War of the Worlds

Stampede

While I have yet to read the book (you cannot find a copy here, so I am having to order it) I am a great fan of War of the Worlds.

So I was genuinely excited when I heard of the new movie. As many of you know, or should know, there was a War of the Worlds movie back in the 50's. While it is/was a great movie in itself with incredible special effects, it was heavily Hollywooded and bore little resemblance to the book, other than the fact that martians came and reamed our butts.

There was also a T.V series. Let us never speak of it again.

I am VERY disappointed however that Speilburg has basically remade the movie, instead of doing a more true adaption of this classic novel. Fair enough, I am very pleased that he has included the "Fighting Machines" (Massive 3 legged robots that the martians house themselves in), he has set it in modern day America...and who the hell is that little girl supposed to be?

The original novel was set in old England, around the 1900s I think. Mankind was utterly helpless (as they seem to be in this new film, but I swear if they give the martians "shields" I will puke up my Slush Puppy)

It would have been awesome to see a recreated historical London fighting off clanking giant tripods, I suppose I will have to be happy with what I get though.

Thanks, but nah, I collect books anyway and enjoy sitting down somewhere and reading them. Reading it off of my pc would just take something away from the experience.

I am pretty certain it will be a good movie. On a visual level if nothing else. However Speilburg has failed horribly before (see: Hook)

I am just disappointed that yet again, with all the technology available, they could still not do a more accurate adaption of the novel.

I think it had more to do with the fact that Spielberg is trying to make it a contemporary film that will sell to Americans, rather than a remake of the book. Isn't it War of the Worlds, a.k.a. Independence Day?

i think that the film has to have mass appeal rather than actual facts and stickng to the book. dont know if anyone saw "a series of unfortunate events", but that stuck to the book very well, and the actors actually cared about the parts that they are playing. plz no-one post the films conclusion, as i am booked to see it on this saturday with my mates.

i have seen no trailers, and ihavent seen the film or read the book, but i have heard about when it was put on the radio, with proper presenters, and there was mass panic when people thought it was for real (correct me if i am wrong - my dad told me about it)

why cant movie directors go for a good film, maybe low budget, but overall a good representation of the book, based in a 1900's london, rather than going for a cr** film with high value stars made for mass appeal?

Your dad is right on the money nickleback. To this day, there are some that believe we were indeed invaded by the martians, such is the impact this book had.

And yeah Dark0ne, Independence Day borrowed from quite a few flicks. The gigantic saucers above earths capitals? HELLO? Ever watch V?

The 'clever' reworking of the virus in Independence was a definite homage.

Archived