I have a big problem...

NWaldinger

First of all, thank you so much for clicking on my thread. I really screwed up and need help.

I'd like to start off by stating that I am by no means a computer wiz, the only ways I knew how to install mods was through the Nexus Mod Manager and Steam. So today I downloaded a mod, didn't like it, and undownloaded it. But then I played Skyrim and everytime it'd start from a new save it would say "MCM has registered 1 new menu" and I'd check it out and the mod was still there. So I exited Skyrim and made sure the mod was uninstalled from the Nexus Mod Manager. I went and downloaded the mod again, but this time the game would just crash before I could play. This is the bad part; I went and undownloaded the mod again from Nexus Mod Manager. Then I poked around in my Skyrim folders and started deleting everything that had the date "2/2/2014" because I figured all those files were just parts of the mod. Then as I started clearing out my Recycle Bin, I realized that it could've said "Modified on 2/2/2014". I tried salvaging whatever files I could, but I fear it's too late.

I tried verifying my game cache through Steam but that didn't work. There was always a message that would pop up after it crashed saying something like "could not initialize render" or something like that. I'd rather not have to uninstall and reinstall Skyrim, but I will only I absolutely have to. Below I attached screenshots of all my files. I Google'd some things and made sure my main files were where they should be but I could be completely off. If someone could please tell me what files I need and how to fix it that would be fantastic. All the pictures are in order, so the 4th one is a continuation of the 3rd one.

Please help, and thank you for taking the time to read this.

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/OwenYulefield/Problem1_zps74739a93.png

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/OwenYulefield/Problem2_zps8be996b1.png

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/OwenYulefield/Problem3_zps5aba78b1.png

http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y482/OwenYulefield/Problem4_zpsa4112aa8.png

You dun goofed buddy.
First off, how exactly did you "Undownload" a mod? :P
I'm assuming you mean uninstall?
Anyway, simply unsubscribing from a mod on the Steam Workshop won't uninstall or 'undownload' it.
It simply means that the next time you run the Skyrim launcher, it won't download it. You still have to manually delete the corresponding files.
In simpleton terms:
If you want to uninstall stupidmod1, if have to go to your Data folder and delete stupidmod1.esp and corresponding .bsa files, if there are any.

To fix this falied to initialize render problem you have, navigate to Documents/My Games/Skyrim and rename your Skyrim and SkyrimPrefs ini files to Skyrim1 and SkyrimPrefs1, for safety's sake.
Next up, run the Skyrim Launcher through Steam and hit Detect Hardware or Detect Options or whatever it says (I haven't launcher the Skyrim Launcher for such a long time. :P)

The problem I think you're having is that for some reason, your Skyrim ini is looking for a different Graphics Card model than what you have installed. I've never heard of that problem personally, but it seems logical.

Anyway, I hope this helps you!

Btw, if you're CTDing before you even get to the main menu, that's because you're missing a master file in your load order.
Gopher will most certainly help you out, check this video

That video is for FNVEdit for Fallout New Vegas, but it's exactly the same tool as TES5Edit, which you can find on the Nexus. The video is very informative and you will definitely benefit from watching it.

Best of luck!

Btw, if you would prefer to just add the model for your graphics card to SkyrimPrefs.ini, the line you're looking for is:

sD3DDevice="<your GPU here>"

Your model will likely be different, you have to make sure that in the quotes is your exact GPU model.

I have a GTX 680, so I would have

sD3DDevice="NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680"
Edited by Lukezkee

EDIT ON/

Before doing anything else, try copying

RendererInfo.txt from ...\Steam\SteamApps to

C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

/EDIT OFF

Mods would be in your Data folder, not in any of the others. It is never a good idea to randomly delete files like that. Especially from the wrong folder.

You may have deleted a SKSE component, so try re-installing it for a start off, then see if the game will run.

Also, to verify cache and game files, you should run the Vanilla launcher, not the SKSE launcher.

I always install manually, so I can't help you with NMM issues. I prefer to know what I am doing rather than rely on third party software. I do not even understand why you removed a mod you wanted gone and then downloaded it again. :blink:

I can only suggest you try verifying your game cache. If you have not randomly deleted a Steam component, rather than a Skyrim component, that should work.

However, if you have randomly deleted a Steam component, try updating the Steam client.

If that does not work, you might have to re-install Steam.

Go to your ...\Steam folder (might be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\)

Delete all of the contents of this folder EXCEPT
The Steamapps folder and Steam.exe (If 'exe' is not visible, look for the black and white Steam icon)
Delete any desktop shortcut to Steam
Restart your computer.
Launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder (not any pre-existing shortcut.)
This process will not affect your currently installed games.

If that works, promise me you'll never do anything so daft again.

If it does not work, we might have to try something more drastic.

~.~

Why is the OP's RendererInfo.txt in ...\Steam\SteamApps?

Mine is in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

Did you just randomly move them from the trash to the Steam folder, rather than using the Restore button?

~

You dun goofed buddy.

First off, how exactly did you "Undownload" a mod? :tongue:

I'm assuming you mean uninstall?

