Mysterious mod issue I need help with

Captainradish

I'm not at all new to mod issues. I'm running close to 500 Skyrim mods with no noticeable problems and my Starfield load order is relatively short. However, after the new update I'm having a mod issue and I cannot for the life of me figure out what it is. I'm stuck on the main menu when starting a new game. I know in F4 when it did that it usually meant a mod was making a reference to something that didn't exist and the game would get stuck trying to find that reference. The game is not *crashing,* so Trainwreck is no help here sadly. It doesn't catch any problems and is not outputting anything.

I'll post my load list in a moment, but I figured I'd go over my troubleshooting steps first:

I went through the disable half then the other steps. I WAS able to get the new game to start, but there's no logic with what is causing the hanging. I was never able to narrow it down to anything under about fifteen mods. If I turned any of these on it would hang. This tells me the underlying issue is probably a mod I still had turned on.

I purged all my mods, uninstalled the game, deleted the directory, and for good measure deleted all the .ini files and rebuild them using Bethini. Same thing, hang on main menu.

So now I'm hoping I can get some community input. Load list is here. LOOT gives no warnings or errors although I am well aware it's early in Starfield development and may not anyway. XEdit won't even load it in its entirety due to something about "flagged modules can't be masters of other modules in Starfield." I was never able to find out exactly what this is in reference to. And lastly I KNOW the two unofficial patches are a bit redundant. I have mods that require one of them and mods that require the other. Any help figuring out the issue would be GREATLY appreciated. I want to play and I'm getting bored and annoyed trying to figure the issue out.

Starfield.esm

BlueprintShips-Starfield.esm

OldMars.esm

Constellation.esm

SFBGS003.esm

SFBGS006.esm

SFBGS007.esm

SFBGS008.esm

*StarfieldCommunityPatch.esm
*unofficial starfield patch.esm
*sylvspoi.esm
*StarLuminous - Lighting Overhaul.esm
*settled systems outfit variety - new outfit varieties.esm
*AccessibleApparel.esm
*AccessibleApparelExtended.esm
*Aurie_BackgroundDialogueUnlocked.esm
*AccessibleApparelExtended-Spacesuits.esm
*AccessibleApparelExtended-AdditionalApparel.esm
*AccessibleApparelExtended-DynamicNaming.esm
*WeaponModFixes.esm
*WeaponBalanceRevised.esm
*AccurateADS.esm
*Starfield_Backpacks_Z.esm
*Starfield_Gadgets_Z.esm
*Adventurers_Clothing_Set.esm
*Alternate Vasco.esm
*AntiMaterielRifle.esm
*ShipBuilderCategories.esm
*TNShipModsAllInOne.esm
*The Eye Revised.esm
*GR_ShipExtention.esm
*OutpostResourceBot.esm
*OldAtlantis.esm
*PilotAssistantBot.esm
*Stairs-Neon.esm
*KWNewBooks.esm
*SKKFastStartNewGame.esm
*starborn suit overhaul.esm
*Armored Mercury Suit & Armored Explorer Suit.esm
*AvontechShipyards.esm
*BetterShipPartFlips.esm
*BSPF-TNShipModsAllInOne-Patch.esm
*stairs.esm
*Contextual Ammo for Starfield 1.1.esm
*RoyalSpaceMagic.esm
*StarbornPerkTree.esm
*MatilijasAerospace.esm
*BattensWrecks.esm
*Better Amelia Earhart.esm
*RotatedStructures.esm
*BetterShipPartSnaps.esm
*Buy Your Home Stuff.esm
*Constellation Shocktrooper Skins.esm
*dmLegendaryRecycler.esm
*Constellation UC Pilot Skins.esm
*weap_HVAP.esm
*Constellation UC Marine Skins.esm
*DenserVegetationGterra.esm
*grindlocations.esm
*DerreTech.esm
*Overseer_door.esm
*Easier Ship Building.esm
*Explorer Spacesuit Skins.esm
*Faction Outfit Variety - New Outfit Varieties.esm
*FireFlyEngine.esm
*Freestar Shocktrooper Skins.esm
*GC's_FireModeAddon.esm
*PlanetCreatureRuleGTerra.esm
*HigherDensityFaunaGTerra.esm
*ImmersiveLandingRamps.esm
*Inquisitor_RocketEngineer_Outfits.esm
*Locational Damage Overhaul - Headshot Instant Death.esm
*LootOptions.esm
*MQ204 - Choose your companionV2.esm
*Useful Brigs.esm
*PlaceDoorsYourself.esm
*Matilija PDY patch.esm
*MissionControl.esm
*ModularPeopleSystemLight.esm
*Non-Lethal Framework.esm
*NLF - Useful Brigs - Patch.esm
*NPC Sync Walk Speed.esm
*Nestor.esm
*Nomad_Spacesuit_Z.esm
*PIP.esm
*Pilgrimage.esm
*ProjectWarfare.esm
*Revelation.esm
*ReworkedspacebountiesV2.esm
*RotatedBays.esm
*SP2_AllCockpitsNavConsoles.esm
*SP2_ConstellationShipBuilderPalette.esm
*SeeYourselfSleep.esm
*Shades_Immersive_Looting.esm
*Shocktrooper Skins.esm
*SpaceshipLandingReloaded.esm
*SpacesuitHider.esm
*Starfield Extended - New Outfits.esm
*TNAidAndAmmoCrafting.esm
*TN_AIO_AvonTech.esm
*TN_AIO_Matilijas.esm
*TellMeYourName.esm
*UC Marine Skins.esm
*UC Pilot Spacesuit Skins.esm
*UC Surplus Expanded - Immersive.esm
*Unleveled Varuun Weapons.esm
*VTOLEngine.esm
*Vanguard_Armory.esm
*Vanguard_Armory-UC_Surplus_Expanded_Patch.esm
*Venworks-JunkRecycler.esm
*amazing_companion_tweaks_sp0ckrates.esm
*du_xfire.esm
*egtech-addspaceship.esm
*vendors sell faction gear.esm
*SFBGS004.esm

