What is the Fallout power armour really made out of?

Qrsr

Im doing some research on how to create perfect and lore-wise, immersive crafting tables for power armor pieces, frames etc. Based on size, appearance, etc. So far i have alot of question marks on t op of my head since there is so many discrepancies all over the place, wiki, forums, discussions, etc.

To sum it up, some of the data i consider facts concerning the power armor plates of the following models:

T-45 power armor

• Introduced first in Fallout 3
  • Riveted steel plates (screws)
  • poor power efficiency, consumes more energy than any other PA
  • built-in ventilated power unit

Materials used: Steel, Screws

Materials in question: ?

T-51 power armor

• Introduced first in Fallout 1/2
  • most common power armour, as it replaced the T-45
  • plastic composite materials, since Oil is rare, alterantive PA variants was produced PostWar
  • poly-laminate composite
  • silver coated outer shell to reflect laser and other radiation emissions

Materials used: Adhesive, Plastic/Oil, Ceramic, Silver, Steel

Raider power armor

• Introduced first in Fallout 4
  • salvaged, restored, merged T-45 and T-51 models
  • rebuilt mostly using scrap metal
  • can't withstand as much punishment as most other varieties of power armor
  • probably less protective against energy weaponry

Materials used: Plastic/Oil, Screws, Steel

Materials in question: Adhesive, Ceramic, Silver

T-60 power armor

• Introduced first in Fallout 4
  • looks like a bulkier T-45 'make it look a bit more better'
  • Boston Commonwealth was probably the only place these suits were used
  • T-65 was a prototype, basically the T-60 but just bulked up even more and by extension offers more protection than the T-60

Materials used: ?

X-01 aka Advanced power armor aka APA

• Introduced first in Fallout 2
  • used exclusively by the Enclave in Fallout 2
  • can work as an Enclave diguise
  • only operated fully on the west coast
  • manufactured post war
  • majority of the data on how to construct X-01 was lost with the oil rig was destroyed
  • uses construction techniques that eclipse older models
  • filter is less integrated, and easier to swap
  • lightweight metal alloys
  • reinforced with ceramic castings at key points
  • motion-assist servo-motors to increase Strength (+4)
  • better for handling weapons
  • less durable than T-51, T-60
  • how on did they end up in Boston?

Materials used: Aluminum, Ceramic

X-02 aka Advanced power armor Mk II aka APA 2

• Introduced first in Fallout 2
  • Returns in Fallout 3 as standard power armor by Enclave soldiers
  • can work as an Enclave diguise
  • composed entirely of lightweight ceramic composites
  • no combination of metal and ceramic
  • providing more protection than advanced power armor
  • issued to Enclave members in Navarro
  • back-mounted power pack
  • no built-in ventilated power unit
  • how on did they end up in Boston?

Materials used: Ceramic

Ultracite power armor

• introduced first in Fallout 76
  • found in Appalachia
  • resembles a suit of T-51 power armor
  • made with Ultracite rather than poly-laminate composite

Materials used: Silver, Steel, Ultracite

Midwestern Brotherhood advanced power armor

• introduced first in Fallout Tactics
  • Similar to X-01 advanced power armor
  • composed of lightweight metal alloys
  • reinforced with ceramic castings at key points

Materials used: Aluminum, Ceramic, Titanium

Hellfire power armor

• introduced first in Fallout 3
  • Deployed by Enclave
  • Probably an advanced advanced power armor, using the data reaminings of the destroyed oil rig in Fallout 2
  • lore wise should have less DR than X-01
  • Specially designed to be resistant to the heat of flame weapons
  • allows maximum flexibility and resilience while incorporating advanced respiration masks to keep oxygen flowing in burning environments

Tesla power armor

• Introduced first in Fallout 1/2
  • Dispersing a large percentage of directed energy attacks through three Tesla attraction coil rods
  • Was first no power armor, lore was swapped in Fallout 3 to be a X-02 APA 2 mod
  • Last armor obtained by the Vault Dweller in the final battle against the Master

All of this was and is created to create a crafting table based on the base components in Fallout 4.

Interesting would be power supply (fusion core, micro battery, or else)

Speed, movement, training, etc.

Some power armor suffered from overheating issues in desert environment.

All PA would probably not withstand a single shot of a RPG ...  

which would not only penetrate the front of a power armor suit, but the human inside and blow out the back armor too

Any help is appreciated.

The data you share will be added to this post, use the data to your liking.

References:

1. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-Fallout-power-armour-made-out-of
  2. https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/494632768632302291
  3. https://www.quora.com/How-effective-would-power-armour-from-Fallout-be-in-a-modern-combat
  4. https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutlore/comments/n4hysc/what_are_the_strengths_and_weaknesses_of_each/
  5. https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Tesla_armor
  6. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_matrix_composite
  7. https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutlore/comments/1csmp9x/why_is_the_advanced_power_armor_mk_ii_in_fo4/
  8. https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/282992646985658624
  9. https://www.reddit.com/r/falloutlore/comments/p2luw0/is_there_any_lore_reference_for_how_heavy_a_full/

Disclosure:

I know a little bit about military systems and materials science.

-Since you are including some CC/modded based armor please consider including SE-01 as well.

It has interesting lore on how it was created, a just before the war skunkworks by a team of engineers and military men. the engineer left as project was near complete finished by a Sergeant (which is likely why the should loom so large).