Anyway, simply unsubscribing from a mod on the Steam Workshop won't uninstall or 'undownload' it.

It simply means that the next time you run the Skyrim launcher, it won't download it. You still have to manually delete the corresponding files.

In simpleton terms:

If you want to uninstall stupidmod1, if have to go to your Data folder and delete stupidmod1.esp and corresponding .bsa files, if there are any.

To fix this falied to initialize render problem you have, navigate to Documents/My Games/Skyrim and rename your Skyrim and SkyrimPrefs ini files to Skyrim1 and SkyrimPrefs1, for safety's sake.

Next up, run the Skyrim Launcher through Steam and hit Detect Hardware or Detect Options or whatever it says (I haven't launcher the Skyrim Launcher for such a long time. :tongue:)

The problem I think you're having is that for some reason, your Skyrim ini is looking for a different Graphics Card model than what you have installed. I've never heard of that problem personally, but it seems logical.

Anyway, I hope this helps you!

Btw, if you're CTDing before you even get to the main menu, that's because you're missing a master file in your load order.

Gopher will most certainly help you out, check this video here.

That video is for FNVEdit for Fallout New Vegas, but it's exactly the same tool as TES5Edit, which you can find on the Nexus. The video is very informative and you will definitely benefit from watching it.

Best of luck!

I'll break my replies up:

- Yes, I meant un-install a mod :tongue:

- I am not crashing before the main menu, it is only when I hit "start" or just try to start playing the game. I'll go to the load screen for a second or two and it'll crash.

- I will try this out and let you know how it goes. I'm currently making back-ups of my saves and backing up Skyrim and Creation Kit

EDIT ON/

Before doing anything else, try copying

RendererInfo.txt from ...\Steam\SteamApps to

C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

/EDIT OFF

Mods would be in your Data folder, not in any of the others. It is never a good idea to randomly delete files like that. Especially from the wrong folder.

You may have deleted a SKSE component, so try re-installing it for a start off, then see if the game will run.

Also, to verify cache and game files, you should run the Vanilla launcher, not the SKSE launcher.

I always install manually, so I can't help you with NMM issues. I prefer to know what I am doing rather than rely on third party software. I do not even understand why you removed a mod you wanted gone and then downloaded it again. :blink:

I can only suggest you try verifying your game cache. If you have not randomly deleted a Steam component, rather than a Skyrim component, that should work.

However, if you have randomly deleted a Steam component, try updating the Steam client.

If that does not work, you might have to re-install Steam.

Go to your ...\Steam folder (might be C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\)

Delete all of the contents of this folder EXCEPT
The Steamapps folder and Steam.exe (If 'exe' is not visible, look for the black and white Steam icon)
Delete any desktop shortcut to Steam
Restart your computer.
Launch Steam.exe from within the Steam installation folder (not any pre-existing shortcut.)
This process will not affect your currently installed games.

If that works, promise me you'll never do anything so daft again.

If it does not work, we might have to try something more drastic.

~.~

First off, I am sorry :sad: I shouldn't have started deleting things, but I guess I have to learn the hard way.

- I will try to re-install SKSE

- Don't I verify cache and game files through the Steam client? That's what I did and it says something like "1 file has been found missing and will be replaced" but it doesn't fix anything

- I don't think I'll need to reinstall Steam, I'm pretty sure I deleted something for Skyrim and not for Steam

Thank you two very much for replying. I will do what Lukezkee recommended and if that does not work then I will try to reinstall SKSE. If that doesn't work I'll try to update the Steam Client. And if THAT doesn't work.... I'll probably try and reinstall Skyrim.

Edited by NWaldinger

Why is the OP's RendererInfo.txt in ...\Steam\SteamApps?

Mine is in C:\Users\UserName\Documents\My Games\Skyrim

Did you just randomly move them from the trash to the Steam folder, rather than using the Restore button?

~

I did just randomly move them, but there is already a RendererInfo.txt in MyGames/Skyrim.

I don't think it's just the Renderer now, it doesn't give me an explanation. I tried verifying game cache again and this time I launched through Steam Client, but that didn't work... Off to re-download/install SKSE...

Ninja'd again! By the same guy! :D

Yes, info on the card should be in rendererinfo.txt and that may be part of the problem.

~

Gotcha! :P

Anyway, OP, perhaps you accidentally deleted files installed by mods that your save depended on.

What was the mod you didn't like and uninstalled, by the way?

And can I see your load order?

If you don't have any mod, it may be worth uninstalling and reinstalling everything, then run BOSS and show us your log.

Ninja'd again! By the same guy! :D

Yes, info on the card should be in rendererinfo.txt and that may be part of the problem.

~

Gotcha! :P

Anyway, OP, perhaps you accidentally deleted files installed by mods that your save depended on.

What was the mod you didn't like and uninstalled, by the way?

And can I see your load order?

If you don't have any mod, it may be worth uninstalling and reinstalling everything, then run BOSS and show us your log.

I can't even remember the name of the mod, I was extremely frustrated all day and can't even remember it :P

First thing, where can I find my load order to show it to you? And what is BOSS?