First, your initial load order is wrong.

It should be:

Starfield.esm
Constellation.esm [If you have this DLC]
OldMars.esm [If you have this DLC]
SFBGS007.esm
SFBGS008.esm
SFBGS006.esm
SFBGS003.esm
SFBGS004.esm
[Other Official Files TBD]
Unofficial Starfield Patch.esm OR StarfieldCommunityPatch.esm
[Everything else you have installed]

(from pinned topic Helpful Links, References, and News, Section 4 - Modding the Game:  Initial Load Order)

Second, you ahve both the Starfield Community Patch and the Unofficial Starfield Patch - if would be better to just choose one and go with that.

Finally, are you using any mods that were created prior to the release of the Starfield Creation Kit (on June 9) and which have never been updated using the CK?  If so, they can likely be the cause of issues, and your best bet is to just get rid of them (which, due to how data is baked into the save, would necessitate either rolling back to a save made before the removed mods were installed, or if one is not available, starting a new game).

53 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

First, your initial load order is wrong.

It should be:

Starfield.esm
Constellation.esm [If you have this DLC]
OldMars.esm [If you have this DLC]
SFBGS007.esm
SFBGS008.esm
SFBGS006.esm
SFBGS003.esm
SFBGS004.esm
[Other Official Files TBD]
Unofficial Starfield Patch.esm OR StarfieldCommunityPatch.esm
[Everything else you have installed]

(from pinned topic Helpful Links, References, and News, Section 4 - Modding the Game:  Initial Load Order)

Second, you ahve both the Starfield Community Patch and the Unofficial Starfield Patch - if would be better to just choose one and go with that.

Finally, are you using any mods that were created prior to the release of the Starfield Creation Kit (on June 9) and which have never been updated using the CK?  If so, they can likely be the cause of issues, and your best bet is to just get rid of them (which, due to how data is baked into the save, would necessitate either rolling back to a save made before the removed mods were installed, or if one is not available, starting a new game).

I'm blaming LOOT for the weird load order. It worked pretty well with Skyrim and F4 but it's not quite so refined for Starfield yet.

I *think* I've weeded out everything non-CK, but I'll take another look. It wouldn't terribly surprise me if I hadn't. The weird thing is my load order worked just fine about a month ago. *Shrug*

7 hours ago, Captainradish said:

I'm blaming LOOT for the weird load order. It worked pretty well with Skyrim and F4 but it's not quite so refined for Starfield yet.

I *think* I've weeded out everything non-CK, but I'll take another look. It wouldn't terribly surprise me if I hadn't. The weird thing is my load order worked just fine about a month ago. *Shrug*

Make sure you are using the latest version of LOOT - it has had several recent updates and should correctly be placing plugins now.  The last update was August 25:

LOOT v0.23.1
https://github.com/loot/loot/releases/tag/0.23.1
https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/439

CHANGELOG:
https://loot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/app/changelog.html

49 minutes ago, smr1957 said:

Make sure you are using the latest version of LOOT - it has had several recent updates and should correctly be placing plugins now.  The last update was August 25:

LOOT v0.23.1
https://github.com/loot/loot/releases/tag/0.23.1
https://www.nexusmods.com/site/mods/439

CHANGELOG:
https://loot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/app/changelog.html

Yep, that's what I've got. I keep it pretty well updated.

Just to pop this back up to the first page I figured I'd share what I found. I was finally able to get my load order back to working order but it did take a LOT of pruning. The curious thing is the majority of the mods that caused my game to not load seemed to be clothing level list mods. Curious.

EDIT: I'm going to compile a list as I have *absolutely* no idea what the common point is with all these. I also had one (Better Ship Part Flips) that worked until I updated it to the newest version. I'm highly confused.