It is craftable by design and all the components are listed when you craft them.  

This armor is an interest of mine because he animations are so good and the helmet looks so realistic. Like many armors ( except the t51 and X-01) the helmet is too long though, to allow suffiecient field of view for a man wearing it.

The eye openings with nearly all PAs would be likelooking thru two tubes of toilet paper rolls attached to your eyes. So completely unstuitable for tactical operations. Therefore I believe for any of this to be real most PA helmets must be equipped with small TV screens in front of the eyes fed by those viewports and/or by holographic projection in front of the eye.

The SE-01 is one of the few PAs that look polished and modern enough to feature such a system

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/66456

-Also I do not believe any PA could be made entirely w/o steel. Ceramic may be very hard but its also very  brittle. You need the ductility and malleability of a metal such as steel to create any moving piece of engineering.

Modern tanks, with which I have a passing familiarity, use combinations of ceramic, steel, spacing and depleted uranium for their armors. Former Soviet systems also added a degree of lead lining (despite lead being soft and heavy and so making poor armor for the weight, but the trade off was improved rad protection which was worth it to them)

1 hour ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

-Also I do not believe any PA could be made entirely w/o steel. Ceramic may be very hard but its also very  brittle. You need the ductility and malleability of a metal such as steel to create any moving piece of engineering.

Its technically an umbrella term:

Ceramic material is an inorganic, metallic oxide, nitride, or carbide material

But yeah, its weird. Considering the fact the PostWar less almost no Oil was present, how you create a the backup layer without using Plastics?

ductile backing or support layer of metal or fiber reinforced plastic composite materials

Since its no a carbon fiber what else would be used then? Metal wasnt used for the X02, so it must be plastic, which does not make sense at least without an Oil Rig ... but its hard to get serious fallout lore based knowledge about the creation of X02 or else. Which would be much appreciated for Fo4 and else. ..

Reference:

2 hours ago, 363rdChemicalCompany said:

The eye openings with nearly all PAs would be likelooking thru two tubes of toilet paper rolls attached to your eyes. So completely unstuitable for tactical operations. Therefore I believe for any of this to be real most PA helmets must be equipped with small TV screens in front of the eyes fed by those viewports and/or by holographic projection in front of the eye.

I think the best armor concerning this is a vanilla armor called Raider Power Armor ... see for yourself:

unknown.png

2 hours ago, Qrsr said:

Its technically an umbrella term:

But yeah, its weird. Considering the fact the PostWar less almost no Oil was present, how you create a the backup layer without using Plastics?

Since its no a carbon fiber what else would be used then? Metal wasnt used for the X02, so it must be plastic, which does not make sense at least without an Oil Rig ... but its hard to get serious fallout lore based knowledge about the creation of X02 or else. Which would be much appreciated for Fo4 and else. ..

Reference:

There are different types of plastics. For example, various propylenes and polyethylenes do not have hydrocarbon preferences. The raw material can be natural gas. There are much more deposits of gases and their condensates than oil. Almost all plastic parts of cars are polypropylene. Polypropylene is the most corrosion-resistant plastic and the most heat-resistant.Plastics can also be reinforced. Glass fiber reinforced polypropylene is widely used in plumbing. In the aviation industry, polypropylene reinforced even with aramid fiber (such as Kevlar, etc.) is used.

Edited by South8028
  • Like 1

fo4 needs a fantastic hyperalloy. The steel that exists in fo4 is many times greater than any steel that exists in our world. A paratrooper in power armor must hold a shot from a cheap 12.7 mm anti-tank rifle. Otherwise, the power armor manufacturer will go bankrupt. The Chinese will immediately make millions of cheap PTRD clones and will hunt for power armor in platoons. Considering the lore... The reason for the appearance of power armor... These are the battles of 2066 in Alaska. Power armor was not designed to survive the post-apocalypse. The armor was the equipment of a US infantryman. The base should be a fantastic lightweight super steel. This is obvious against the backdrop of simple statistics... Most armored vehicles weighing less than 7 tons are in 70% of cases unable to withstand an armor-piercing bullet of 7.62x54mm caliber. Power armor can't weigh very much. The armor is relatively light.

Edited by South8028
  • Like 1

Yeah 12,7 would probably pierce too. No matter the fact fixing all of that s#*! is not pretty difficult once research is done.

9 minutes ago, Qrsr said:

Yeah 12,7 would probably pierce too. No matter the fact fixing all of that s#*! is not pretty difficult once research is done.

fo4 is not science fiction. The concept of power armor in reality is most likely adead end and unprofitable. But in the game it doesn't matter. Ultra-light super-alloys, nuclear super-batteries and super-drives of super-exoskeletons can easily exist in the game. Therefore, power armor in fo4 can easily withstand a hit from a 12.7 mm PTRD. When the Chinese encountered power armor in Alaska, they were unable to counter it. Such a lore.

Just now, Qrsr said:

Fo4 is not Fo1 and Fo2 true.

I didn't play the first fallout. I don't know what kind of armor is there. I only played fo3 and fo4. I love the exoskeleton in Edge of Tomorrow. 🙂 This exoskeleton is more realistic. The concepts of increased mobility, strength, built-in heavy weapons seem more realistic to me than the concept of walking armor. But the model is difficult to make, because I did not find good sources...