BG3 Patch 7 New mod manager and the future of mods here in Nexus

FredKarrera

On 9/8/2024 at 10:54 PM, Zanderat said:

New Bitmap Image.png

Any update for an update to Vortex. I've tried everything else including the BG 3 Mod Manager available on Git hub and they ought to be ashamed to be calling that a mod manager. They have a lot of work on that thing before I would consider it a MM. It wouldn't even load my game. Not sure if it could find it or not even though they were both on the same drive with nothing but Steam and BG 3 MM. Now Vortex that's a Mod Manager.

• Like 2

The official mod system doesn't look half bad for casual players, but I suspect that, as with most simplified in-game modding interfaces, once something breaks or you start wanting more heavily-scripted mods, you come crawling back to the third-party mod managers.

That said, it's entirely possible to run official mods and unofficial mods side-by-side, as long as Nexus is able to keep things updated on their end. If I want a mod that's only available on Nexus, I'll download it through Vortex, and I want a mod that's only available on Larian's platform, I'll download it there.  If it's hosted in multiple locations, I'll pick whichever I trust the most--which right now is Nexus.  Ultimately it's the mod author's prerogative to publish their work wherever makes sense for them.

19 minutes ago, TheSpaceShuttleChallenger said:

The official mod system doesn't look half bad for casual players, but I suspect that, as with most simplified in-game modding interfaces, once something breaks or you start wanting more heavily-scripted mods, you come crawling back to the third-party mod managers.

That said, it's entirely possible to run official mods and unofficial mods side-by-side, as long as Nexus is able to keep things updated on their end. If I want a mod that's only available on Nexus, I'll download it through Vortex, and I want a mod that's only available on Larian's platform, I'll download it there.  If it's hosted in multiple locations, I'll pick whichever I trust the most--which right now is Nexus.  Ultimately it's the mod author's prerogative to publish their work wherever makes sense for them.

Things seem to be working fine alongside each other. There is no manual ordering mechanic inside of the ingame mod manager - their ordering is based on dependency data when the mod was uploaded through their toolset. Vortex now supports ordering of the mods that are added via the ingame manager, but we are yet to confirm if the game respects that order or whether it uses it's dependency data regardless. Mods from Nexus don't have such metadata and so manual ordering is all we've got to play with.

19 hours ago, KSchott95 said:

@Poizenbg3 Hala dışarıdan modlamaya izin veriyorlar. VORTEX'in 7. yama sonrasında BG3 ile çalışması için yeni bir yamaya ihtiyacı var. Bu büyük bir sorun değil. Modcular hala BG3 Toolkit dışında mod yapabilir, Nexus'a yükleyebilir ve Vortex BG3 7. Yama ile çalışacak şekilde yamandığında kullanılabilir. 

Unfortunately it's not what you said, bg3 mod manager and official mod client conflict, on top of that it doesn't work with script extender. I personally tested it, all my mods are compatible with patch 7, but I can't even enter my save file, I can enter when I delete the script extender, but this time the mods don't work. Also, when I downgraded and reinstalled patch 6, the same problem persisted.

Also, the issue is not nexus or any site but the conflict between external mods and the official mod system

• Like 1

The in-game mod manager is horrible and I wish I could disable it.  More than that though, I hate how all nexus mods are labeled as "Third Party Mods" and every time you load a save game it warns you about it.  So annoying.  That said, the update broke 2 mods out of my 100 so far, with the new mod manager disabling a couple that should still work.  It pretty much sucks.  But the grand majority of my current mods still work and I'm looking forward to additional evil playthroughs.