Rookie question about a Mod

Z7Sakari

I installed the RD Natural Weather Unoffical Test Fix by Ryu Doppler but it does not seem to work. It says the following to install: "If you choose from the Simplified Weather ESP folder, the ESP will not overwrite the Original ESP. So you'll need to disable the old, and enable the new in the mod-list."

I do not know how to disable the original ESP that he is speaking of, unless he meant the Natural Weather from Max Tael's Natural Environments which is the original version of this Mod that Ryu then improved upon. I am running Oblivion Mod Manager and compressed the Simplified Natural Weather mod which seemed like the best one, or was I wrong in this?. I disabled the older version by Max Tael, but the Ryu version does not seem to make any changes at all.

Additionally, OBMM warned me against only deactivating the weather aspects of the Max version while leaving the water, vegetation, and habitat portions of it active. Is this a valid concern or is OBMM just being over-protective? If it is something I should avoid, does anyone know of another good that I could replace the portion of Max Tael's water, vegetation, and habitat mod with?

Thanks so much for your help,

~Sakari

Oblivion Mod Manager has it's limitations. In this case where the Ryu mod asks you to deactivate the Max Tael version ESP and activate his Simplified version you can't use OBMM to do it. When you deactivate the Max Tael version in OBMM it uninstalls it, so then when you activate the Ryu Simplified version ESP it doesn't have the resource files it requires (which all come with the Max Tael version).

What you'll need to do is reactivate (install) the Max Tael version using OBMM. Then open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folder you downloaded Ryu's mod. If you haven't already done so, extract the Ryu mod to the same folder you downloaded to (I always download to a folder I create specifically for that mod in my Oblivion_Downloads folder ... so even this test download is in Oblivion_Downloads\Natural_Weather_Unofficial_Test_Fix). You'll see the folders Ryu talks about in the mod description install instructions. You will want either the Shivering Isles (SI) version or no SI version (all non-SI versions are in subfolders off the Non-SI-Test folder) depending on if you have SI installed.

I'll assume you do have SI ... next select whether you want the color corrected version or non-color corrected version. I'll assume you want the color corrected ... inside the Simplified Weather ESP folder you'll see a subfolder RD Color Corrected. Inside that folder you'll see four files, one for each supported version of the Max Tael version (regular, with HDR, with HDR and darker nights and with darker nights only). Select the appropriate one and right mouse click on it and from the right click menu select Copy. Now navigate to your game's install folder (hopefully not in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86) if you use Vista, Win7 or Win8) ... for example C:\Games\Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion. In your Bethesda Softworks\Oblivion folder you'll find a subfolder Data. Right click on Data and select Paste.

Next to deactivate the old Max Tael version ESP you'll use the vanilla game launcher Data Files. If you have modified your desktop shortcut to start the game with Oblivion Script Extender (OBSE) (for the disk versions of the game) you'll access the vanilla launcher using either an unmodified desktop shortcut or like I do using the shortcut found off the Windows Start button menu. I don't have the Steam version so I can't say how you access the vanilla game launcher using Steam. Don't use OBMM's launcher ... you want to get to the initial game launch dialogue and select Data Files (right below Play). That will bring up a dialogue with all your installed mods shown in an alphabetical list. Scroll down to the Max Tael version ESP (whatever it's named) and double click on the black X next to it (removing the X). Next find whichever Ryu version ESP you copied to the Data folder and double click in the box next to it's name (now getting a black X). Click OK and then in the launcher click Exit (your changes have already been saved). Launch your game however you normally do and enjoy.

- Edit - Weather - All Natural is the most recent and recommended weather mod from what I've heard (don't use any of that type mod myself).

Edited by Striker879

Thank you all so much for your help, I apologize for not responding until now but things got unexpectedly busy for me lately and I will not be able to give these changes a try until this coming weekend.

When I do I shall let you know what happens. Thanks again everyone.