Pay Equity, The other "women's Issue"

colourwheel

:D Devils advocate time.

Ok, so, you negotiated your own salary. So, that makes it YOUR fault you settled for less that what a man would be paid. :)

A lot of the jobs I have interviewed for, didn't negotiate at all, they simply stated what they were willing to pay, and I could take it, or leave it. Be glad you had the option to negotiate.

A lot of the criteria that 'qualifications' are based on are so subjective, as to be unquatifiable. Implementing this type of legislation would help one class of people, and one class only. Lawyers.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so, you negotiated your own salary. So, that makes it YOUR fault you settled for less that what a man would be paid. :smile:

When your fresh out of college no one has much room to negotiate their pay especially at an entry level. The only logical reason why i was paid less than my fellow male school colleague was because of complete sexist reasons.... which is completely in the past now....

Realistically you only get an opportunity to negotiate on salary once there is an actual precedent to evaluate on....

Believe me, I make more a year than most of the people who do the same type of job in my field and with more beneficial accommodations as of this point in my life. That is if you are playing devils advocate "trying" to degrade me putting to test claiming on my personal experiences....

A lot of the criteria that 'qualifications' are based on are so subjective, as to be unquatifiable. Implementing this type of legislation would help one class of people, and one class only. Lawyers.

Only until the tables are reversed were as females make more than men and at the current trend according to the statistics DONKENFAP has posted in this thread. I can guarantee once males make only $.77 to the dollar females make, there will be a push for this type of legislation by men.... sorry for being so sexist...

Edited by colourwheel

Women don't enter high-paying job fields by choice as much as men. They stick to healthcare, teaching, and services. Just look at a college engineering class, it's all dudes. Hard sciences, also all dudes. Law school is evenly split, but women tend to take hazy subjects like family law and human rights law (and then end up with 6 figure debts, working pro bono)

Also, men are more likely to take up work positions in far away, undesirable, spartan environments. I'm a private contractor and my job has taken me to Afghanistan, Singapore, Alaska, North Dakota, UAE, Italy and London (which is the worst). Women just aren't prepared to move away from home and friends, for an extended period of time. Men work tougher shifts, and don't mind working weekends or holidays, a pre-requisite for any high paying career.

Read/skim this department of labor study analysing the causes of wage differences:

http://www.consad.com/content/reports/Gender%20Wage%20Gap%20Final%20Report.pdf

"This study leads to the unambiguous conclusion that the differences in the compensation of men and women are the result of a multitude of factors and that the raw wage gap should not be used as the basis to justify corrective action. Indeed, there may be nothing to correct. The differences in raw wages may be almost entirely the result of the individual choices being made by both male and female workers."

B-b-but the PATRIARCHY and bigoted RETHUGLICANS.

Women don't enter high-paying job fields by choice as much as men. They stick to healthcare, teaching, and services. Just look at a college engineering class, it's all dudes. Hard sciences, also all dudes. Law school is evenly split, but women tend to take hazy subjects like family law and human rights law (and then end up with 6 figure debts, working pro bono)

Despite this claim even in these field you have suggested women are still being paid less than men.... Just so you know, I have a masters in electronics engineering as well as a degree in computer science and software development. Even I have been discriminated in the field in a sexist manner some which have led to lawsuits... then you wonder why women tend to evade these areas....

In regards to the CONSAD link....

I just wanted to put this out there the often cited 25% gender wage gap statistic. It's often stated as "women get paid 25% less for doing the exact same work." Virtually every study that claims to show that never compares men and women doing the same work.

In short, after taking all the variables into account, CONSAD came up with a wage disparity of 4.1 - 7.8%. It's probably the most exhaustive study ever done on the wage gap.

Edited by colourwheel

Despite this claim even in these field you have suggested women are still being paid less than men.... Just so you know.

Yeah, umm, this isn't true. Women, who make the same career choices as men, earn...the same amount as men.

The 75c figure compares overall workforce pay between men and women, who have the same credentials. It doesn't refer to men and women working in the same career paths, just overall workforce pay differences. Overall, women with similar credentials, make life choices that lead them to earn less e.g. Specialization, travel, danger, time, workload, plus other motivators that de prioritize financial concerns.

Despite this claim even in these field you have suggested women are still being paid less than men.... Just so you know.

Yeah, umm, this isn't true.

Whether you believe this is true are not I am a living example that proves it's the truth according to my own past experiences...

Edited by colourwheel

when negotiating on salary it boils down to what one was last paid and nothing to do with how much more qualified than someone else is.... Believe me I have had to negotiate many times when being hired in the past.

This fairy tale makes no sense at all. When you sit down with a potential employer to be interviewed and perhaps hired you have no idea what the other employees are earning. How could you, as the potential employee, possibly negotiate equal pay if you have no knowledge of what other people are earning? You claim to have done this "many times", so how did you know how much the other employees were getting and, therefore, know how much to ask for? If an equal pay law were passed how would one even know that they should make a pay inequity complaint without somehow allowing them to know what other employees are earning, and thus violating their privacy?

When negotiating any sort of trade at all the bottom line is what is the seller willing to sell for, and how much is the buyer willing to pay. That how the value of all things are determined. If you are applying for a job you are selling yourself. Your value is determined by a combination of how much you are willing to sell yourself for and how much the employer is willing to pay for you.

Edited by TRoaches

@Troaches

You obviously do not understand how negotiating for a salary works if you think it's "fairy tale". In negotiating for salary one must start at a base line which usually boils down to what one was last paid in a specific career. One is not going to accept being paid any less than their last job after they have already been chosen for consideration in a continuing career unless they are extremely desperate.... This being said women usually have less to negotiate when the premise has been women are started off at lower pay then men at an entry level. This leads to an on going disparity of pay for women when continuing in the same field over their male counter parts.

Edited by colourwheel

I personally haven't been putting and huge slant on this issue when I post. Yet I have linked many post that discuss many issues why there is a pay difference in starting salaries in professionals (like the one I liked about the physicians) that note even after they factor out many things there is still an underlying difference in payscale for these professionals starting out in their fields that have equal education and credentials. Perhaps the divide is not as extreme as a 77 to 100 gap but there is one there that I do not see explained away with all the other factors.

Personally as a regular person who is posting in this thread I believe we have reached a place here where this thread can go no further.

@Colour I think that all sides have stated their case and provided what evidence that they might. It is just going around in circles at this point with everyone repeating themselves. Once this happens I find that the thread usually begins to degrade. Might want to wrap this one up.