How do I make a main menu replacer?

RedHeadAngel

Keep in mind, Bethesda's Skyrim update(s) changed something in the menu display programming with either last year's big game update or the year before's.  Takes a bit of file tweaking on the user's part to get main menu replacers that were made using the old methods on older game versions (ie. older pre-version 1.6.640 (I think??) menu replacer mods), to display properly.  I have no idea if Fallout 4's menu programming was edited with its' game updates, but I would imagine probably it did.
Saw a guide somewhere on how to tweak it properly, can't remember where though...

Edited by SirCadsimar
stupid headphone wire got caught on the CAPS LOCK button lol
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, SirCadsimar said:

stupid headphone wire got caught on the CAPS LOCK button lol

Ah the memories. I used to use wired headphones, but my cats used to chomp the wires when they jiggled enticingly. After replacing my head phones over and over and over I eventually switched to Bluetooth wireless headphones. Oh my gosh life is so much better when not chained to the PC by a wire. I am actually grateful to my cats for forcing the change.

There are some incredible Bluetooth wireless headphones for under $40 which allow me to listen from almost anywhere in the house and have 18 to 40+ hour charges depending on the brand. I keep two headphones charged and swap them as needed. One of them even has noise cancelling which is kind of amazing (I can't even hear when someone is talking to me, and I can hear an audiobook even with a vacuum cleaner whaling at my feet). Though frankly the noise cancelling one is sort of dangerous because I can't hear what's going on around me, so I use that one with care. And the sound quality is amazing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Karna5 said:

Ah the memories. I used to use wired headphones, but my cats used to chomp the wires when they jiggled enticingly. After replacing my head phones over and over and over I eventually switched to Bluetooth wireless headphones. Oh my gosh life is so much better when not chained to the PC by a wire. I am actually grateful to my cats for forcing the change.

There are some incredible Bluetooth wireless headphones for under $40 which allow me to listen from almost anywhere in the house and have 18 to 40+ hour charges depending on the brand. I keep two headphones charged and swap them as needed. One of them even has noise cancelling which is kind of amazing (I can't even hear when someone is talking to me, and I can hear an audiobook even with a vacuum cleaner whaling at my feet). Though frankly the noise cancelling one is sort of dangerous because I can't hear what's going on around me, so I use that one with care. And the sound quality is amazing.

LOL silly kitties

5 hours ago, SirCadsimar said:

Keep in mind, Bethesda's Skyrim update(s) changed something in the menu display programming with either last year's big game update or the year before's.  Takes a bit of file tweaking on the user's part to get main menu replacers that were made using the old methods on older game versions (ie. older pre-version 1.6.640 (I think??) menu replacer mods), to display properly.  I have no idea if Fallout 4's menu programming was edited with its' game updates, but I would imagine probably it did.
Saw a guide somewhere on how to tweak it properly, can't remember where though...

Anyways, I found the link to the info I was looking for, it was actually right there on NexusMods which I thought it was (but didn't mention that part, wasn't exactly sure at the time, pretty sure I saw a few multiple sources when I had first researched this).
It was posted in 2021, very soon after the original AE game update which changed some programming on how the main menu is displayed.  Nearly 3 years ago, so not sure how accurate the method is... but here it is:
Make any start menu wallpaper replacer compatible with Skyrim AE: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/3610

Edited by SirCadsimar
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Karna5 said:

Sorry I haven't been commenting here for a bit. I was busy with my new blog on LoversLab.

My cat, Joakim, is smart enough not to mess with my headphones. Almost any other wire, however, is a different story.

As for the replacer, I'm still unclear on what to do. I installed the mod but have no idea where to go from there. I don't even know what I'm looking at or how to change it.

Edited by RedHeadAngel
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SirCadsimar said:

LOL silly kitties

Anyways, I found the link to the info I was looking for, it was actually right there on NexusMods which I thought it was (but didn't mention that part, wasn't exactly sure at the time, pretty sure I saw a few multiple sources when I had first researched this).
It was posted in 2021, very soon after the original AE game update which changed some programming on how the main menu is displayed.  Nearly 3 years ago, so not sure how accurate the method is... but here it is:
Make any start menu wallpaper replacer compatible with Skyrim AE: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/articles/3610

I play 1.5.97, which is SE. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that.

My general methodology, if I want to see how some mod does something, I may manually download it, unzip it and examine its contents first.   I might also actually install it as well.  I use Vortex so I can always 'Open mod folder' to see just the files belonging to the mod.   Next stage might be, examining mod's plugin in xEdit or CK. 

In case of main menu replacers (MMR), I can see they come in two flavors:  single independent ones, or collections intended to be used by "main menu randomizer." mod.  

16 hours ago, RedHeadAngel said:

I play 1.5.97, which is SE. I'm sorry that I forgot to mention that.

Ah, then you shouldn't have to worry too much about main menu replacer mods not displaying properly on your screen, I don't think.
Anyways, I am assuming you already saw the forum page on AFKMods that has instructions on how to make a MMR (Main Menu Replacer)?  It was the first search result that Google gave me when I typed in "Skyrim - how to create a main menu replacer".  I'm surprised (and disappointed) that there's not more sources that teach how to do this... https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/6100-how-to-create-a-new-main-menu/
Apparently you need a program that can export .SWF files.  Adobe Flash is dead and was replaced by Adobe Animate, which one has to pay for...
I checked the contents of a bunch of MMRs, none of them have .swf files, I am assuming .swf is only for animated visuals or something..?  The MMR mods that I did check were only a still image replacer, some with music replacer some not, .ddl and .nif file types but no ".swf".

Edited by SirCadsimar
moar
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, SirCadsimar said:

Ah, then you shouldn't have to worry too much about main menu replacer mods not displaying properly on your screen, I don't think.
Anyways, I am assuming you already saw the forum page on AFKMods that has instructions on how to make a MMR (Main Menu Replacer)?  It was the first search result that Google gave me when I typed in "Skyrim - how to create a main menu replacer".  I'm surprised (and disappointed) that there's not more sources that teach how to do this... https://www.afkmods.com/index.php?/topic/6100-how-to-create-a-new-main-menu/
Apparently you need a program that can export .SWF files.  Adobe Flash is dead and was replaced by Adobe Animate, which one has to pay for...
I checked the contents of a bunch of MMRs, none of them have .swf files, I am assuming .swf is only for animated visuals or something..?  The MMR mods that I did check were only a still image replacer, some with music replacer some not, .ddl and .nif file types but no ".swf".

I’m not planning on doing an animated replacer. I was just going to use one of my screenshots.

• Like 1