BG3 Patch 7 New mod manager and the future of mods here in Nexus

FredKarrera

Well, Larian do it, they implemented his own mod manager and his ow mod toolkit, with this patch all my mods with _merged scripts don't work, only those who are replacers (loose files) seems to have no problem.

I'm not sure if it's worth it to convert my mods to new format and upload them there, so I want to know if somebody knows if in the near future, we still have the possibility to keep uploading mods here, like some information about an update for LSlib or something like that, I think that we need an independent platform like Nexus to prevent any kind of censorship or bad use of the modders work.

• Like 3

I am not a huge fan of Larian right now. I liked using Vortex. I didn't know that their stupid patch would mess everything up and boy did it ever. NOTHING WORKS. And I just started playing a new game with some awesome HoTD mods. Now my Aemond won't have a chance to destroy the Sword Coast and romance Lae'zel (who is also delightfully modded). Really hope there will be a patch because I don't want to use Larian's mod manager for all the reasons listed above... 

• Like 3

Look at Bethesda’s in game mod manager and terrible it is.  

• Like 2

I agree with you, I think this has been a very big mistake, the recently implemented mod system looks clearly worse, many people already had their mods installed and you can arrive with your system and take everything that was there this way , bad move larian
  • Like 1

This is an odd take to me. I understand why folks might be annoyed at having to change their existing modding flow; change is tricky sometimes, and comes with challenges during the transition. But *new* does not mean bad, just new. Larian has been both very up front about their plans (so this shouldn't come as a surprise), and very fanbase-friendly in involving the community in developing their mod support. The doom comparison to Bethesda doesn't hold up when you look at how Larian has approached this development.

I am personally very optimistic about the new tools. I think it's awesome that the company put time and resources into officially supporting mods. Give it some time for folks to start converting existing mods over to the new format, and give it some time to see what is possible with the new tools.

Larian also has said they aren't removing support for any existing scripting mods; they intend for folks to be able to keep using many of the favorite mods already out there, and that they are not trying to prevent anyone from using third party modding in any way. They have said you can still keep using nexus for mods if you want, they will just focus on officially supporting their own tools and system. Which makes sense! They have done this before with their Divinity Engine.

Of course Larian as a company cannot support or allow copyrighted material, or material that is "discriminatory, racist, obscene, libellous, offensive, or likely to adversely affect the reputation or goodwill of Larian Studios". That's completely reasonable and normal. Nexus mods has the same rules about what mods can be posted, just less oversight because of the volume they maintain.

TL;DR: Give it some time. New patches always break stuff, but updates will come. It's really great to see a company officially support modding.

• Like 8

I agree with Nimiar, I just think it's a little odd there was almost zero collaboration with more popular mods already released here. The mods that were initially available in the in-game mod manager on patch day were meme and joke mods, which is funny and almost fitting, but there are SO many popular mods that could've been preemptively added to give players something to play with while other lesser known mods have time to be updated or added to the in-game mod list.

I think we definitely have to be patient, but it's a little odd that there wasn't even a minor collaboration between already existing mods that people are obviously using and Larian's team. But i guess that's more of a personal gripe than anything all that serious to take note of. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Nimiar said:

This is an odd take to me. I understand why folks might be annoyed at having to change their existing modding flow; change is tricky sometimes, and comes with challenges during the transition. But *new* does not mean bad, just new. Larian has been both very up front about their plans (so this shouldn't come as a surprise), and very fanbase-friendly in involving the community in developing their mod support. The doom comparison to Bethesda doesn't hold up when you look at how Larian has approached this development.

I am personally very optimistic about the new tools. I think it's awesome that the company put time and resources into officially supporting mods. Give it some time for folks to start converting existing mods over to the new format, and give it some time to see what is possible with the new tools.

Larian also has said they aren't removing support for any existing scripting mods; they intend for folks to be able to keep using many of the favorite mods already out there, and that they are not trying to prevent anyone from using third party modding in any way. They have said you can still keep using nexus for mods if you want, they will just focus on officially supporting their own tools and system. Which makes sense! They have done this before with their Divinity Engine.

Of course Larian as a company cannot support or allow copyrighted material, or material that is "discriminatory, racist, obscene, libellous, offensive, or likely to adversely affect the reputation or goodwill of Larian Studios". That's completely reasonable and normal. Nexus mods has the same rules about what mods can be posted, just less oversight because of the volume they maintain.

TL;DR: Give it some time. New patches always break stuff, but updates will come. It's really great to see a company officially support modding.

Not a huge fan of censorship, my friend. I bought the game and I will use whatever mods I choose. I had no idea their mod manager would affect the way I use Vortex. I had no desire to use their in house mods. The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a choice. I tried using the 6.9 beta and for whatever reason, the game still won't load. I then tried loading my game with the 7 patch while deleting all the conflicting mods. Still doesn't want to work, so I have no idea what's going on. My only hope is that there will be some sort of hotfix that will allow me to go back to using Vortex.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1