TES VI

Lehcar

Where, where, where will it be set?

The only provinces not used yet are Blackmarsh, Elsweyr, Valenwood, and Summerset Isles

I really, really hope for either Blackmarsh, becasue it just sounds so awesome, or Sumemrset Isles, because High Elves are so great and mighty (it also seems like a most likely setting for a major event occuring, with the Thalmor now having risen to power and all).

Edited by Lehcar

I guess I'm hoping for either Elsweyr or Summerset Isles.

The Summerset Isles are probably pretty sweet, seems like there would be a lot of power there with the Altmer and their strong magical attunement. If it is there and they name it by province, it may be better if they name the game Elder Scrolls VI: Alinor instead, as thats another name for Summerset Isles. Kinda sounds better in my opinion.

Elsweyr would be interesting because they would have to introduce all of the different types of Khajiit. There are some Khajiit that even look almost like ordinary elves from a distance. Could make some very interesting choices in race, and we could see their cultrual differences as well. Not to mention all the bizarre and dangerous creatures that inhabit the province.

Even better, why not put two adjoining provinces into one game? Like Elsweyr and Valenwood for example?

Elsweyr plus Valenwood = win.

We've got a very long thread (series of, actually) on the Bethesda Forums about this... But i'll put my arguments here to spread the reasoning.

Absolute NO to a multiple province game. Why? Because there's no real reason, and it serves to hurt alot of the games aspects.

A; Theme. The provinces are vastly different, even Elsweyr and Valenwood. It would be near impossible to unify them through theme the way we've had in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. All three games focused on something deeply related to that provinces culture and history, and you can't do that with 2 radically different groups.

B; Scale. People have said (elsewhere) that you can make a bigger game with more varied environments if you take 2 provinces. That's only partially true. Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim have all represented scaled down versions of their provinces, and that scaling has been different in each game. If you were to change the scaling of, say, Elsweyr (one of the smallest provinces) to 1:1, it would still be almost 500km east to west, and almost twice that north to south. Within Elsweyr, you have deserts, jungles, canyons, mountains, forests, Rimmen (an ongoing Dragon-break) and, of course, a Mediterranean-like coast. All the size and diversity exists in a single province, without the need to dilute it.

C; Culture. This is more a problem with Bethesda than anything. Since Morrowind, they've struggled to create and interesting world. Oblivion was the rock bottom, stripping the Imperials of absolutely everything that made them interesting and turning them into the god-awful piss-pots we saw. Skyrim made some headway, but sill lacked a lot of the character of the Nords as portrayed in the literature. Don't even get me started on what Zenimax did to the Altmer. If Bethesda struggles to represent a single culture in game, asking for two is like demanding disappointment.

Don't get me wrong, i would love to see two, three, or even all of the provinces. But it's unreasonable, and not necessary.

there is no reason not to revisit the older settings lfrom morrowind or oblivion

i wouldn't mind another rpic adventure around the imperial province still is a pretty large place and its been more than 200 years since we had a chance to explore it

Edited by kleinstaff

there is no reason not to revisit the older settings lfrom morrowind or oblivion

i wouldn't mind another rpic adventure around the imperial province still is a pretty large place and its been more than 200 years since we had a chance to explore it

I disagree. There is a reason, and that reason is; There's still more to see! There's also the point about it stifling creativity, since all the art designs have been done, and anything would just be little more than a graphics update (wonderful though Dragonborn was).

There's also Exploration, since you've already been all over said older setting... but then again, it is 200 years later, so a good deal COULD change, rendering that point rather moot.

I disagree. There is a reason, and that reason is; There's still more to see! There's also the point about it stifling creativity, since all the art designs have been done, and anything would just be little more than a graphics update (wonderful though Dragonborn was).

There's also Exploration, since you've already been all over said older setting... but then again, it is 200 years later, so a good deal COULD change, rendering that point rather moot.

i understand your point but talking about creativity doesn't mean the game itself creativity in these games also include the story lines and the background settings

also I am one of those person who would love to see a republished oblivion xith rg skyrim engine and graphics or even a morrowind

and so much was unexplored in oblivion that in my opion a new epic adventure 300 years later in the imperial provinces could be done

but it all depends on the story they come up with at bethesda

I dont think combining two provinces into a game is a good idea, namely because to cover that scale you need to remove alot of the detail and mechanics.
Remember games are EXTREMELY hard to make, animating, texturing, voice acting, the coding not to mention all the bureaucratic crap Beth has to work through (release dates, marketing and PR, not to mention funding)
So two provinces that are the same level of detail as skyrim would be almost impossible; without like Lachdonin said, diluting the game.
Summerset isles would be fun to go to, fits with the theme of skyrim as well, its also a non-human area so it would be really alien to explore (much like morrowind was).
Contrasting the isles with skyrim it would be a refreshing place to go to.
plus its MUCH smaller than skyrim geographically and if Im not mistaken surrounded by ocean, so this leaves room for the possibility of ship based gameplay at different points, and a much more detailed world to explore.

They could really do alot with the story as well, Skyrim was very much based around racism (elves and humans, nords and imperials, dragons and mortals) they could further that theme with the elves mistreating humans who were maybe living in Alinor before the great war (or maybe during the second one? as its very likely we'll be thrust into the second great war during the games intro).
Like you could start out as a prisoner in some kind of Thalmor concentration camp? and the tutorial is based around an escape attempt?
Could kinda be allegorical to the second world war or apartheid even.
But regardless, we have fallout 4 to look forward to :D