a mod (there are already some that add this - either to the vanilla rover or as a standalone rover).

Yep. Updated the game, all my mods that needed it, etc, and checked it out myself. I LIKE having the buggy, and, surprise, IT FLOATS as well! Now to check out the mods. 😄

12 hours ago, LarannKiar said:

I don't know if anyone has already mod such mod (Google search didn't list anything related to vehicle steering) but I made an SFSE plugin recently that turns off mouse steering.

Oh that's AWESOME!! 😄 Thank You!!!